Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diverrob

Vessel Name
Sounder
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Hi all

I have a 2007 Mainship 34 trawler and want to switch the bulbs in the stateroom to LED but can’t figure out a way to easily access them. It sounds simple I know however I have looked at this many different ways without any joy. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, thanks

Rob

Attachments

• 80A15B4C-1F44-4376-9F64-77F8A598F0CC.jpg
    80A15B4C-1F44-4376-9F64-77F8A598F0CC.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 9E881E9A-BEDD-4EF7-9186-7B4E26C92EC0.jpg
    9E881E9A-BEDD-4EF7-9186-7B4E26C92EC0.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1691778B-9BB2-4AC6-99C9-4C8F99572BDA.jpg
    1691778B-9BB2-4AC6-99C9-4C8F99572BDA.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 65
Look for a very small hex nut (allen nut) holding the outer ring. Failing that put a bit of pressure on the outer ring to see if it unscrews.

Look for a very small hex nut (allen nut) holding the outer ring. Failing that put a bit of pressure on the outer ring to see if it unscrews.

Fantastic thanks so much, I knew it would be something simple that my old eyes did not see ??

Try spinning the bezel counterclockwise. Some at like a toggle bolt with two wire 'wings' which are spring loaded.

Try gently prying up on the edge of the fixture. There are a lot of lights on the market that are held in place with spring loaded ears. To install The ears are folded back and the light pushed through a hole. The ears then spring open and hold it in place.

This link goes to a light made by SeaDog with a drawing that should make it clear.
Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

Thanks guys, I haven’t had the time to get back to the boat this week to check. I have tried already to pry them thinking that they were the same as the others in the boat (the ones with wings and springs) but no joy with that unfortunately.

Rob

Rob
Take a look at my Bacchus website. I have links to the BOM and parts photos for MS 34T/HTs. You should be able to find those along w the mfg/supplier
A mfg web search will likely provide more detailed dwgs for their part.

WoW that’s quite the site and yes I found the light and it looks like a spring tentions one similar to the ones in the main salon so I will just try to pri it a bit more firmly. Thanks very much!

Rob

Diver...

I've had the larger ones out to replace d LEDs but not those.
Glad it helped

Careful with the springs. They can be like mouse traps on your fingers!

WoW that’s quite the site and yes I found the light and it looks like a spring tentions one similar to the ones in the main salon so I will just try to pri it a bit more firmly. Thanks very much!

Rob

The bezels looks slightly similar (but not exactly the same) as some of ours... if so, maybe a DRSA product...

Anyway, our bezels "unscrew" -- where a bit of upward pressure and then some twisting will clear the back of the bezel from 3 or maybe 4 very small tabs that hold the things up.

-Chris

Hi Rob,

They do pry out with some difficulty. I removed one yesterday. I used a thin putty knife (plastic may be better) to gently separate the headliner that will be stuck to the back side of the bezel. Then gently but with great effort was able to pry them loose. The bulb is a MR16 12V 20W. I ordered replacement LED bulbs from Amazon so that I could keep the fixtures. The side Salon lights under the blind valances are also being replaced, but ordered the entire puck style LED light. I haven't come up with a good solution for the Salon ceiling lights yet.

Good Luck,

Todd

Todd & Rob
I have replaced both the lg dia and small window valance lights w LED. Used flat small dia side pin ones from SuperBrightzLEDs. Not where I can get part #s.
I did find that in some situations the LEDs interfere w TV reception. Haven't noticed VHF interference but do not typically boat at night often and usually have interior dark so not a big risk.

I changed mine. Put tape around a paint scrapper. Get it under the rim next to the headliner. Pry it down, it will move. Just be careful. There are 2 springs that will snap against your fingers! Don't ask how I know that. The rest is easy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom