Passage Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urpo lindeman

Greetings from Newfoundland,

Folks new to trawlers (apart from starting my marine career on a dragger) as always had sail boats until now.

Bought an old 40' Passage maker because I thought she looked good in difference to some other non sailing boats which have the appearance of a shed on the water.

Nevertheless as I have a fair bit of work ahead of me to get the old girl the ways I like it. Therefore would very much appreciate if someone out there could share some pics from the the engine bay for me to see how it's supposed to look like, main thing is the fuel tanks as making a new set of tanks this winter.

Thanks in advance.,

Urpo

Welcome aboard. Is it a Defever Passagemaker?

Welcome aboard, and keep us update with your ongoing renovation work, that is always a topic of high interest.

L

A friend of mine used to own a Defever 40’ Passage Maker. It was a nice boat, built in Costa Mesa CA I think.

Greetings,
Mr. U. You might look for other Defevers for sale on the internet. Depending on the listing, there may be pictures of what you're looking for.

Could you be a little more specific as to what length and model you have.

greetings from newfoundland,

folks new to trawlers (apart from starting my marine career on a dragger) as always had sail boats until now.

Bought an old 40' passage maker because i thought she looked good in difference to some other non sailing boats which have the appearance of a shed on the water.

Nevertheless as i have a fair bit of work ahead of me to get the old girl the ways i like it. Therefore would very much appreciate if someone out there could share some pics from the the engine bay for me to see how it's supposed to look like, main thing is the fuel tanks as making a new set of tanks this winter.

Thanks in advance.,

urpo

IMG_0187.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0247.jpgIMG_0714.jpgIMG_1255.jpgIMG_0845.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0308.jpg

I am a owner of a 1979 40ft DeFever passage maker and I am refitting her this past year mine has twin 130 Perkins I am installing a newly rebuilt one in very soon if you want any info you can hit me up

Good choice on a well made trawler. I also have a 40' DeFever, but mine was built by Down East in Santa Ana, Ca. after Jensen Marine, who made the Passagemakers for DeFever, went out of business. You can go to the DeFever Cruisers Forum to see the history.

Here is a link to The Blue Turtle Blogs showing the many repairs and upgrades they did to their Passagemaker. Very well done with lots of pictures.

https://www.blueturtletrawler.com/category/boat-projects/

I am also looking at a 40’ DeFever Downeast that is located in Kemah, Texas. It was repowered in 2005 with a single Yanmar 6LY2A that puts out 440 HP. Very strange choice IMO.

Caggie: I was on that boat 4 or 5 years ago. My boat is in the SF Bay area. I was on vacation in Texas and stop by to visit the owner, Robert. Real nice guy with a nice boat. It's the only other DE40 I have been on. The previous owner of that boat had the re-engine done along with a complete makeover of the engine room. They did a good job! The 6LY2A is overkill for that full displacement hull. I re-engine mine with an old, but never used marine Cummins 6B5.9, 115hp. That hull only needs 48hp to achieve hull speed. Robert said he just cruised at 7-7.5 knots, so the turbo doesn't get much exercise. I am pretty sure mine was the first boat and it was the boat they used for the brochure pictures. I believe Robert's was the number 2 boat and it had some manufactured improvement. Robert is a broker and may be the person marketing it. If you see him, tell him Bob from California says Hi.

Yes, it is Robert and he mentioned you in our conversation. I may take a look at the boat this weekend, but the thought of that big turbocharged Yanmar operating at the bottom end of the engine performance curve is a huge concern. I will tell him you said hi.

We have a 41, Instagram mv_classea@instagram have several pictures of things we did to get her ready.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom