LED stern light bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I’m trying to find an LED replacement for the bulb in my stern light housing.

The current (inop) bulb is a 12v 25w bulb that looks like this.

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

Have any here found a good LED replacement bulb that’s bright enough for CG regs?

Last edited:
Has the CG officially approved LED bulbs? I recall some sort of discussion about LEDs and anchor lights where some posters stated that none were approved, but I’m not sure what the final consensus was.

We changed our anchor light to led but left the running lights alone, the engine is always operating and generating power when the running lights are on so no need to conserve power for them. Interior lights are all led.

For heaven’s sake, stick an led bulb in there. If the Coast Guard starts taking apart deck lights to look for light bulb certification (done when there was only one technology to choose from) despite the fact that I’d guess only 5% of our group (recreational boaters) runs at night, I’d say that they have completely lost the plot.

We bought our replacement bulbs from West Marine. They were marked as direct replacement for the incandescent.
Oops ... after doing that, I decided that the lenses were too weathered, and should be replaced. Nope. Lenses for our AquaSignal 40 lights were more expensive than complete lights from go2marine.com. The new lights came with bulbs, but we put the LED ones in the new housings anyway.
JohnS

For recreational craft they don't have to be USCG anything, they just have to meet the COLREGs requirements.

The LED replacement I got for my masthead and anchor lights were not from anyplace special and they are WAY brighter than the 25W incandescents.

The anchor light is over 3 seasons old with a couple hundred of nights anchored.

Last edited:
We changed our anchor light to led but left the running lights alone, the engine is always operating and generating power when the running lights are on so no need to conserve power for them. Interior lights are all led.

^ this.

I still need to swap out my incandescent deck (spreader) lights to LED. All interior lighting is LED. All my navigation lights are incandescent and charged when running...off when at anchor.

Last edited:
Sigh, here we go again...

It's unlikely an LED in place of an incandescent will meet the requirements.

For one thing, the lens, and any reflector inside, are designed around the exact location of the filament. An LED doesn't have a filament, and the light will be coming from different locations and at different angles.

For another, the light wavelength won't be the same, so the red and green lenses on side lights may produce an odd (and out-of-spec) color.

The point is not that the CG is going to board you and take your fixtures apart. The point is that (1) you won't be legal, maybe even not safe, and (2) if there is an accident, and you are found to have non-conforming lighting, you will be found at least partially responsible. I've heard of a number of cases like this; two where some drunk in a go-fast ran over someone at night, and the drunk's lawyer challenged whether the boat they hit was properly lit. Apparently it's a common tactic.

Finally, in the overall cost of owning a boat, the price of a good, purpose-built, sealed LED fixture is small potatoes. In my experience, it's often the fixture and not bulb which fails in the salt air anyway. Just buy the right LED fixture and be done with it.

Marinebeam.com usually has a decent LED replacement for any incandescent bulb.

Our anchor light LED is WAY WAY WAY brighter than the incandescent it replaced. That was a whole'fixture" replacement, though, not just the "bulb."

-Chris

Agree on Marinebeam. Give them a call or an email and they will hook you up with the right thing. They understand all the issues with boat lighting, and excellent quality to match great service.

Sigh, here we go again...

It's unlikely an LED in place of an incandescent will meet the requirements.

For one thing, the lens, and any reflector inside, are designed around the exact location of the filament. An LED doesn't have a filament, and the light will be coming from different locations and at different angles.

For another, the light wavelength won't be the same, so the red and green lenses on side lights may produce an odd (and out-of-spec) color.

The point is not that the CG is going to board you and take your fixtures apart. The point is that (1) you won't be legal, maybe even not safe, and (2) if there is an accident, and you are found to have non-conforming lighting, you will be found at least partially responsible. I've heard of a number of cases like this; two where some drunk in a go-fast ran over someone at night, and the drunk's lawyer challenged whether the boat they hit was properly lit. Apparently it's a common tactic.

Finally, in the overall cost of owning a boat, the price of a good, purpose-built, sealed LED fixture is small potatoes. In my experience, it's often the fixture and not bulb which fails in the salt air anyway. Just buy the right LED fixture and be done with it.

This echoes my experience with replacing incandescent with LED on my motor scooter: the beam pattern is terrible if you try to reuse the reflector. For turn signals and anchor lights it probably makes no difference, but unless the light is 360* switching to LEDs may not really do more than lower your energy consumption.

Thanks all. I found one that works.

After much trial and failure I found some excellent bay15d bulbs, which that appears to be, on eBay.
They exceed* the 2 mile rule for colregs and have had them in for 2 years.
Cheap enough that I bought a lifetime supply
Will see if I can find the link

* I have gone 3 miles away in the dinghy and could clearly we our light but could not see most of the other boats.

Last edited:
After much trial and failure I found some excellent bay15d bulbs, which that appears to be, on eBay.
They exceed* the 2 mile rule for colregs and have had them in for 2 years.
Cheap enough that I bought a lifetime supply
Will see if I can find the link

* I have gone 3 miles away in the dinghy and could clearly we our light but could not see most of the other boats.

Yeah let me know. I’d like to have some cheap backup and replacement bulbs.

"Yeah let me know. I’d like to have some cheap backup and replacement bulbs."

Why , with undocumented bulbs any liar for hire will be sitting in your house after a night accident.

A $10.00 bulb is cheap insurance if you go out in dark air.

An old set of oil lamps might work as legal backup , and save the cost of a bulb?

Last edited:
Why , with undocumented bulbs any liar for hire will be sitting in your house after a night accident.

A $10.00 bulb is cheap insurance if you go out in dark air.

I don't even know what that means but here's a roll of foil, make yourself a hat.

images

Back
Top Bottom