GPS - Chart Plotter Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdscott3

Vessel Name
Harvest Moon
Vessel Make
1981 Grand Banks Classic 42’
I need to update electronics and I look at these as a necessities instead of fun. Any recommendations for a good setup < $2,000?
If I'm mistaken on my limit what do you recommend? I'm headed up to Alaskan from Anacortes in June so that's the type of use it will get. I'm currently using a B/W Standard Horizon that came with the boat. It's been sworn at more than a few times. PS I also have dated Radar but thought I'd live with it for several more years.

Thanks in advance - Jim
Anacortes, WA
1981 GB Classic 42
Single John Deere 6068

I need to update electronics and I look at these as a necessities instead of fun. Any recommendations for a good setup < $2,000?
If I'm mistaken on my limit what do you recommend? I'm headed up to Alaskan from Anacortes in June so that's the type of use it will get. I'm currently using a B/W Standard Horizon that came with the boat. It's been sworn at more than a few times. PS I also have dated Radar but thought I'd live with it for several more years.

Thanks in advance - Jim
Anacortes, WA
1981 GB Classic 42
Single John Deere 6068

There is a set of Raymarine Chartplotters for sale in the classifieds on this site. Dated but solid units.

On the new side, a 2k budget will get you something in the 7” to 9” range from any manufacturer.

Factor in that you’re headed to areas that are remote, so I’d look at nav gear as essential and budget accordingly.

Furuno, Simrad, Raymarine, Garmin. All work well. The major differences are in the human/machine interface. Another big consideration is chart coverage and cost for the charting system used. Find out what system each brand uses (Navionics, C-Map, etc.) and ask around to see which system has better/accurate charts for the area you will be cruising in. Also check to see how much the chart chips will cost for your cruising area. That may well be the deciding factor.

Since you mentioned your aging radar, you might want to consider which system has more friendly, reliable radar options as well as the cost of adding radar since you will eventually replace your radar and the new systems all are plug and play for "their" radar.

I am in the same boat (pun intended) my new (to me) Jefferson 42 is scant on electronics. Though I have a modestly higher budget, I want both upper and lower helms similar y equip oped and integrated. So I am looking at combo and expandable.

I am in the same boat (pun intended) my new (to me) Jefferson 42 is scant on electronics. Though I have a modestly higher budget, I want both upper and lower helms similar y equip oped and integrated. So I am looking at combo and expandable.

I'm a fan of Raymarine (and on the Pro Staff :D) so, for your Jefferson:

Flybridge/main helm station - 12" Axiom (touchscreen only) or Axiom Pro (touchscreen + hard button controls)

Salon/secondary station- 9" Axiom with intergrated sounder.

These 2 units are easily networkable, and you can add radar, transducer, autopilot, cameras, and any NMEA 2k gear you install.

Anything new you look at will likely have a NMEA 2000 interface, which is probably a good thing to allow future additions.
However one comment if you're aging like me (Ha), i'd not be satisfied with a 7" or 9" display, heck i'm not even that thrilled with my 12" displays so if I ever changed them I'd go 15" or as big an MFD as I could afford, which also allows multi or split display of charts and other things.
Lastly, if you find the cost of a good system is too much to tackle right now, a cheaper temporary option is to get a full size Apple iPad and run Nav software on it. This has been covered in other forum posts but as a reminder, if you buy an iPad with both WiFi + Cellular (you do not have to pay or activate a cell account for it) ensures you're getting an iPad with its own GPS antenna. therefore when you're up even on the way to Alaska, your iPad map should still know where it is.

Our #1 out of 4 devices is opencpn displayed on a 22 inch monitor.
Mouse driven so far easier than clicking buttons and toggling through menus.
Price is hard to beat.

Our #1 out of 4 devices is opencpn displayed on a 22 inch monitor.
Mouse driven so far easier than clicking buttons and toggling through menus.
Price is hard to beat.

I use OpenCPN and think it's very good. I agree a mouse and good monitor are preferable to a small MFD with buttons and or touch screen.

But, when Alaska bound from Washington you'll need need Canadian charts. You'll have to pay full price for Canadian charts and struggle with getting them installed. Rose Point sells Coastal Explorer bundled with Canadian Raster and Vector charts for a total price less than the Canadian Charts alone for OpenCPN.

But, when Alaska bound from Washington you'll need need Canadian charts. You'll have to pay full price for Canadian charts and struggle with getting them installed. Rose Point sells Coastal Explorer bundled with Canadian Raster and Vector charts for a total price less than the Canadian Charts alone for OpenCPN.

Well that's interesting. I've been looking at adding a PC based system and when comparing OpenCPN (free) to Coastal Explorer I had not considered the cost of charts. Thank you!

iPad for chart plotter?

I also have an iPad but when north of Port Hardy I can't get cell reception. I didn't think it was possible without a satellite phone. Am I missing something?

I also have an iPad but when north of Port Hardy I can't get cell reception. I didn't think it was possible without a satellite phone. Am I missing something?

If your iPad is wifi + cell, you have a built in GPS chip that does not need connection to work. You'l have to download your charts prior to going dark, but the iPad should work just fine.

This is one reason I don't recommend the iPad a a primary nav source, and prefer hardwired gear.

Makes sense, I was just watching a Raymarine Axiom commercial, it's tempting thanks.

I had a Raymarine system but a 17" laptop with Coastal Explorer was my main navigation and trip planning tool.

Makes sense, I was just watching a Raymarine Axiom commercial, it's tempting thanks.

If you are in the Seattle area, come by and I can demo the Axiom units on our boat. I work from home, so anytime is fine.

Our system:

• GS165 at the lower helm running Lighthouse 3 software (secondary helm station)
  • 19" monitor running OpenCpn on a Mac Mini at the lower helm
  • 2 Axion Pro 12' units on the flybridge (primary helm station)

networked to:

• Chetco Digital Seagauge Pro for NMEA 2k engine info
  • Raymarine Evolution AP400 autopilot
  • Raymarine 4' open array digital color radar
  • P79 shoot thru transducer
  • FLIR MD thermal camera
  • Emtrak AIS-B AIS transponder

Here's a video from the 2017 Vancouver International Boat Show, a seminar on electronics. Its general enough so that he even though the date is "dated," the generalizations are still true:

Last edited:
I had a Raymarine system but a 17" laptop with Coastal Explorer was my main navigation and trip planning tool.

Best bang for your buck, by far is Coastal explorer on any laptop, maybe one you already have (?).

$399, sometimes less. Complete West Coast coverage, including AK & HI. Free automatic updates in perpetuity; three installs included. Canadian charts are an extra $100.

For your $2000 budget, cheap laptop, big monitor, Coastal Ex., enough left over for that AIS you really want.

Last edited:
Yeah I was trying to not get into the debate over which of the big three (or four?) are better, but I happen to be a very happy Garmin customer, so my chartplotter, radar, AIS, AP are all Garmin... but i get that everyone tends to be faithful to what they know and are used to.
I only mention now because I just got the 2019 release map from Garmin that includes all US coastal and Canada west for about $220.
Maybe other suppliers have similar programs, but on a side note; if i have the maps on my Garmin chartplotter, I can also download them for no additional charge to a laptop or an iPad.....

If you go with Garmin, Simrad, Raymarine, Furuno, you will pay more than what I suggest below. Pricing, all in, just over $2,000 USD. This assumes your GPS is still functioning, which is quite likely. BTW, this is what I have and all other electronics are original and in some cases legacy equipment:

Intel NUC 7 Home NUC7i5BNKP: $560 USD
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Windows-256GB-Gunmetal-BOXNUC7I5BNKP/dp/B077BK34DN
Coastal Explorer: $399 USD
Coastal Explorer - Marine Navigation Software
Nemo Gateway: $699 USD
Coastal Explorer - Marine Navigation Software
EYOYO 15” Monitor: $150 USD
https://www.amazon.com/Eyoyo-1024x768-Camera-Monitor-Security/dp/B01N97SD0W
Canadian Hydrographic service Raster and ENC charts at $99 each, $198 for both. You download and install the Coastal Explorer and charts at home on WIFI. The Nemo Gateway will also need a firmware update. Note that Windows defender MUST be turned off while off the internet in order for CE to communicate with the Nemo gateway and bring in the electronics.
NOAA Hydrographic charts. Free.

All in, $2,015 USD, not including taxes, not including HDMI, ethernet cables or power adapter, say add another $100 max.

Optional: Wireless router.

Why this system? it runs on 12 VDC. Legacy electronics, come into the Nemo gateway via 0183. Easy to do. I'd leave the radar out of things for now, but you can easily bring in GPS and depth sounder.

The monitor is for interior use ONLY! If you run your boat from the fly bridge, you've got a problem. I have a dry pilothouse so this works for me. But a weather proof monitor is expensive, just so you know.

Edit: I bring home the NUC several times a year for Windows and Intel Driver updates, Coastal Explorer updates and chart updates.

Jim

Last edited:
I use OpenCPN and think it's very good. I agree a mouse and good monitor are preferable to a small MFD with buttons and or touch screen.

Cm93?

I just put on two Garmin 8610s, one with xsv. One feeds my 17" helm screen.

Around 2300.

Love them.

Someone was trying to tell me Furuno now lets you use free NOAA charts. I'm not seeing this anywhere. All I found was their NavNet 3D (discontinued) used MapMedia, bought by MaxSea, bought by TimeZero, which had that option - but you have to buy the $500 TimeZero software to get it.

Or is there another way?

To me, the two big factors are charts and monitors.

If you go totally open source, you'll find a large, daylight-readable, water-resistant touch-screen display, suitable for a flybridge, will eat of most of your savings. You may as well buy an off-the-shelf system.

If you want charts of anywhere but the US, they're often far cheaper to buy as a bundle from a hardware or software vendor, then directly from the government, again driving you to proprietary system.

Of course, if you have an enclosed pilot house, you can use a cheaper monitor and the open source solution starts to make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom