Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunho

Hello,

Inflatable, RIB, hardshell? We're about to buy our first trawler and the current owners have offered to sell us the dinghy too, a Nautica 11'. I was thinking it'd be nice to have a 11' hard shell with a bimini, but I don't see many boats with hard shell dinghys at all. What do you think?

We're in the Pacific Northwest, and I've never seen the need for the tender to have a Bimini. We like to do "extreme beachcombing", accessing beaches no one can walk to, and circumnavigating some of the small islands we visit, out exploring for hours. Sun hats or rain hats, depending. :socool:

Our first dinghy was a used older 10' Zodiac with an inflatable keel and wood floor. I loved the stability, capacity, and light weight, but the PVC material was at end of life and I was chasing the water leaking in and the air leaking out for the last year or two we had it. One of the last trips we took with it, I remember we were bailing with a little plastic pail and at the same time pumping up a leaking tube.:banghead: We kept it on the swim step on weaver davits, and pulled it up onto the swim step with a line. We powered it with a 1967 6 HP Johnson. Using the weaver davits required us to remove and replace the outboard each time. Pros - light weight. Cons - bad material with short life, no rigid hull in the Pacific Northwest get razor cuts in fabric from sharp rocks and barnacles.

boat trip march 08 and other 066.jpg

Our second was a Livingston hard shell that we really liked. It was good and stable, and no chance of leak. A little heavy, we tipped it up onto the swim step on weaver davits, pulling it up by hand via a line. We used the same outboard and removed and replaced it each time we deployed the dink.
Pros - hard shell = no leaks, Livingston = stable; Cons - heavy, slow - mechanical assisted davits would have helped.

P1180763.jpg

Our current dink came with our trawler - its a 10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. :D We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy. The Seawise system brings the outboard up off the swim step, and we can then do a fresh water flush on it when we are done with it each trip. Pros - Hypalon is great material, rigid hull more durable on beaches with sharp stuff, rigid hull fast; Cons - very heavy - mechanical or power assisted davit required.

20180903_143241.jpg

Note - the Avon is very dirty in this pic, it was the second day we owned it. We've since cleaned it up. The smudging on the port side of the tubes is exhaust residue. We are exploring adding a crane davit and storing on the aft cabin top.

Hope this helps,

David

Hello,

Inflatable, RIB, hardshell? We're about to buy our first trawler and the current owners have offered to sell us the dinghy too, a Nautica 11'. I was thinking it'd be nice to have a 11' hard shell with a bimini, but I don't see many boats with hard shell dinghys at all. What do you think?

Think "system."

Certainly the boat design (inflatable, RIB, hard, Porta-, kayak/canoe, etc.) will present various pros/cons... like stability, speed, capacity...

But then there's how you will use it -- long trips, high speed? harbor puttering? -- that will impact choice and also will guide choice of motor.

Plus how to tow, or lift. How to store on board. How to deploy.

Outboard installed/removed for each use? Or permanently mounted? What about winter storage (if that affects you)? Electric start? Or can every operator still pull the cord?

And so forth.

-Chris

AB "Lammina" 10AL. 10'6" aluminum hull - 117 lbs.
Add AB optional steering console - 33 lbs.
Add AB optional bench seat w/ storage - 39 lbs
Yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke - 111 lbs.
Total weight: 300 lbs

This is essentially a lighter version of the AB "Alumina" 10ALX model. No step pads, folding cleats, running lights, etc.

I have the above described AB Lammina except I wanted a fuel injected engine. So Yamaha 25hp. Yamaha now makes a fuel injected 20hp engine. It is same engine(and weighs the same) as the 25hp, just detuned.

Ribs are lighter.

I'm switching this spring to a 13' aluminum run about with my 15 HP Suzuki outboard. All welded hull (no rivets or bows). It's lighter than all the other options and extremely durable. Probably won't win me any awards for style, but where I will go with it, most people grade on function.

Ted

Dinghy - NO bimini - safety reasons

Dinghy --- NO Bimini :eek: - safety reasons. :banghead:.

If your outboard dies & you have to row - when it is blowing you out to sea -- you definitely do not want the extra wind age of a Bimini. :facepalm:

Lots of options & don't rush in to a decision as there is a lot to think about - how you will store it ? - room considerations ?- how much it will stick out at the back of the boat & may require a bigger more expensive slip ?

How many people do you need the dinghy to carry ?

Do you want it to be able to get up on plane & go fast ? -- RIB's are good for that. -- BTW - you can re-tube a RIB as an option to buy a used one & update it for less cost. As RIB can be pricy.

Foredeck storage, How you want to launch it ? will it fill with water when it rains ? Will it be just you & your better half, or do you have a crew or are you single handing.

What size & type of boat do you have ? How heavy in lbs. are you looking for the weight of the Dinghy to be ? Can You wife launch it if you hurt ?

If you have a swim step you can use Weaver Snap Davits for storage like fractalphreak above does.
Are you planning on having rear full davits to hold it at the back of you boat off the stern ? Or maybe your planning on put it upon your boat deck if you have one & of course you will need a boom or a crane to launch it & recover it with. & needs to be secured or wind will blow it away.

I have had several inflatables & they are popular, but we are tired of sun killing the fabric & replacing them, patching leaks & pumping them up with air & are going with a hard dinghy now.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike

Last edited:
Dinghy --- NO Bimini :eek: - safety reasons. :banghead:.

If your outboard dies & you have to row - when it is blowing you out to sea -- you definitely do not want the extra wind age of a Bimini. :facepalm:

Undoes clips, folds Bimini down
Sorted.

Still to much?
Undoes wingnut fasteners and drop it to the floor or throw it over the side.

10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy.

How do you store your fuel tank mounted in the dinghy?

10.5 ft Avon 310 Hypalon RIB. I absolutely love it. Its fast if we need it, good stability and capacity, and Hypalon has good longevity and repairability. We have a 15 HP Yahama 2 cycle on it. Both the dinghy and outboard are too heavy to pull up by hand; the boat came with a hand cranked davit system from Seawise, which I love. It's quick, very easy, and we are able to leave the outboard and fuel tank mounted in the dinghy.

How do you store your fuel tank mounted in the dinghy?

It stays on/in the dinghy. The 310 has a seat mounted for rowing, it fits under there. The PO (or somebody) mounted little plastic loops for a fabric hold down strap right on the floor. I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend when I'm back out at the boat. The strap missing in the photo I posted above.

I'm looking at a similar arrangement to transom mount a jerry can for extra fuel. I don't want it anyplace it can spill and drain down into my bilge!

Thanks, I'll look forward to your photo. My boats in refit and at the very near end of it, davits like yours go in and I add a new 9 1/2 foot hard bottomed RIB with Yamaha 9.9. I was wondering what to do with the fuel container while under way.

I'm switching this spring to a 13' aluminum run about with my 15 HP Suzuki outboard. All welded hull (no rivets or bows). It's lighter than all the other options and extremely durable. Probably won't win me any awards for style, but where I will go with it, most people grade on function.

Ted

Hey Ted, what brand are you looking at? I'm considering this option as well, as I like the toughness and added fishability.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about two things relative to a RIB, carrying capacity and stability. With stability, we do a lot of freediving from our dink, I'm worried that it would be tough to climb into the boat over the gunnel from deep water without swamping.

Please let me know what you get.

Thanks,

Hey Ted, what brand are you looking at? I'm considering this option as well, as I like the toughness and added fishability.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about two things relative to a RIB, carrying capacity and stability. With stability, we do a lot of freediving from our dink, I'm worried that it would be tough to climb into the boat over the gunnel from deep water without swamping.

Please let me know what you get.

Thanks,

DuraNautic Utility V

Reentering the boat would best be accomplished by modifying a ladder to hang on the stern or bow. Bow is a little trickier to mount but no motor to work around. In my younger and more agile days, I would push the tiller handle away from me and use the cavitation plate above the propeller as a step.

Ted

DuraNautic Utility V

Reentering the boat would best be accomplished by modifying a ladder to hang on the stern or bow. Bow is a little trickier to mount but no motor to work around. In my younger and more agile days, I would push the tiller handle away from me and use the cavitation plate above the propeller as a step.

Ted

Thanks Ted. A buddy of mine has a DuraNautic, it's a sweet little boat, I think his is a 14.

Using the cav plate as a step is how we get into the flats boat from the water, it works pretty well, but is impossible with a fin on. Same is true for most small ladders. It's easier to take your fins on and off in the boat than in the water. With our RIB the tubes are low enough that with big freedive fins you can just power up over the tube back into the boat. I think that would likely be possible with the DuraNautic as well, but I wonder if it would tip it too much sorta like what happens with a canoe.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a Nautica RIB with a Bimini. I LOVE IT. I’m in that thing all the time. Only problem is the dinghy lift that came with our boat can’t lift it so we have to upgrade. That’s on the project list for next year. Opted for new canvas, window shades, and a major detail job this year.

Attachments

• 3F898846-0ED0-486D-8838-E1E3C00DFFEE.jpg
    3F898846-0ED0-486D-8838-E1E3C00DFFEE.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 114

Ted

I could not agree more. A tin boat is the only way to go. Not sexy, but as far as utility, it can not be beat. I will never own another RIB. I do not know about the DuraNautic, but a welded Gregor has served us well.

Last edited:
If you're going to get a real boat you may as well get a real dinghy and in my eyes a blow up or fold up boat ain't it.

Tin for the win. ;-)

A good thing about a moderate size inflatable and motor is 2 people can easily carry it up the beach away from tide etc. Difficult as they get bigger, have pedestal controls,are made of Al.,bigger motor, etc. It`s about convenience. We can even manhandle ours without motor to the FB if we want. But at some point something bigger/heavier may be needed and change all that.

DuraNautic Utility V

Ted
That’s a nice boat Ted. I like the position of the aft seat. Mine is too close to the transom. My outboard throttle is jammed in my back making it hard to guide.

I have two dinghys. My wife prefers the West Marine hypalon compact rib 310 because it is very stable. I prefer the custom built 10' fiberglass rowing dinghy because I enjoy rowing. Wife doesn't like it because it is much less stable than the rib. One thing she does like about the hard dinghy is that the ride is drier. Both dinghys weigh about 115 lbs.

ZERO problem with a bimini on a dink.

Unclip two straps... 6 seconds.

OR

Unclip two straps... 6 seconds, pull two pins on aft supports... 6 more seconds, folds down and lays along transom.

Think "system." ....... But then there's how you will use it -- long trips, high speed? harbor puttering? -- that will impact choice and also will guide choice of motor.

Plus how to tow, or lift. How to store on board. How to deploy.

Outboard installed/removed for each use? Or permanently mounted? What about winter storage (if that affects you)? Electric start? Or can every operator still pull the cord?
All the above points were on my mind when I decided to buy a RIB. My major use was to rig it for bass fishing in San Diego Harbor. My boat washing & diving people clean it every time they service the big boat. If I wish to carry it on the big boat my only choice is to hoist it onto the bow. (A real PITA!) I can't load it or launch it when the big boat is in the slip, thus the reason for parking it behind the mother ship. Also, when taking Sandpiper out for a bay cruise, the dinghy must be moved for leaving & entering the slip. Keep in mind that I said the major use is for bass fishing, which it fits that need perfectly. Conclusion...a dinghy will not satisfy every mission.

Attachments

• dinghy on back of boat.jpg
    dinghy on back of boat.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 89
  • OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 92
I use an 11' and a 14' RIB (both Rendovas) which I am very happy with. I had the underbow area on each reinforced with an additional layer of sacrificial neoprene material as I run up to a rocky shore in the PNW in order to let the dogs ashore. This protects the tube. A friend just traded their hard dinghy for a RIB because they got tired of it banging and denting the mothership while anchored, moored and when they get 'waked' by idiots etc.

Polycraft

I,m looking to change my tinny for 2 reasons
1. very noisy at night time
2. It is a bit tender and my boat is on a mooring so all boarding and disembarking is done by dinghy and my crew/visitors and myself aren't getting any younger so stability is a consideration.
Polycraft here in Australia make a great little boat and you can see it by googling 'polycraft tuff tender' , its a tri hull tender , very stable, wont damage your gelcoat and is relatively free from the slap slap that you get all night from a tinny, has air compartments that make it unsinkable and is tough and wont give you the problems associated with inflatables.
Hope I don't sound like I'm trying to sell these things but I have looked at this as a way of compromising all my needs and it has come up trumps

Thanks, I'll look forward to your photo. My boats in refit and at the very near end of it, davits like yours go in and I add a new 9 1/2 foot hard bottomed RIB with Yamaha 9.9. I was wondering what to do with the fuel container while under way.

rsn48, sorry this took so long, I forgot to grab photos last weekend:blush:. Here are some shots of the mounting arrangement. Avon originally provided "fuel tank retainers and strap" and you can see in the deck molding they planned for it. I replaced the original plastic loops with SS ones and put a new webbing strap on, but they are the same dimension and in the same place. I pull the fuel tank out to refill, but in the meantime it stays put. The extra webbing at the end of the strap is held in place by a velcro strap. To keep the tank from moving for and aft more I run the strap around through the handle. I think its a decent arrangement. This dinghy is a 2001, and had likely had a fuel tank like this most of its life. (I think prior to my PO purchasing it used in 2008 or so it was kept horizontal on chocks, it has 3 point lift eyes added.)

20190427_170117.jpg

20190427_170130.jpg

20190427_170132.jpg

20190427_170159.jpg

20190427_170459.jpg

I have a Nautica RIB with a Bimini. I LOVE IT. I’m in that thing all the time. Only problem is the dinghy lift that came with our boat can’t lift it so we have to upgrade. That’s on the project list for next year. Opted for new canvas, window shades, and a major detail job this year.

Look at that! A rib with a Bimini! (I never see that up here, we opt to get any sun that happens to occur shining down on our white pasty bodies!)

:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom