Tender for the kid(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ventana

Vessel Name
Ventana
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Our boat came with a couple of small single kayaks. Last weekend we finally got them in the water, and it is a bit too cramped for both myself and our 6 almost 7 daughter to fit in the same one. Thinking we need to add to the fleet, and looking for ideas. I've never used a stand-up paddleboard but they seem to be very popular. We might be able to cram another kayak up top, or make brackets to mount them outboard of the rails. Open to other ideas, anything that doesn't include the giant inflatable unicorns for sale on Amazon.

We currently have two inflatable SUPs and use them frequently when at anchor. Our girls love them and paddle around for hours when we're just chilling in Lake Washington or even at a marina. We generally keep them inflated all season but when they deflate they roll up and fit into backpacks we store under the salon couch.

We eventually plan to add two single kayaks for more "robust" exploring when at anchor and will likely add cradles on top of the pilothouse to keep them secure and so the boat deck remains clear. Double or triple kayaks only take up a little more space (forward and aft) but we don't think we'll actually use them as tandems.

It's really nice to get out and move around in silence, explore shorelines up close, check out beaches and places the boat or dingy wouldn't fit. It's also really nice to get a little exercise or "me time" out on the water.

Last edited:
A 13 ft Boston Whaler is great dink, and safe enough for the kids.

A 2 stroke (light) 18-25 HP will tow skiers or get folks ashore in jig time.

On a much smaller boat than yours I keep two 10' kayaks, two 10' inflatable paddle boards, a roll up inflatable dinghy. Sometimes I tow a Minto sailing dinghy. The more the merrier, especially with kids.

8 ft Walker Bay is light and rows easy.

Attachments

• 64914F5F-BB01-458F-B353-85F32127442C.jpg
    64914F5F-BB01-458F-B353-85F32127442C.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I should have mentioned we also carry a 10' Zodiac RIB. The kayaks and/or paddleboards are for quiet playing at anchor. I would carry a sailing dingy as well if I had room, but I won't give up the RIB for fishing and crabbing. I'm just trying to get some real-world experience for use with a 6 year old.

This is the one usage where I could recommend a rubber duckie. Soon they may not like boating though.

If you like a kayak and real paddling there are many kayaks w big or extended cockpits. Eddyline makes a wonderful small kayak w a big cockpit that is so good you won’t be able to classify it as a kids kayak ... you’ll want them for yourself and other adults. Called a Pelican I think.

What we did for our kids was carry a old 10' zodiac ( plywood removable bottom type) and one of the 3hp Tohatsu outboards. In a protected anchorage the kids would putt around and visit other boats and just have a grand time. The grab bag had a horn, a whistle, a flashlight, a handheld vhf, and a extra 1 gallon fuel tank with easy pour spout. Of course the boat was also able to be rowed if necessary.

When they were out cruising around I spent my time on the flybridge keeping a eye out for them, I always had my own RIB ready at a moments notice if trouble arose.. it never did. I figured in a contained anchorage they were pretty safe.. although I was chastised a couple times by overbearing moms that thought it was irresponsible to let them out by themselves. Needless to say they both survived unscathed.

I still chuckle at remembering the day they figured out that they could actually get the dinghy to plane if they hung out over the nose and got the weight distributed just right.. this out of 5-1/2 and a 8 yr. old girls. The independence this fostered probably was part of what has made both of them impressive self assured successful women. They will probably shake their heads when I do the same thing someday with my grand kids!

HOLLYWOOD

At that age we went the inflatable kayak route. We would deflate and store in between trips. During a trip we would inflate at the first stop, and when we traveled to a new spot I would lash the kayaks in between the transom and the boat dink. Those Kayaks are pretty durable. We still have one of the two we had.

In this photo Josh is just turned 7, headed to the beach in the rain with sand toys. This was Easter 2007.

DSC03050 fixed.jpg

Here he is about to land at the beach...

DSC03017.jpg

We also had a little inflatable row boat. I made a wood floor panel for it and the kids would row the dog to shore. In this photo the rower, Jessica, is 12 and Ariel is 10.

DSC03020 fixed.jpg

Really love the paddle boards, we have 2 hard ones on the upper deck on mounts that go on the outside of the rails. My partner and our 5 year old go out on it pretty often, even the dog will go for rides.
The ranger is another great dinghy and I’m wondering if you could stern mount it on the kk42, we carry ours on the bow. Super stable, sails and rows great and built like a tank. When my son gets older I’ll put a small motor on it for him.
We have been debating other craft but so far these seem to work great for us.

What we did for our kids was carry a old 10' zodiac ( plywood removable bottom type) and one of the 3hp Tohatsu outboards. In a protected anchorage the kids would putt around and visit other boats and just have a grand time. The grab bag had a horn, a whistle, a flashlight, a handheld vhf, and a extra 1 gallon fuel tank with easy pour spout. Of course the boat was also able to be rowed if necessary.

When they were out cruising around I spent my time on the flybridge keeping a eye out for them, I always had my own RIB ready at a moments notice if trouble arose.. it never did. I figured in a contained anchorage they were pretty safe.. although I was chastised a couple times by overbearing moms that thought it was irresponsible to let them out by themselves. Needless to say they both survived unscathed.

I still chuckle at remembering the day they figured out that they could actually get the dinghy to plane if they hung out over the nose and got the weight distributed just right.. this out of 5-1/2 and a 8 yr. old girls. The independence this fostered probably was part of what has made both of them impressive self assured successful women. They will probably shake their heads when I do the same thing someday with my grand kids!

HOLLYWOOD

My sister and I had the exact same thing growing up, I think it was a Suzuki 4hp, such fun. And with a slow sailboat we use to spend hours just cruising around in the dink when the sailboat was underway. Now I’m thinking I need a little inflatable too :)

Thanks all. Our upper deck is getting crowded with the Zodiac, 2 kayaks, crab and shrimp traps, overflow storage...... but I think we could fit a paddleboard between the kayaks. Sounds like it would be a good option for our daughter as well. Good thing we don’t cruise somewhere that ever sees sun where we would want to hang out up there.

Have you tried these racks, total game changer for us, we keep them on the inside of the upper deck rails during the winter, then the outside of the rails during summer which leaves the upper deck open, the small size fits two paddle boards or a kayak, the big size fits a paddle board and a kayak.
https://www.storeyourboard.com/stainless-steel-kayak-boat-rack-rail-mount/

Have you tried these racks, total game changer for us, we keep them on the inside of the upper deck rails during the winter, then the outside of the rails during summer which leaves the upper deck open, the small size fits two paddle boards or a kayak, the big size fits a paddle board and a kayak.
https://www.storeyourboard.com/stainless-steel-kayak-boat-rack-rail-mount/

I’ve seen them and like them.
We are coming from a flush deck high latitudes sailboat where I didn’t even want dock lines to stay on deck, so a big, fat trawler piled with all kinds of gear is a big jump for us, but I am warming quickly to the idea.

I have had an inflatable SUP for a few seasons now. I am a novice SUP user, so take my comments accordingly. My experience was limited to an hour on a rigid SUP rental before purchasing one.

I went with a Saturn “performance” model about 12’ long thinking it would be fast and have space for the small doggy that follows me around. It has been good at both, and the quality of the Saturn seems to be fine.

Things I like about the inflatable - easy to get on and off the boat, no scratching gelcoat or broken windows. I roll it up in the off season. Does not leak much air.

From what I read, I don’t believe it performs as well as a rigid SUP. Fortunately, no one has attempted to race and embarrass me in a quiet anchorage, yet. I have seen similar inflatables that are shorter and priced attractively at Costco and Coastal. If my Saturn were to vanish tomorrow, I would consider other brands but DEFINITELY replace it (and fast) with another inflatable SUP.

Good Luck

Keep a darn good watch on kids in condom dinks.

If a breeze comes up even a world class Olympic rower cant make progress.

An air horn or 2 might be a wise investment

Last edited:
After using an inflatable sup and a glass one I would highly recommend the solid if you have space. Much more stabile which is important especially around the PacNW where you don’t want to end up in the water and also much faster. We ended up deciding to get a second ridged one.

After using an inflatable sup and a glass one I would highly recommend the solid if you have space. Much more stable which is important especially around the PacNW where you don’t want to end up in the water and also much faster. We ended up deciding to get a second rigid one.
Some inflatables are worse than others. We had a Caribe, some friends had a Sea Eagle. The Sea Eagle was much faster through the water, so we got one of those as well. The kids don't mind the Caribe, as it's a bit more stable. But you make an excellent point about stability and water temp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom