Swim step bumper solution for dingy protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps the newer ones do, I bought mine in 2015. It came with air pump, cover, over-the-seat storage bag, and patch kit. A friend who bought a 340 about the same time was the same.

Perhaps they've changed.

Not sure if this would do the trick, but I use a large pool noodle as a bumper on our swim step. Slit down one side so that it slides over the long edge of the platform and then wrapped on with a couple of zip ties.

cheap and easy

Attachments

• large pool noodle.jpg
    large pool noodle.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 329
I have been searching for a solution to this issue for quite some time, and never really found a good result. I assume this is either because (a) it is super simple and I am overthinking things [happens a lot] or (b) because there aren't good solutions.....

I have a fiberglass swim step that is the perfect height most of the time to trap my nice Highfield dinghy tube underneath it when approaching the boat. It also tends to eat the dinghy when said dinghy is tied off to cleats on the swim step unless the lines are super tight, or I insert a full sized boat fender and release the dinghy off a bit.

I've searched for half-fenders, stern swim step fenders, and other things like that, but haven't found a solution. Some swim step fenders look promising, but require being roped in, and have large protrusions on either side, which would make exiting the dinghy difficult.

What would be ideal is a round fender that has a 1/4 of it cut out of it with screw eyes/holes along the long edge. I could attach that to the back face of the swim step, and the fender could face outwards and also reach around under the step, preventing the sharp edge of the swim step from scraping the dinghy, and probably, given a large enough size, prevent the dinghy from ever going under.

For now I use a full size boat fender, which is much too large, and tie it off the flag staff on the stern rail, and let it float between the dinghy and step. This has a disadvantage as there is a line crossing the step that you have to navigate around, and it generally just gets in the way.

Has anyone found a more elegant way?

Cut a pool noodle of the appropriate length and color lengthwise and attach over the bottom edge of your swimstep?

Use swim platform boarding steps

There are numerous above and below swim platform SS boarding ladders that extend up to 48” below the water
Just mount as many of these as you need and tie a fender to them of you want extra protection.

To much thread migration to follow this thread properly
Please try to stay on topic
Cheers Warren

Steve,

I'm sure our 44 uses the same swim platform as your boat....and we obviously have the same problem. I sometimes attach the dink to the deployed arms of the Nick Jackson davit when not in use, but that doesn't help the boarding/debarking problem where the dink slides under the edge of the step. I've wondered about some sort of simple, collapsible frame work that attaches to the swim step support brackets or even the edge of the fiberglass step itself. I haven't checked, but the studs on the bottom of the step might be long enough to sandwich some thin stainless brackets. A long floating fender would attach to the frame work. I have long arms so attaching such a contraption under the step would be acceptable. It would have to be removed when cruising, of course. I think the fender has to be fastened on the mother ship versus the dink. The flip up ladder might work, but the davit on our boat blocks access.

IMG_4239 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this would do the trick, but I use a large pool noodle as a bumper on our swim step. Slit down one side so that it slides over the long edge of the platform and then wrapped on with a couple of zip ties.

cheap and easy

Cut a pool noodle of the appropriate length and color lengthwise and attach over the bottom edge of your swimstep?

I actually had considered a pool noodle a few months ago, but didn't think it would be big enough to go over the back of the swim step. I'll have to see if there are larger ones diameter wise as I'd need it to stick down a bit.

Steve,

I'm sure our 44 uses the same swim platform as your boat....and we obviously have the same problem. I sometimes attach the dink to the deployed arms of the Nick Jackson davit when not in use, but that doesn't help the boarding/debarking problem where the dink slides under the edge of the step. I've wondered about some sort of simple, collapsible frame work that attaches to the swim step support brackets or even the edge of the fiberglass step itself. I haven't checked, but the studs on the bottom of the step might be long enough to sandwich some thin stainless brackets. A long floating fender would attach to the frame work. I have long arms so attaching such a contraption under the step would be acceptable. It would have to be removed when cruising, of course. I think the fender has to be fastened on the mother ship versus the dink. The flip up ladder might work, but the davit on our boat blocks access.

View attachment 87502

Yup, we have the exact same swim step. Nice and far up from the water, just the right height for the dinghy tube to get under it and get stuck, scratched, and messed up!

I have a Seawise davit, and I can leave the big arms attached to keep the dinghy off the step, but that is super inconvenient as those suckers stick out quite a bit, and you don't want to be cruising around with them attached to the dinghy.

I could use the swim ladder somewhat but it is only at one side of the swim step, and we typically get out in the middle. Moving to that end might work somewhat, but I'd prefer to have something in the middle.

My leading solutions right now are some of the funky 90 degree fenders, as well as a bigger pool noodle.

I had a similar problem to the OP's: the lip of the swim platform would catch the rubbing strake of the RIB. This would happen during boarding/un-boarding or simply when the dink was tied up at anchorage. Every couple of seasons I would need to re-glue the strake in place, not an easy chore.

So I designed and had a metal fabricator build a handrail for the swim platform with the vertical tubes on the outside of the platform, thus protecting the dink from the edge of the platform.

To be honest, I have not properly tested it since last summer, when I cruised to Sardinia and Corsica, I dragged my Boston Whaler 13' instead of the RIB but it seemed to work well. Having a rail also adds some safety and confort.

As you can see in the photograph, the rail is a bent piece of SS tubing attached to the swim platform supports with machined nylon blocks and bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 51
I had a similar problem to the OP's: the lip of the swim platform would catch the rubbing strake of the RIB. This would happen during boarding/un-boarding or simply when the dink was tied up at anchorage. Every couple of seasons I would need to re-glue the strake in place, not an easy chore.

So I designed and had a metal fabricator build a handrail for the swim platform with the vertical tubes on the outside of the platform, thus protecting the dink from the edge of the platform.

To be honest, I have not properly tested it since last summer, when I cruised to Sardinia and Corsica, I dragged my Boston Whaler 13' instead of the RIB but it seemed to work well. Having a rail also adds some safety and confort.

As you can see in the photograph, the rail is a bent piece of SS tubing attached to the swim platform supports with machined nylon blocks and bolts.

That's a nice add-on. I have some connecting arches that hold the swim step that could work with that, although a full rail might interfere with other things....

I finally found a good solution to my fender + dinghy challenge. One day while surfing Fisheries Supply for random things, as you do, I stumbled across an L-shaped fender from Harken. It was pretty pricey, but it looked well made, and after looking at dimensions, and cutting out some cardboard to see how it would look in real life, I ordered it.

ezgif-4-4e64c5c37a7e.jpg

I've only used it for one weekend, but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. A minimal amount of space between the dinghy and the swim step so you can still step into the dinghy, and a decent amount of protection so the dinghy can't slide underneath.

IMG_2750.jpg

Attaching it to the swim step is still something I am playing with, but surprisingly, four bungees and about a minute seem to be the easiest right now.

IMG_2739.jpg

The fender has drain holes in the bottom, so when it gets wet, it should dry out quickly. The loops give a lot of options for attachment points, but I might put snaps or even something different down so I don't have to use all of them. The only concern is the back side of the fender is some fuzzy material, which will likely get dirty, but I will never see that side, so....

My solution:

Attachments

• ABD6C8D7-7799-49E5-93F4-5794CF49B5C7.jpg
    ABD6C8D7-7799-49E5-93F4-5794CF49B5C7.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom