Mainship shuts down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yachtbrokerguy

Commercial Member
Vessel Make
I have keys to lots of boats...
This article was in Soundings- Trade Only.
<h2 class="contentheading">Luhrs Marine Group stops production</h2> Posted on 09 February 2012 *

Luhrs Marine Group - the builder of Silverton, Luhrs, Mainship and Ovation boats - went into shutdown mode beginning Monday, the company confirmed to Soundings Trade Only.

The Millville, N.J.-based company said in a message to its dealers that it would shut down production for 60 to 90 days to allow boat orders to accumulate in its pipeline.

As everyone will agree, we have all been affected in some way or another by these hard economic times the past three years, the company said. We have fought hard to avoid this decision, but it is the best solution to the current state of affairs.

The company told its dealers, We hope you will continue to promote our products and keep in touch with our sales team so that with your help we can again start producing the excellent products of the Luhrs Marine Group.

Ouch. Let's hope this is temporary. Nordic Tugs went through this a year or so ago and seemed to bounce back okay.

Thanks for posting this Tucker.

Wow. That certainly would be a chunk out of the competition for a while. Not sure about the numbers of Luhrs and Ovation, but Silverton and Mainship make a bunch of boats.

healhustler wrote:
Wow. That certainly would be a chunk out of the competition for a while. Not sure about the numbers of Luhrs and Ovation, but Silverton and Mainship make a bunch of boats.
*Silverton in Millville slowed to a trickle a few years back or last year.... out of something like 20 models a few years ago they were down to just a handful or so.

Conrad wrote:
Ouch. Let's hope this is temporary. Nordic Tugs went through this a year or so ago and seemed to bounce back okay.

Nordic Tug is still struggling and has cut back to a skeleton crew at their Burlington plant.* As of last weekend, there were quite a few*tugs on my dock for sale, but most are used.* Doesn't look like they are making too many spec. boats at this point.*

One of the owners, Jim Cress, was killed in a motorcycle accident about two years ago and*one*of their investors pulled out more recently.* A lot of rumors flying right now, but I'm hearing they are running the plant in a limited production mode, hoping the economy picks up.

It is very difficult to sell something that nobody needs, and if taken care of will last for a very long time.

Egregious wrote:
It is very difficult to sell something that nobody needs, and if taken care of will last for a very long time.
*Exactly!

And which now has a large inventory of good, recent boats on the used market.
Hope they do ok and survive. I've always admired the boats, just can't afford one.

The GOOD boats will be here a long time , many others are cheaper to cut up than think of repairing.

For GRP , its really easy , if it flexes under normal loading , its assured DEATH is sooner , rather than later.

Edelweiss wrote:Conrad wrote:

Nordic Tug is still struggling and has cut back to a skeleton crew at their Burlington plant.* As of last weekend, there were quite a few*tugs on my dock for sale, but most are used.* Doesn't look like they are making too many spec. boats at this point.*

One of the owners, Jim Cress, was killed in a motorcycle accident about two years ago and*one*of their investors pulled out more recently.* A lot of rumors flying right now, but I'm hearing they are running the plant in a limited production mode, hoping the economy picks up.

*That's too bad; I've noticed that their website is pretty moribund these days so I guess that's a clue.*

As you say, let's hope the economy picks up soon.

Back
Top Bottom