Scania DSI11 R82A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikala

Vessel Name
Mikala
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I am interested in a 50 ft trawler with a Scania DSI11 R82A engine, also known as a Waukesha Scania F673D series engine. The engine is original to the boat (1976). 11 liters (673 c.i.), turbocharged, intercooled, derated to 200 hp, with 3900 hours. My brief research shows these engines to be workhorses used primarily on older Mack trucks, fire engines, industrial and commercial work boats. I am told parts are still readily available.

The engine appears to be in good shape, with regular maintenance by the seller for the past 20 years, and has been used regularly between Alaska, Central America and Maine. Started right up during our initial look, but we did not leave the slip. Logs show 3.2 gph / 8 Kts at 1250 rpm. The seller runs it up to 1700-1800 for a few minutes once per watch to burn carbon.

Does anyone have any insight, good or bad, regarding this engine? Any suggestions for a seatrial, beyond normal? I would have my mechanic at a seatrial to perform an informal engine survey, along with a licensed hull surveyor.

We have not made a formal offer yet, but may do so soon.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

- Howard

I don't know a thing about that engine, but I have some generic comments.

Given that Waukeshaw sold the road and equipment version at one time tells me that there may be some support for those engines in those markets, but marine- I doubt. Did Scania/Waukeshaw do the marinization or was it done by third parties? It is usually the marinization stuff that gives the most troubles over time.

I would first call around in your home cruising area to see if there is a mechanic with experience in this engine who will work on them. Often mechanics shy away from obscure marine engines. If you find one, ask him about parts, particularly marinization parts availability.

David

Scania/Waukesha did the marinization. I will check on marinization parts. Injectors/injection pump are Bosch, so no issues there. Filters are readily available online. SW pump available online. Fresh water pump available online. Coolers are the only questionable area, but other than the inter cooler could be replaced with generic coolers if necessary.

Wet or dry exhaust manifold? A wet one is probably a bugger to replace.

Also, 11 liters at 200hp probably does not need a charge air cooler (intercoooler).

Who actually made the base engine? Scania, Mack, Waukesha?

Scania are sold and supported by Mack Boring in Union , N.J. Parts are available for newer engines and I'm not sure about older. A phone call will ease your mind. Bullet proof engines by the peeps that use them. No first hand experience with them but my company just put 2 in a large crewboat so we will see...

Wet or dry exhaust manifold? A wet one is probably a bugger to replace.

Also, 11 liters at 200hp probably does not need a charge air cooler (intercoooler).

Who actually made the base engine? Scania, Mack, Waukesha?

The engine plate states:
Mfg by Saab-Scania in Sweden for Waukesha Motor Co., Waukesha Wis.
Waukesha did the marinization.

The exhaust manifold is dry. Later builds of the same engine had wet exhaust manifolds.

059 1976-monk-garren-blakley-custom-trawler--17.jpg

060 1976-monk-garren-blakley-custom-trawler--18.jpg

KimtahPhotos2019_page2_image1 - Copy (2).jpg

KimtahPhotos2019_page2_image1.jpg

11 liters (673 c.i.), turbocharged, intercooled, derated to 200 hp, with 3900 hours.

Logs show 3.2 gph / 8 Kts at 1250 rpm. The seller runs it up to 1700-1800 for a few minutes once per watch to burn carbon.

Sounds like a formula for a really strong engine. Engine photos look nice and clean. I'm not a big believer in running an engine at just above idle then expecting to blow out the carbon with a quick burst, but your survey will tell more.

Let me know if you're interested in pulling it and selling, if you buy the boat.

I can' speak to that engine, but three of us a building Nordhavns with Scania engines. At least two of us did a lot of research, calling around, talking to dealers, owners, distributors, including a bunch of time with Mack Boring. Neither of us could find a single unhappy customer, service guy, distributor, or dealer. The first boat hit the water this month and so far everyone is really impressed.

Does not look like much down slope on the wet exhaust coming out of the turbo. Check that turbo is not stuck or rusted.

Otherwise looks nice. Numbers posted look nice. Sounds like parts are available. Dry manifold probably same as truck or industrial.

Sounds like a formula for a really strong engine. Engine photos look nice and clean. I'm not a big believer in running an engine at just above idle then expecting to blow out the carbon with a quick burst, but your survey will tell more.

Let me know if you're interested in pulling it and selling, if you buy the boat.

Agreed. The formula shows a strong engine that should last a very long time. The displacement to hp ratio is very high. Hopefully, if we get through offer/acceptance, the survey will turn out well.

I can' speak to that engine, but three of us a building Nordhavns with Scania engines. At least two of us did a lot of research, calling around, talking to dealers, owners, distributors, including a bunch of time with Mack Boring. Neither of us could find a single unhappy customer, service guy, distributor, or dealer. The first boat hit the water this month and so far everyone is really impressed.

Great to hear. This engine obviously isn’t as modern (it’s not even orange) as yours. I’ve done some homework as well, and can’t find any negatives on the old builds.

Does not look like much down slope on the wet exhaust coming out of the turbo. Check that turbo is not stuck or rusted.

Otherwise looks nice. Numbers posted look nice. Sounds like parts are available. Dry manifold probably same as truck or industrial.

Thanks for taking a look and sharing your wisdom. I will take a good look at both sides of the turbo and exhaust mixer during sea trial, if we get that far.

Mikala,

Can you contact me on Kimtah/Scania?

Thank you,
Gary

Back
Top Bottom