Generator fuel hard line leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
This just started to leak pretty bad, as in spraying fuel. No amount of tightening will make it stop. Cracked line? Doesn’t seem to be. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DE5A878B-8462-4A15-95E4-8287D1EF8919.jpg
    DE5A878B-8462-4A15-95E4-8287D1EF8919.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 116
  • A9AC2034-7EDD-4F73-8965-D79089A96A33.jpg
    A9AC2034-7EDD-4F73-8965-D79089A96A33.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 125
Hard to tell but it doesn't look like the threads are lined up properly.

Take off the fitting and check both mating surfaces for any foreign matter and cracks.

Next, ensure the fitting is square on the threads when reassembling.

And if the line itself is cracked, turns out it's easy to replace once you get an copper kit to flare and cut copper.

If a high pressure injector line...best if steel....even if you are to ay premium for OEM...also because length is critical ( but I didn't know the tolerances)

I also suspect the nut is cross threaded. It also looks dirty, and appears that it was wrenched with pliers? Spray it with brake kleen, then inspect it carefully as mentioned before, and make sure the nut isn't cross threaded. Use a righteous wrench on it. It's a specialty flare connection, so it should spin pretty free right up to where it's tightening the flare. BTW, that's a steel injector line. If the nut is boogered up, you may have to get an OEM replacement line assembly. Good luck with the repair.

Last edited:
And if the line itself is cracked, turns out it's easy to replace once you get an copper kit to flare and cut copper.

Yep, had to do the same on one of ours last year.
A few bucks on eBay

Definitely not cross threaded. This line just decided to spring a leak. I even tried to snug it before removing it. I removed and re installed about 4 times trying to see what’s going on. The nut spins feely until it snugs.

When bumping the starter and watching closely, it almost appears to be leaking out of the back of the nut. Look closely at the end of the hard line right before it flares. It almost seems like a flared cap was pressed into the line. It seems to be leaking from there. Me messing with the line had made the leak much worse.

Do they sell pre bent injector lines? If they do that would make this a 5 minute fix.

The actual injection line shown can not be replaced with copper. Copper will fatigue and fail. These are steel purpose made for the cyclic high injection pressure.

Sounds like line may have cracked right where it goes into the ferrule. Take whole line off and inspect. Crack may be hard to see.

These are purpose made for the engine model, don't try to make one fit, go to the mfr. Tractor shops are one source.

Probably a Mitsubishi K3D. Engine model is cast into side of block right under where injection pump seats.

When you locate a source keeping a full set on board is good insurance.

When you locate a source keeping a full set on board is good insurance.

I have Lehman 120s. Recently, one of the very crooked lines running from the injector pump began leaking through the nut that tightens the flared end to the pump. Brian at American Diesel suggested loosening the line and re-tightening it. Didn't work so I replaced the line with a spare I had on on-board. No more leak. Inspection of the flared end of the line revealed no obvious defect but probably a hairline crack developed not apparent to the naked eye. My opinion, replace the line with original equipment. I keep a set of six on board just in case. Five years ago, just three days after getting underway with our newly-purchased boat, one of these lines fractured having work-hardened as the result of being hard against a hose clamp. Diesel sprayed all over the place but we caught it fairly quickly. We tied up for the night on one engine, replaced the line in the morning, and continued on our way. Our boat came with a full set of six. Never leave home without them.

I have Lehman 120s. Recently, one of the very crooked lines running from the injector pump began leaking through the nut that tightens the flared end to the pump. Brian at American Diesel suggested loosening the line and re-tightening it. Didn't work so I replaced the line with a spare I had on on-board. No more leak. Inspection of the flared end of the line revealed no obvious defect but probably a hairline crack developed not apparent to the naked eye. My opinion, replace the line with original equipment. I keep a set of six on board just in case. Five years ago, just three days after getting underway with our newly-purchased boat, one of these lines fractured having work-hardened as the result of being hard against a hose clamp. Diesel sprayed all over the place but we caught it fairly quickly. We tied up for the night on one engine, replaced the line in the morning, and continued on our way. Our boat came with a full set of six. Never leave home without them.

That’s exactly what’s going on with mine.

I’ll start looking for new injector lines.

Thank you
Steve

That’s exactly what’s going on with mine.

I’ll start looking for new injector lines.

Thank you
Steve

No need to look. Just call Brian at American Diesel. He will have what you need in stock. He will need to know which one. From the front of the engine, the lines are numbered from one to six on the injector pump going to the back of the engine.

No need to look. Just call Brian at American Diesel. He will have what you need in stock. He will need to know which one. From the front of the engine, the lines are numbered from one to six on the injector pump going to the back of the engine.

I believe the OP is working on a Westerbeke, at least that's what the photos appear to be. 3 cyl. 8KW? Tractor dealer. Westerbeke will be 2 prices.

Yep, easy to see not a Lehman.

I believe the OP is working on a Westerbeke, at least that's what the photos appear to be. 3 cyl. 8KW? Tractor dealer. Westerbeke will be 2 prices.

That’s correct. Tractor dealers will have them? What kind of dealer?

I’d imagine Westerbeke will be expensive.

Also a reminder of how dangerous the fuel pressure in those lines can be, don’t go searching for high pressure leaks with your fingers or any other body part. Just saying.

Also a reminder of how dangerous the fuel pressure in those lines can be, don’t go searching for high pressure leaks with your fingers or any other body part. Just saying.

Right. It was tough to see where it was coming from because when it was running because the fuel was a fine mist. But bumping the starter allowed me to see where it was leaking from.

That’s correct. Tractor dealers will have them? What kind of dealer?

I’d imagine Westerbeke will be expensive.

Ref post #9 by Ski- Mitsubishi? Kubota?

Finally got to the boat. Looks like it’s a Mitsubishi K3D

Attachments

• FE1BB17D-6283-4D03-A6E9-2670E35C84CC.jpg
    FE1BB17D-6283-4D03-A6E9-2670E35C84CC.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom