Mainship 390 is it the right boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xraycharlie

Veteran Member
I want to purchase a trawler yacht for the purposes of going south to Florida for the winter months from the Chesapeake Bay when I retire. My wife and I would take her down each fall and then*return home (by airplane) for the holidays then return to Florida and live/explore for the cold months with the occasional trip back North for special occasions, the bring her back north for the summer months.*Taking into consideration*finances*and the fact that I'm not fond on constanly working on an older*boat (don't mind some work on a boat) I have determined the Mainship 390 (1999-2005) would be my best choice (would love a Kadey or Nordhavn but can't afford them). I plan to charter a Mainship 40 soon to see how I like that boat (which is the closest to the 390 I have been able to find in a charter fleet without going to the Virgin Islands or Canada. Could I get some feedback from other 390 owners about this plan?

Nothing wrong with your plan.* But you might also look at a Mainship 34t that were built from 2004-2009.* They have as much room as the 390 which was first marketed as a 350 and then remeasured as a 390 from Bow to Stern.* As has the 34 been remeasured as a 395 in 2011.

The main difference between a 350/390 and a 34t is that the 350/390 has a second suite and the 34t has a down galley in that same space.* We find no need for the second suite as the 34t has an increase in the size if the Salon and has a convertible couch that works for the few times we have guests.* Another feature is that the 34t has the engine room access out in that aft cockpit and not inside of the boat through a floor hatch.* This leads to very good noise control while underway, no engine or diesel smells in the boat and you do not have to tear up the inside of the boat to check the oil.

There are a couple of different engines.* In the early 04 models the standard engine is a*Yanmar is a 6LY and is 315 HP.* The Cummins was an upgrade for $20k.**Sometime in 05 and through 09 the standard engine became the 6LYA which is 370 HP and the Cummins was still an option.* I looked at two with the Cummings engines and actually tried to buy a 07 with one but could not get to the price I wanted to pay so I went with the Yanmar 6LYA in a 2006 boat.* I have put almost 200 hours on he since I have owned her and I do not have one complaint.* She runs at 2k rpm and the boat is moving at 7-8 kts depending on the current and wind.* She burns somewhere between 4.5 -5 Gal an hour at that speed.* She can get up and go at 3,200 to 16 knots and God only knows what that burn rate is because I don't run her there for long.* Just to make a bridge or due to wave conditions for a short period.

A nice clean*example in the mid range of years 06-07*can be bought for about $170k well maintained and with all of the bells and whistles. There are plenty to look at on the East Coast.* When I was looking I looked at over of them.* I used a buying broker and it paid off quite well.* A good one will save you a ton of money. The selling brokers don't particularly like it sometime but when the deal crosses their desk with a $20k deposit check and a buyer that can buy the boat, their tune changes.

Charlie,
we bought our 2003 390 several years ago and so far it's been a great boat. It is very comfortable and easy to handle and maintain. the rudder is small for the size of the boat so the bow thruster becomes a must in tight quarters. When you're looking, be sure the swim platform has the access ports installed. If not, it means that the leaking platform has not been addressed. About the only other problems you will come across is the rollers for the rear and side door will ultimately fail and need to be replaced. We particularly like the molded in steps to the flybridge that Mainship uses in all of their later boats and the wide protected side decks. Even in very bad weather its is easy to get up and down from the bridge and up to the bow.
Like JD, we have the 370 HP Yanmar and it is a very reliable engine. he must have twins if he can reach 16 kts. At max rpm of 3200 we can hit 14 kts. Our normal cruise is 1850 rpm's that gives us 8.5 kts and a fuel burn of 3 gph. Every few hours we will run it up to 2600 rpm's to get the turbo working. We run the Chesapeake regularly and the boat handles the 4-5' chop that can hit during thunderstorms as long as you keep the bow into the waves.
I think chartering the 400 first would be a good move. they are very similar boats (as is the 34T and the current 395)
Good luck
John

johnma wrote:Like JD, we have the 370 HP Yanmar and it is a very reliable engine. he must have twins if he can reach 16 kts. At max rpm of 3200 we can hit 14 kts.
John

Sorry single only and 16.2 kts*is possible in light chop / air.* I'm not sure*that the 390 and 34t are exactly the same hull shape under the water.* We have a tunnel for the prop and I don't think the 390 does.* That will make a difference ask Nordhavn about their 35' failure.

JD
The front part of the hull is similar, but you're right, we don't have a tunnel. The original 350 hull was built with a bolt on swim platform like most other Mainships but there was apparently handling problems so they changed (i think on hull #2) to the large platform that is hollow and is partially submerged. the platform has the trim tabs built in to it (useles on a single engine as it won't get up on plane) the platform looks like its molded in, but its not, its bolted on and glassed over. It does add to the waterline length and acts like a large trim tab that keeps the bow down. I also like the platform because it's pretty long and I store my dingy on it standing on its side and still have enough room to open the transom dore and walk behind it.

John

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. One thing I noticed from internet searching was the small refrigerator on the 34t, JD has that been a problem at all for you? Do any of these models have a washer/dryer on them?

-- Edited by Xraycharlie on Thursday 16th of February 2012 03:41:05 PM

Xraycharlie wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. One thing I noticed from internet searching was the small refrigerator on the 34t, JD has that been a problem at all for you? Do any of these models have a washer/dryer on them?

-- Edited by Xraycharlie on Thursday 16th of February 2012 03:41:05 PM
*Sorry I was away for a couple of days. No the fridge is plenty big.*If you keep soda and beer cold by way of a cooler on longer trips.*I did install a cooling fan that lowered the temp inside the fridge and would be glad to explain at some later date if you need it.

There is no place for the W/D on the 34t*but the 400 does have room under the steps.* But that discussion is worse than the twins verses single discussion.

Back
Top Bottom