View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
oak_box
Veteran Member

City: Austin, TX
teak deck replacement (Albin 43)

I'm looking at making an offer on an Albin 43. It has teak decks that have been painted white. The good news is that I can probably slap another coat of Awlgrip or even Rustoleum on the decks for another year or two. But eventually - I'm thinking the REAL correct answer is to replace them...

Questions:

1) For now, how long will painting the decks hold me? Am I ok as long as I keep them painted?
2) When the time comes to replace them - yes, they have screws... How hard is it really to get the screws out? Are they generally pretty loose, or will a BUNCH of them probably be a major chore with a pair of vice grips, as the head will certainly be worthless?
3) Can I get a dremel and just grind the screws off instead of trying to pull them out?
4) Then what? Can I seal the screw holes (thickened epoxy?), then apply a coat or two of epoxy, and then put down some sort of faux teak decking?
5) Is there anything that has to go down under the faux teak decking?
6) Is there a preferred option for "maint. free" decking? Or is this like asking old guys what their favorite motor oil is?

Thanks!!
oak_box is offline   Reply With Quote