Post pictures of your exterior teak finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad he's OK. I've got enough for one more coating. Then he has one year to restart or I'll have to find a substitute.
cry.gif

I think I have all but convinced myself to just stick with epiphanes for the new boat. I like the quality it had on our Monk. I googled bristol finish and read a lot of stories of people not happy with the results though I suspect a lot of those issues are more related to their lack of proper prep or improper mixing. Still...epiphanes has been good for us thus far so I may just stick with it. We're kept under a covered slip in freshwater so more than likely anything will work just fine. :)

Woodsong wrote:
*I googled bristol finish and read a lot of stories of people not happy with the results though I suspect a lot of those issues are more related to their lack of proper prep or improper mixing.*
The mixing of Bristol is so easy even a caveman could do it. *8:1 ratio, that's it. *Everyone I've talked to who has had trouble with Bristol used the wrong application techniques. *It's very thin and so can be tricky to apply, particularly to vertical surfaces.

The people I know who have mastered the application of Bristol are delighted with it and, like us, have said they would never use anything else again.

But it definitely has its quirks which have to be learned.

Is that where the saying came from, "shipshape in Bristol fashion"...?

So....stripped the teak down yesterday. Still have to do sanding, etc. to prep but question.....
To take off the cleats or not? I am inclined to leave the cleats where they are but remove the chalks, etc. that are in place and then reinstall them through the new finish set in a small amount or 4200 at the screw holes. Stanchions would remain in place as well.
What say ye?

Tony:

On my boat, I have removed some stanchions to varnish under, but only when it was convenient to do so, or if the varnish had admitted water and was going black around the stanchion base. I don't have any chocks on varnish, but would have treated them the same. It is all about the final appearance vs the amount of work to achieve it.*

Your greatest critic will be your own eye, unless you invite criticism by inviting someone from this board.

-- Edited by koliver on Friday 24th of February 2012 10:10:18 AM

I'm also a huge fan of Bristol. Easy to apply and very forgiving to holiday's. The wet on wet method is the way to go, with no sanding necessary between coats. There's no better way to have nice looking brightwork for the time and dollar investment involved!

Attachments

• rscn0224.jpg
    rscn0224.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom