Marina Frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
For two months I have been in contact with the Legacy Marina in Fort Myers to bring our new (to us) boat to the marina to live-aboard.

I even went in twice this week and spoke with them. All along they said no problem and even assigned me a dock.

Today I get an email that says the are not doing live a boards at this time. The boat is splashed on Friday.

Luckily I found a friendlier marina.

That's surprising. Legacy usually has a large snowbird population in the winter. Some marinas differentiate between "live aboard (full time year round)" verses "Snowbird (seasonal transient)".

Ted

Never say live aboard unless you are staying there as your home for a year.

You are a transient, with a lay over in: days, weeks, months.....

Costs a little more sometimes, but the headaches go away.

Could be the City of Fort Myers has changed their stance on “liveaboards”. I looked all over the area for a slip a past winter and discovered that the Cape Coral side of the river had very strict live aboard rules. We could not stay on board for more than a week I think. If I remember correctly Cape Coral City Marina could take a limited amount of liveaboards.

I've had my boat at Legacy for 3 years. I've been living on her for the past two months. Some folks are here for lots longer. They used to do an annual lease, but I think they stopped that. But they still do it on a monthly basis. Not sure what happened in your case, but folks here think the staff is pretty darn good and accommodating.

Thanks all. We are live aboard year round. We have a slip at another marina in Fort Myers. Basically we just need a base camp to venture from.

Could be the City of Fort Myers has changed their stance on “liveaboards”. I looked all over the area for a slip a past winter and discovered that the Cape Coral side of the river had very strict live aboard rules. We could not stay on board for more than a week I think. If I remember correctly Cape Coral City Marina could take a limited amount of liveaboards.

I do not live on my boat. I 'stays' on my boat. These slips are considered condo slips. Initially, the rules said, the owners or renters could not stay longer than a week on their boat. I followed the rules exactly. You see, the rules did not say how long the owner has to be off the boat for the 'clock to reset', so at least once a week I would get off the boat and go grocery shopping. Then there is the other times I leave the boat for a couple of hours. I follow the letter of the law. Plus I currently own 2 slips in the marina. I guess I could just move the boat between slips once a week. SMILE

In FL if a marina even tries to approach a live aboard status, they have to provide a way of removing waste from the boat.

I am flexible... I can take the boat out 2 miles, turn on sanitary discharge pump for about a minute and I am empty. Gives the boat and the engines and systems a bit of exercise too.

Dont let the system get you down.

I have stayed at some places long-term where live-aboards are prohibited either by marina or town ordinance. I never said that I was going to live-aboard. Stay-aboard might be a better term. I dont think that I have been at a marina that has ever watched anyone closely. Of course if you piss someone off it might not end well. I just think its funny that some marinas have no problems accepting long-term transients but won't take a "live-aboard". I think marinas are more so scared of a derelict boat ending up on their property. I have seen some marinas get smart and require that boats must be in running condition subject to annual inspection/verification and must meet minimum visual upkeep. I think that is smart. I wouldnt want to be in a marina with boats that havent moved in years and are leaking electricity into my boat because they have hazardous electrical.

I have stayed at some places long-term where live-aboards are prohibited either by marina or town ordinance. I never said that I was going to live-aboard. Stay-aboard might be a better term. I dont think that I have been at a marina that has ever watched anyone closely. Of course if you piss someone off it might not end well. I just think its funny that some marinas have no problems accepting long-term transients but won't take a "live-aboard". I think marinas are more so scared of a derelict boat ending up on their property. I have seen some marinas get smart and require that boats must be in running condition subject to annual inspection/verification and must meet minimum visual upkeep. I think that is smart. I wouldnt want to be in a marina with boats that havent moved in years and are leaking electricity into my boat because they have hazardous electrical.

I suspect your non-live-aboard marina maintains records of when they pump your sanitary tank. They can show that to anyone in authority.

You are correct, every marina is worried about derelict boats.

Miami had a long term anchorage.... Some boats had been there so long, there were big holes in the side of the boats. I suspect some have sunk at the mooring buoys. Others were in process of sinking
Other boats, anchor and owner either dies or disappear.
Miami is finally taking action..... If they cant locate the owner and the boat is in disrepair, now they go to the court to get the necessary permission to remove the boat and put it in a pile with the other derelicts

I suspect your non-live-aboard marina maintains records of when they pump your sanitary tank. They can show that to anyone in authority.

You are correct, every marina is worried about derelict boats.

Miami had a long term anchorage.... Some boats had been there so long, there were big holes in the side of the boats. I suspect some have sunk at the mooring buoys. Others were in process of sinking
Other boats, anchor and owner either dies or disappear.
Miami is finally taking action..... If they cant locate the owner and the boat is in disrepair, now they go to the court to get the necessary permission to remove the boat and put it in a pile with the other derelicts

I don't think that most marinas keep records of pump outs, especially the free or self-service ones. Also many marinas do not have their own pump out. Some times you call a boat to come pump you out or you have to go to another marina.

Thanks all. We are live aboard year round. We have a slip at another marina in Fort Myers. Basically we just need a base camp to venture from.

No, No, No .... you are not a liveaboard. You are a transient cruiser. This distinction can make a huge difference in many Florida Marinas.

I don't think that most marinas keep records of pump outs, especially the free or self-service ones. Also many marinas do not have their own pump out. Some times you call a boat to come pump you out or you have to go to another marina.

I would encourage you to maintain a pump out log, if the marina does not, in case there is a dispute with the environment folks.

Last edited:
I would encourage you to maintain a pump out log, if the marina does not, in case there is a dispute with the environment folks.

Not worried about that and do not know anyone that maintains a pump out log

In any event, while I do have overboard discharge, the system is decommissioned, disconnected, and winterized at all times.

No, No, No .... you are not a liveaboard. You are a transient cruiser. This distinction can make a huge difference in many Florida Marinas.

Ortega Landing Marina in Jacksonville doesn’t have “liveaboard” slips, they have “Full-time” cruiser slips. (rates are monthly from their rate sheet and no time limit)

$13.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - Non “Full-Time Cruisers”

$17.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - “Full-Time Cruiser”
(Full Time Cruiser rates include two free pump-outs per month)

Ortega Landing Marina in Jacksonville doesn’t have “liveaboard” slips, they have “Full-time” cruiser slips. (rates are monthly from their rate sheet and no time limit)

$13.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - Non “Full-Time Cruisers”

$17.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - “Full-Time Cruiser”
(Full Time Cruiser rates include two free pump-outs per month)

Interesting

I probably would've assumed that full-time cruiser means one is away more often thus the slip is open when they are away for them to rent out to transients thus the price should be less not more $$

I think it’s all semantics. The marina’s definition is 10 days per month or less to be be considered Non-full time cruiser. There boats that have been here for 5 years or longer and have never left the dock. They are considered Full time cruisers. It maybe on how the marina was permitted in the early 2000s and FL law?

I am flexible... I can take the boat out 2 miles, turn on sanitary discharge pump for about a minute and I am empty. Gives the boat and the engines and systems a bit of exercise too.

Dont let the system get you down.

You do mean at least 3 miles......:socool:

Marina

The Marina I am now going to be at has no problem with name live aboard. They are very happy to have live aboard folks.

What marina did you go to when Legacy let you down?

Edison Ford. I have an extended dock on both sides one is about 18' wide. I am in my own slip no boat next to me, Electric, Water, pump Out, Wi-Fi and cable if I needed it. The dock master is very helpful and the dock hands are really great.

Small only 45 slips but good privacy. Since we will be laid up there while I had electronics, get some small repairs done, I don't need a marina with a lot of services. I prefer to use mobile services for most repairs and installs.

You do mean at least 3 miles......:socool:

Yes 3 miles. Must be a typo.
:thumb: :angel:

I could never figure out which 3 miles. If I leave via Haulover bridge in Florida, and go out 3 miles, I just might be closer to some other point of land. SHRUG

I wonder if I should log that via GPS so the Feds can arrest me if I am wrong.
Suuuuuure

Charts are marvelous things....one quick glance and Bingo!

Interesting

I probably would've assumed that full-time cruiser means one is away more often thus the slip is open when they are away for them to rent out to transients thus the price should be less not more $$
Nope...it is the legal definition of liveaboard and several states have headed that way from what I remember reading.

Here's a snip...."t doesn’t matter whether or not you are living aboard for more than 48 hours. As long as you vessel is used for navigation and not solely as a residence you are not a liveaboard by Florida law, which trumps any local ordinances. Florida statute says this:
327.02 Definitions of terms used in this chapter and in chapter 328.—As used in this chapter and in chapter 328, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning, the term:
(17)“Live-aboard vessel” means:
a) Any vessel used solely as a residence and not for navigation;
b) Any vessel represented as a place of business, or a professional or other commercial enterprise; or
c) Any vessel for which a declaration of domicile has been filed pursuant to s. 222.17."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom