Dinghy Capacity Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
If there is a capacity plate that says 5 people / 1100 lbs or 1350lbs with engine, what’s the rule on having more people with less weight, for instance 4 adults and 3 small kids totaling 800 lbs?

Thanks!

It means 5 people or a total of 1100 pounds. It is based in part of the room in the boat for people to move around or sit. If you go 6 people even if they don’t weigh over 1100 pounds, you are overloaded.

Are you sure (my boat has seats for 6)

Just talked to the coast guard at the dock and they said they don’t care really about the plate, it’s all about their estimation of how safe the vessel is. Long story short, 7ppl with kids would be no issue, 7 football players might get you a talking to.

This is from the Boat/US web site. The CG boarding officers may or may not know the state boating laws.

Capacity plates should never be removed, altered, or tampered with. While it is not a Federal violation for a boat owner to exceed the listed capacities, many states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit. Also, you may void your insurance policy if you are found to have exceeded the limits stated on your capacity plate.

I would not want my insurance voided in case of an accident.

Keep in mind that the CG generally only cares about federal law enforcement. I would check with the state and see what they say, and also your insurance company.

P-S-S-S-S-S-T, if you know what search term to use on ebay you can buy replacement plates that say just about anything you want.

Just sayin'

Just talked to the coast guard at the dock and they said they don’t care really about the plate, it’s all about their estimation of how safe the vessel is. Long story short, 7ppl with kids would be no issue, 7 football players might get you a talking to.

That is fine for the CG but around here the LEO's will ticket you for not being compliant with your plate.
You might also want to ask your insurance company which they will utilize if a claim were to be made - and preferably get that answer in written form.

Best example I have seen of a capacity plate violation:
4 adults (?behaving as juveniles) in a Sportyak (anyone remember those?) rowing home from the pub in Fisherman Bay on a flat calm evening. The oarlocks were the only part of the Sportyak above the water. At anchor, all who observed this feat of seamanship were treated to a few renditions of appropriate sea shanty verses.

Back
Top Bottom