Farrell Trawler Rebuild Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PNW, I've really enjoyed following your thread. Outstanding work! A project like this helps the rest of keep things I perspective. Looking forward to seeing her in the water.

PNW, I've really enjoyed following your thread. Outstanding work! A project like this helps the rest of keep things I perspective. Looking forward to seeing her in the water.

Thanks for the positive comment, I'm hoping to get it the on water this summer, but it'll probably be just bare bones (minimal amenities) for sea trials (so much work still do!), and maybe a (rustic) trip to Hakai Pass. Maybe the following year I can do the inside passage, and maybe meet some Trawler Forum people in the San Juan/Puget Sound area. But I'm just dreaming, as the boat is not yet done.

Window fabric is cut out.
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

roof is going on

Propping up the roof so I can epoxy it into place.
IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Sanded where the walls make contact for good adhesion with the cabosil thickened epoxy, and then it gets filleted and carbon fibre tape.
IMG_0128.jpg

Roof is on!

I used straps and ratchet tie downs to curve the roof.
IMG_0147.jpg

More detail. Just test fitting here. There will be "front overhang".....
IMG_0145.jpg

Rear cabin roof has a serious arch to it, which makes it quite rigid for only being 1/2" thick (2 x 1/4" plywood + fabric).
IMG_0151.jpg

Looking from the front.
IMG_0153.jpg

Satisfaction. :D
IMG_0150.jpg

Wow! I can’t believe how fast and how much progress you’re making. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drifter,
That 's almost an instant boat. At least it looks like it here. Doing and looking way different.

Do you use fasteners to secure the roof as well as the epoxy? I'm a screw and bolt guy but many of these adhesive goos are very high performance indeed.
HaHa no one will dispute the boat's origins w the hull there for all to see.

We're getting remarkably warm down here in Puget Sound. Forecast to be 70 in a few days.
I'll believe that when I feel it.
Is the wheelhouse roof with the same degree of curvature as the other cabins?

When rebuilding the cabin on my charter boat, we put a raised lip at the end of the roof to channel water to the sides. While useful at anchor, when underway in the rain or with wave spray, it prevents large sheets of water from hitting those on the back deck. Your roof has enough camber that it will only have modest advantage at anchor, but might be significant underway. Just a thought.

Ted

Wow! I can’t believe how fast and how much progress you’re making. That’s for posting.

I'm putting seriously long hours, I don't watch TV, and I'm avoiding social contact! :ermm:

My wife is supportive. :thumb:

Drifter,
That 's almost an instant boat. At least it looks like it here. Doing and looking way different.

Do you use fasteners to secure the roof as well as the epoxy? I'm a screw and bolt guy but many of these adhesive goos are very high performance indeed.
HaHa no one will dispute the boat's origins w the hull there for all to see.

We're getting remarkably warm down here in Puget Sound. Forecast to be 70 in a few days.
I'll believe that when I feel it.
Is the wheelhouse roof with the same degree of curvature as the other cabins?

The Devlin approach...frameless construction, epoxying large sheets of plywood = (almost) instant boat. No fasteners. The roof is very secure. Yep, its going to be a different type of boat. A trailerable "sport fish" trawler, that can safely, comfortably, and somewhat economically cruise the inside passage. Warm weather coming my way too. Spring is on the way. If I keep busting my butt, maybe I can get it on the water late spring/early summer. EDIT BTW, roof curvature is different for each section.

When rebuilding the cabin on my charter boat, we put a raised lip at the end of the roof to channel water to the sides. While useful at anchor, when underway in the rain or with wave spray, it prevents large sheets of water from hitting those on the back deck. Your roof has enough camber that it will only have modest advantage at anchor, but might be significant underway. Just a thought.

Ted

Excellent thoughts Ted! I fully concur. I'm gonna put some sort of raised edge or lip around so our pacific northwest rain will mind its manners, and not drench the passengers.

Last edited:
Consider a canvas extension over the cockpit..... to about 3 or 4 inches beyond the transom.

Got none on my Willard.
But she’s got a lot of overhang. No problems that ever made me think about this.
Went to Ketchikan in the winter and got into a “can’t see noth’in” type of snowstrom. Plastic windows and no wipers. Opened the stbd PH window and used a long armed squeegi like in service stations to wipe off the snow .... about every 10 sec to keep up w the snow. Couldn’t see Ketchikan but the GPS must have been working as I knew where I was.
The CG went right by me and I thought they would stop me and ask me if I was out of my mind. They didn’t even seem to notice me.
But I’ve never had any problems w water falling off the roof.

I hope the picture is upside down. SMILE

Got none on my Willard.
But she’s got a lot of overhang. No problems that ever made me think about this.
Went to Ketchikan in the winter and got into a “can’t see noth’in” type of snowstrom. Plastic windows and no wipers. Opened the stbd PH window and used a long armed squeegi like in service stations to wipe off the snow .... about every 10 sec to keep up w the snow. Couldn’t see Ketchikan but the GPS must have been working as I knew where I was.
The CG went right by me and I thought they would stop me and ask me if I was out of my mind. They didn’t even seem to notice me.

Yea Dan if I took the pic w the i-pad up-side-down there's no way that I know of to get it right side up on a post. Had to copy and get another pic from my computer (i-mac). Then repost separately. Now I need to go and delete the copied text on the i-pad. This is a better picture anyway. While I'm at it this is another snowy day in Ketchikan.

Attachments

• DSCF2405 copy.jpg
    DSCF2405 copy.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Thorne Bay Visitors Jan 2009 003.jpg
    Thorne Bay Visitors Jan 2009 003.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Got none on my Willard.

Have you given serious thoughts to adding windshield wipers? LOL

Yea Dan if I took the pic w the i-pad up-side-down there's no way that I know of to get it right side up on a post. Had to copy and get another pic from my computer (i-mac). Then repost separately. Now I need to go and delete the copied text on the i-pad. This is a better picture anyway.

Pretty boat.
Glad the picture was upside down. I couldnt figure it out initially.
The wood grain on the side of the house is painted?

Dan,
Actually no.
The reason is if you run wipers on plastic windows the dirt on the wiper blades will ruin the visibility of the window. I had plastic windows on a boat that I build years ago and installed hand operated wipers. I used them very little w reduced spring pressure on the wiper arms and got by.
I was planing to install glass windows in the front and wipers but the manual operation would be fine. Only w a fairly strong head wind or/and quartering head seas does the windshield get wet. No need to have three wiper motors grinding away.

The “wood grain” painted?
Yes .. Brightside .. it’s FG.
A lot of people are fooled by the textured fibreglass. Look at my avatar. That’s what Willy looked like when we first bought her. Some PO had screwed teak boards about 3/8th’s of an inch thick and about 2 1/4” wide. Much more teak inside than any other Willard that I’ve seen.
But we were moving to Alaska so I pulled a few boards off to have a look-see. No bedding coumpound or anything else. They just screwed them on. Well they had to come off and soon to fit into our schedule. Was a lot of work. But despite all the sanding the wood texture cast into the FG shows through.

The “wood grain” painted?
Yes .. Brightside .. it’s FG.
A lot of people are fooled by the textured fibreglass. Look at my avatar. That’s what Willy looked like when we first bought her. Some PO had screwed teak boards about 3/8th’s of an inch thick and about 2 1/4” wide. Much more teak inside than any other Willard that I’ve seen.
But we were moving to Alaska so I pulled a few boards off to have a look-see. No bedding coumpound or anything else. They just screwed them on. Well they had to come off and soon to fit into our schedule. Was a lot of work. But despite all the sanding the wood texture cast into the FG shows through.

I guess you do not like the teak texture of the FB?

marching onwards

The back gunnel is next. After cutting 3/4" plywood for the front deck, I had these left over curved pieces (which explains the weird arcing splice), which some time ago I epoxied on the the back, on a lip of fibreglass that supported the old, rotten gunnel. I'm going to laminate 3/4" below as well, so that joints are overlapped(spliced), and I have a total gunnel thickness of 1.5". Strangely, the single curved piece going around the corner is surprisingly strong. The lower layer and the upper layer will combine to "lock" to the hull.

The clamps are holding the lower layer as I test fit pieces. I'm trying to use up various pieces of plywood remaining from previous cuts, to minimize waste. Im also testing where my clamps need to be positioned too, as once you mix the epoxy, its game on, and not time to figure out where to position clamps, as the "epoxy kick-off clock" is ticking.
IMG_0159 (1).jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

I'm really enjoying this thread. Awesome transformation. I love the height difference and look from the wheelhouse roof to the aft cabin roof. Your work is fantastic. I wish I had the energy to close in our aft deck.

back gunnel progress

IMG_0161.jpg

Putting in the pieces.....
IMG_0162 (1).jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Trim before epoxy....
IMG_0168.jpg

Clamp on
IMG_0173.jpg

Clamp off
IMG_0185.jpg

the result.
IMG_0191.jpg

I guess you do not like the teak texture of the FB?

Like you I have no FB. One of the reasons I bought this boat.
But I like the wood inlayed texture on the cabin. Kinda wish it didn't look like wood though because of the imitation context. Rather it was nondescript.

My favorite W30 is the Voyager that comes w/o a FB.

PNW Everyone's gonna want one now ya-know.

Last edited:
busy busy busy

Back gunnel glassing.....
OEZJ8166.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

This piece with all the extra tape would JUST NOT LAY DOWN FLAT.... something to do with the curve of the gunnel and the grain of the fabric.... will have cosmetic issues.....:banghead:
IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0262 (1).jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Things look to be coming along nicely! Curious if you are wetting the wood with thinned epoxy before putting the cloth on, or just wetting it through the cloth?

Ted

Curious if you are wetting the wood with thinned epoxy before putting the cloth on, or just wetting it through the cloth?

Ted

Good question. I guess from the series of pictures that I posted, I've given the impression I'm putting fabric on dry wood. Those pictures were just to lay out the pieces for size before glassing.

Most of the time I pre-wet the surface(s) with un-thinned but freshly mixed warm epoxy, which is fairly low viscosity. Large horizontal surfaces (roof sections, front deck) I didn't pre-wet the wood.

My workshop is about 15C, so I keep my epoxy in a warmer, so its less viscous and mixes better. The cooler temperature of the shop and the materials helps slow down the kick-off, to maximize working time.....

End result isn't too bad. In fact, this part looks good!
IMG_0297.jpg

This.... not so much....
IMG_0298.jpg

But hey, this is ok.....
IMG_0299.jpg

Swim step re-attached.... like we actually swim in PNW water.....:rofl:
IMG_0323.jpg

It should be called the Halibut Platform......:rolleyes:

Very nice. I like the width of the rail cap. She’s turning into a really good looking ship.

Thanks Marty!

The width will allow for easy attachment of down riggers, and pot haulers. This will very much be a fishing boat.

Here is a younger version of me, with a younger version of the boat, with a nice young halibut.
DSC_1106.jpg

I always click on this thread when I see it.
One of the best project threads I’ve seen .. ever.
Thank you Drifter ....

Thanks Eric! I really appreciate the positive comments. :flowers:

IMG_0280.jpg

Next step is to wall in the fuel tanks....

Back
Top Bottom