Old 04-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #65
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Slowmo,
Interesting bout the Dans.
I bought a very heavily built Danforth from Dunlap Industrial Supply in Everett. Was 35lbs as I recall and on my 30’ Willard that nearly a monster. This no name Dan had beefy low aspect ratio flukes and a 3/4” thick shank. Very beefy thing. Never did get it wet and don't remember what happened to it. Seems to me it had a wider throat angle probably aiming for short scope work. It was said the anchor was made by a salvage company in their own shop.

Have you seen the thread “Anchor Setting Videos”? I think I saw a Claw break out vertically. As in the fluke end of the anchor popping straight up. That was the strangest thing I ever saw an anchor do. Gonna go back and make sure I wasn’t seeing things. That’s what made me think about the throat angle. If the throat angle was wide it would force the fluke to be in an inverted way at a very high angle of attack. Under high rode tension the shank tip would be pressing down on the seafloor and then if the fluke abruptly “stalled” it could break out vertically. That’s the only explanation I can produce.

I found the Bruce test where the anchor broke out vertically ... post #118.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote