New Wet Exhaust - Sealant or no sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsplichal2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Czech Mate
Vessel Make
President 41
Hi all,
Spring boat projects going on here. I changed the wet exhaust hose on my port engine and after an epic battle was finally able to pry/cut/jimmy the hose off the muffler. Included is a pic of the muffler and my question is with that no barb smooth bore, should I put some type of sealant on there or just crank down the hose clamps?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 54
No sealant needed. Double clamp it. The hose won’t come off by accident. Don’t over tighten the clamps. That can damage the hose. Some people recommend putting silicone grease on to make it easier to remove next time. I’ve never tried that.

Last edited:
I would not put anything on it. Just use 2 good quality T bolt clamps.

Greetings,
Mr. js. Given the rigidity of exhaust tubing you might lubricate the hose with soapy water or that Kentucky Jelly stuff to make it easier to install. Clamp as suggested above.

Last edited:
Bam. Clamp it is. Thank you all.

If you have trouble getting it to slide over the muffler tailpiece and need some lube, I'd go for silicone grease. Any petroleum product will go after the rubber and soften it- so avoid any petroleum product (vaseline is petroleum jelly), it's no good for rubber parts. Dish soap may provide a lube, but it has a tendency to de-grease the surfaces, and once the soap dries out in the heat of the exhaust, it really grabs the hose and it can be nearly impossible to remove. If you have access to plumbing grease that's used on rubber gaskets for underground piping, that stuff is a great lube, it won't dry out and grab, and it won't attack the rubber. (It's soap) That would be my 1st choice.

As others recommended, T-bolt clamps. You can crush the fiberglass if you get ham-fisted with them, and it's a real good practice to use tef-gel on the threads since they're stainless on stainless and have a tendency to gall very easily, even with light lube.

All very good advice.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom