Old 04-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
RickyD
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglad View Post
Seems like you are on the right track. I have not seen a Californian with two generators so are assuming you have an additional set of switches or barrel type switch that manages that power source. Seems one of the two hot legs has come undone between the generators transfer switch and original panel generator breaker.
You are exactly right. I had my electrician aboard. He checked generator output which was good from both. Then he checked the selector switch for choosing the generator sources or shore power and there was a loose wire. The connections were a bare ended wire that a screw would clamp into place. The screws had vibrated loose and one had lost connection. A quicker fix than I feared. I also had a problem with the port engine not starting which I had isolated to what I assumed was a bad off switch in the nearly inaccessible reaches of the down helm electrical rats nest. We were able to get the switch out but it tested good. I had already removed and tested the one in the fly bridge and it was good. It turned out that when installed the fly bridge switch contacts contacted. Ok that's done. I have a boat now instead of just a bedroom.