Exumas - 2019 Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchored off Sampson now. You headed north or south?
South

We're at Rudder Cut Cay, near the piano. Probably stay here tomorrow see what the WX does. Sampson is a nice spot. You know there's a tractor and remains of a crane boom on the bottom up in the bight? It's up toward the docks, but closer to the north shore. You can see it in good light. :)

We are going to nip around and anchor outside the Staniel "yacht club" today if there is room in that tiny anchorage. If not we will go between the Majors to the north of Fowl. The supply boat leaves Nassau today and gets to Staniel tomorrow. We are going to grab some fresh stuff from the grocery store.
We will hang around for a few days then next stop is off the beach south of black point (by the sand castle so long as that bit of south wind clears through). Aim is to be in Georgetown by Easter Saturday and services at St Theresa' s on Sunday. Stay for a day or two of the Family Regattas then off to Cat.
WX isn't looking too bad, mid-teens for the next week. Just need to tuck in.

Last edited:
Great writeup! I agree on the pigs. I’ve seen them once already (somewhere in Abaco) and don’t need to do it again.

A few years ago, my brother and his wife had flown in to meet us at Staniel Cay. We were anchored at Big Major and watched a seaplane land, taxi up to Pig Beach and let out some people to feed the pigs.

“These are just pigs, right?? he asked. “They don’t talk or do tricks or do math problems or anything?”

“They swim,” I replied.

“Don’t all pigs swim?” he said.

“Yeah, I think so.”.

:D

Snorkeled the deepest blue hole in the world today - great but... Interesting! :)

Interesting in what way? Details, man! ?

Video later.

You literally go from about 18 inches of water where it isn't deep enough to swim, then the bottom falls away, and I mean rapidly, you have a jagged edge of limestone, and then nothing - 660 plus feet of nothing. And you are laying there looking down at it, and wondering what is down there looking up at you!

Thank you so much for allowing us to follow along on your cruise adventures. :thumb:

Good read!

Any problems getting into some of the narrow cuts into protected anchorages? Some of them look pretty sketchy from videos I’ve watched.

My boat draws 4’. Does Sonas draw more than that?

We draw five.

Some of the cuts from the Sound to inside can be trecherous, especially with the prevailing winds and during an ebb tide. There are plenty of alternatives north of Farmers, where you can pick a cut based on wind direction but less options south.

Most of the time you have choices of anchorages with easy access. And there are plenty with tight entrances, but follow the charts and cruising guide and your eyes, and go slow, and all will be well.

A good example is the South entrance into the anchorage at Cambridge Cay, another is the north course entrance to between the Majors, and from between the Majors and Fowl Cay, which is deep and narrow and should only be attempted at or near slack tide.

But once you have been here a while you get a feel for the place, and get sensibly comfortable.

Good read!

Any problems getting into some of the narrow cuts into protected anchorages? Some of them look pretty sketchy from videos I’ve watched.

My boat draws 4’. Does Sonas draw more than that?

Cardude,

Not sure of Sonas' draft, we draw a solid 5 ft. Yes, the cuts are intimidating at first, but they are not as bad as the AC comments would have you believe!

They can get sloppy, particularly if wind and current are in opposition, but it doesn't last very long, and as Menzies said, you can pick & choose. If the wind's kicking, plan to go when wind & current are going the same direction, if possible. Most cuts are deep, it's the ride that's exciting, but not necessarily dangerous if you plan properly.

Keep in mind that the Explorer charts use Mean Low Water Springs, so the depths indicated are pretty much the lowest you'll see in extreme tides. The typical depths may run a foot (or more) better than the charted depths on a typical low. If you draw 4 ft, you can clear those 5 ft charted depths without panic. The other thing to remember about the Explorer charts is that they are very accurate! Don't run over the black coral heads, you can see them, and after a bit, you'll get the feel for "reading the water" and know what's safe and what's sketchy. In good light, you can pick your way into most any place with the charts as backup and your eyes as the final word.

Enjoy the Bahamas!!

Last edited:
Thank y’all for all the great info. I have not been to the Bahamas for two years and I’m nervous this time!

Thank y’all for all the great info. I have not been to the Bahamas for two years and I’m nervous this time!

I wouldn’t worry, too much. Last tine we were at Staniel Cay, we met two guys on kayaks who had paddled there from Florida. :D

Yeah, right. With some fifty footer support boats!

Yeah, right. With some fifty footer support boats!

Negative. They did it the the old fashioned way. They were both about 22, that age where you do things you shouldn’t, because you don’t know you can’t.
:D

The weirdest thing I saw (on our trip before last to the Bahamas), was a guy in a sixteen foot aluminum jon boat with a canvas enclosure who told us he had come all the way from Arkansas, who we ran into first at Highborne Cay, and kept seeing all the way to Georgetown. I’ve got pictures of that boat somewhere.

Last edited:

In the past couple of weeks we have been thru both Dotham and Conch cuts. both were deep and plenty wide enough, and both had about 2 1/2 knot current that lasted for only a few miles. Follow the charts, and you won't have any problems. Looking at the charts, it looks like there are a number of other easy cuts too.

Meet Hartmut Scholl. Hartmut paddled his inflatable SUP board up to our transom at Lee Stocking Island. He had been paddling all morning and was exhausted from fighting current. We brought him aboard, coffee, cockpit shower, water, and he rode with us from Lee Stocking to north of Farmers Cay. Much discussion regarding current, tides, and how to time passage across the cuts to avoid being swept out to sea. Seriously. Gotta admire him for his initiative, but being soaked in saltwater for 2 weeks? I'll have a post on my blog....

Attachments

• DSCN8466_resize.JPG
    DSCN8466_resize.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN8458_resize.jpg
    DSCN8458_resize.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN8459_resize.jpg
    DSCN8459_resize.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8464_resize.jpg
    DSCN8464_resize.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 72
What tha heck?? And he’s not even young and dumb?

Did he cross over on it or fly it over/buy it in the Bahamas?

What tha heck?? And he’s not even young and dumb?

crazy German! What a nice guy; by his own admission, didn't anticipate dealing with the wind and current, but he's pushing on! He's having quite the learning experience. I should have a post up on the blog later today.

Sort of like hitch hiking.... Yea, over time he could make but, having a ride sure does put the sunshine in his day.

A girl swam from bimini to palm beach county (I think Juno), many years ago. Who remembers?
My closest feat of bravery, no, just risky behavior, was departing Bimini with two zero compression cylinders on a old 440, and there was just one.

Last edited:
A girl swam from bimini to palm beach county (I think Juno), many years ago. Who remembers?
My closest feat of bravery, no, just risky behavior, was departing Bimini with two zero compression cylinders on a old 440, and there was just one.

Did she do this on purpose, or because her boat sunk or something? That sounds like a really crazy thing to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom