The scale of our boats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeaHorse II wrote:
I'm in my 6th year of owning my Halvorsen 32 and couldn't agree more with the above statements. Now, if I could only get my groove back, life would be great!
*They're having a great sale on grooves up here, Walt :)

Walt needs a change of scene to a place where he can actually go to different places and see new sights in his boat. I suggest the PNW or Downeast where boating can be more challenging, as well as "interesting" for those not used to the tides, currents and pea soupers.

In many ways we look back and feel we had some of the most boating fun when all we had was a Tasman 20 Trailer Yacht, but the kids were small, privacy was not an issue, and we were more supple...
So, no, I would not want to go back that far, but whenever I think wistfully of a larger boat, I remind myself of how much more basic maintenance, haul-out, anti-fouling, fuel, insurance, etc would cost, and that I am not wealthy enough to spend my time out exploring the world ocean cruising - the only real reason in my view for having a large vessel - and I lose the hankering quite quickly.....

Cindy still says our little 22' C-Dory was her favorite.*

download.spark
Though it had no hot water, minimal heating, no fridge, and only a porta-potty, it took us on many delightful cruises of Lake Powell, BC and SE Alaska.* Our present 26-footer has much longer range, and all the basic creature comforts.* To me, it was a very worthwhile upgrade - really did increase the enjoyment.* After nearly 40,000 nm of cruising between the two, I think of moving to a larger boat mostly when dreaming.

Marin Wrote:

They're having a great sale on grooves up here, Walt
smile.gif

dwhatty Wrote:

*Walt needs a change of scene to a place where he can actually go to different places and see new sights in his boat. I suggest the PNW or Downeast where boating can be more challenging, as well as "interesting" for those not used to the tides, currents and pea soupers.

I'd move to the state of Washington in a heart beat! My wife, however, would not. I think that the Puget Sound and north area is about the most interesting place I've ever been. I've been there numerous times over the past 15 years & never tire of it. Green, water, changing topography, wine, great food, neat people, you name it.

It also has one of the highest cost of homes in the entire country & I can see why. It's not for sissies though, as the weather can be somewhat challenging although not the frozen north. (Most days!
aww.gif
)

Maybe my daughter would let me have the apartment in her house?

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 9th of February 2012 10:38:10 AM

Attachments

• chrissy's.jpg
    chrissy's.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 82

I'd move to the state of Washington in a heart beat! My wife, however, would not. I think that the Puget Sound and north area is about the most interesting place I've ever been. I've been there numerous times over the past 15 years & never tire of it. Green, water, changing topography, wine, great food, neat people, you name it.

*----------------------------------------------

UHhhh* H E L L O ????**
frustrated.gif

Don't go telling everybody that.* We've been trying to keep that a secret !!!!

Edelweiss wrote:
UHhhh* H E L L O ????**
frustrated.gif

Don't go telling everybody that.* We've been trying to keep that a secret !!!!
******* Oh!!! ** Just kidding! :cynic:

I've always liked the scale of this pic of my son pulling tape off the bootstripe

Attachments

• jack paint.jpg
    jack paint.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 81
I know exactly what you mean, Max. This photo was sent to me by the owner of the boat when I inquired about buying it.

Now, dwhatty & JohnP refer to the 32 Island Gypsy as being a "big" 32 but don't you think this photo is just a little over the top?

Attachments

• seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 86
Greetings all,
I see the perception of scale quite well. Yes, indeed they ARE big boats but I remember buying candy bars as big as your fist for $.05 when I was kid. The first time I saw Uncle Fred's boat hauled I thought it was MASSIVE (34'). Just remember, whatever the size of the vessel, it will always seem TOO small in 15' seas...just sayin'.
Compared to the family people mover ('92 Cheby, in my case) most boats are a LOT bigger.

My 16' Whaler holds a special place in my heart.* It got us to where we wanted to be.* I sold it to my uncle for $1000 (one boat unit) so it would have a good home and a good owner.* He loves it to this day.

Attachments

• whaler.jpg
    whaler.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 68
Great to have your wisdom back on here, RTF.

My Marine Trader 43' wrapped for winter, with the seller posing in front, and then on launch day...

Attachments

• img_3697.jpg
    img_3697.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 69
  • img00242-20110609-0721.jpg
    img00242-20110609-0721.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 75
  • img00243-20110609-0721.jpg
    img00243-20110609-0721.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 60
  • img00244-20110609-0722.jpg
    img00244-20110609-0722.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 57
Hello all,
Aw gosh, I'm red with embaressment...um no, wait... maybe the depillatory Thanks for the accolaides (SP?).

Here is a good photo to indicate to an owner in Japan, the scale of many, many things after the Tsunami, including his boat. *I didn't Photoshop it. *It was in an e-mail ad from my insurance company asking if I had enough coverage.

img_75023_0_5ffe5bdebfe356f5f09e80476b6347c8.jpg

My boat was out of the water when I bought her. It is amazing how much it shrunk after putting it in the water

-- Edited by dsmylie on Saturday 11th of February 2012 04:27:12 AM

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 64
Here's a cute thing... When we were returning from Carolina Beach 2 years ago we stopped at our favorite hole - The Morehead City Yacht Basin. While there, we docked behind a South African flagged vessel named 'Grits' (we couldn't figure it out either, but look close, that's its name). Bess clicked off this picture from across the basin and we have since called this shot 'Shrimp And Grits'.Pretty clear scale comparison here. Ever since, I am far more humble about the size of our little Skinny Dippin'. :-D

shrimpngrits by GonzoF1, on Flickr

From this (15'11" cuddy):

img_75399_0_b014235a5e60c0029157ae5ebbf184e4.jpg

To this (28' houseboat):

IMAG0429.jpg

After finding the true trawler too restrictive:

img_75399_2_cf9d38e963d6f7c1525868a9c1293e81.jpg

Between the two, we covered over 50,000 miles and used over 100 different ramps in this:

img_75399_3_df0f3019b81eb2a43531779ab5bb7c20.jpg

Hooper: [motioning to Brody to get closer to the barrels] Come on Martin! Move, move, move!
Brody: I'm not going out there!
Hooper: Beyond the edge of the barrels, go to the end of the barrels! Further out!
Brody: What?
Hooper: Further out!
Brody: Why?
Hooper: Go further out!
Brody: What for?
Hooper: Will you go to the end of the pulpit, please?
Hooper: Will you just please go to the end of the pulpit!
Hooper: I need to have something in the foreground to give it some scale.
Brody: Foreground, my ass

KJ wrote:
Hooper: [motioning to Brody to get closer to the barrels] Come on Martin! Move, move, move!
Brody: I'm not going out there!
Hooper: Beyond the edge of the barrels, go to the end of the barrels! Further out!
Hooper: Further out!
Brody: Why?
Hooper: Go further out!
Hooper: Will you go to the end of the pulpit, please?
Hooper: Will you just please go to the end of the pulpit!
Hooper: I need to have something in the foreground to give it some scale.
Brody: Foreground, my ass
ahhh....quoting my favorite movie!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8*

34 to 36 foot Tri Cabins are the biggest LITTLE boats I know.* Great for weekend, week, or multi week/a-month of*cruisen and hooken!* TCs keep momma happy and therefore me too!* IMHO it is always great fun (and gunkholen ability as well as area visitation capability)*to have a*(relatively small, comfortable,*and quick)*o/b runabout tow behind.* Heres a couple picts of our current toys...

Attachments

• downsize_copy of to in delta tules 100_0429.jpg
    downsize_copy of to in delta tules 100_0429.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 71
  • downsize crestliner 100_0436.jpg
    downsize crestliner 100_0436.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 100
  • downsize crestliner 100_0441.jpg
    downsize crestliner 100_0441.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 68
Mine on the hard getting ready for a bottom job.

-- Edited by knotheadcharters on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:33:16 PM

Attachments

• imag0077.jpg
    imag0077.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 81
  • imag0083.jpg
    imag0083.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82
We started out with a 19 ft run about and thought that was a big boat and did not feel comfortable about taking it out.* Then we bought the 28 ft and I thought that was a really big boat, and did not feel comfortable about taking it out but then the 19 ft did not feel that big.* Then we bought the 58 ft boat and that was really really a big big*boat and I don't feel comfortable about taking it out, but the 28 ft was no that big of a deal.

So I guess to make the 58 ft no big deal to take out, I will have to buy a 80+ ft!*
confuse.gif
Its all relative to what you are use to.
biggrin.gif

It creeps me out to be on the boat when it is on the hard.* Here is Matt on the boat Saturday.* hoping to have her back in the water by the weekend...

Attachments

• pg ii 109.jpg
    pg ii 109.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 58
Not as big and bulky as some, but after 13+ years I would not want a boat one inch larger than this one if I was going to maintain it myself.* If we decide to get a larger boat, all maintenance-- engine, brightwork, plumbing, everything--- will be hired out.* Thirty-six feet is our absolute limit for DIY work on a boat.

Attachments

• haulout.jpg
    haulout.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82
Marin wrote:
....after 13+ years I would not want a boat one inch larger than this one if I was going to maintain it myself.*
It took us 22 years to come to that realization.

Close to 40' of masochism (but it was ofttimes fun, and definitely satisfying at the spring splash).

download.spark

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 05:59:16 PM

Hey dwhatty, what's the story on that beauty? I definitely have a soft spot for for old wood cruisers!

Marin wrote:Thirty-six feet is our absolute limit for DIY work on a boat.
* * * ** And even that length is a challenge to do it right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom