Drone Electronic Countermeasures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I read an interesting article in Yachting Magazine. (April 2019) Couldn't find the article online (too new?). Although I can't afford this system it is interesting. Here is the company they were referencing.

https://www.martekuas.com/solutions/mads/

OMG, what shall I worry about next? Close the drapes, talk in whispers, wear a ski mask outdoors.

Just don't use it in US or US waters as interfering with a drone is a federal crime with a maximum prison sentence of 20 years.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/USCODE-2011-title18/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap2-sec32

Okay, so now we have to be worried about drones and the Federal Govt..... and of course, idiots with drones.

Gotta 12 ga?

Someone wants to fly their drone over my little bitty boat, I have no problem if they radio me explaining their intentions. Of course it would be nice if they sent the pictures too.

That being said, when and if things turn sour, remember, the Feds just outlawed anything that makes your AR-15 into a rapid fire rifle.

We all remember the guy who mounted a hand gun on a drone and fired it remotely. Maybe not everyone knows, the Feds went to talk to this guy.

IF people keep screwing with us using drones, the Feds will make them illegal and make everyone turn in their drones or destroy them.

The first bomb dropped from a private drone or someone fires a semi-automatic pistol from a drone and people are killed, kiss your drones goodbye

I’m waiting on the upgrade that excludes both airborne and subsurface drones.

:oldman:

But damn! . . . that still leaves burrowing drones! :banghead:

Just don't use it in US or US waters as interfering with a drone is a federal crime with a maximum prison sentence of 20 years.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/USCODE-2011-title18/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap2-sec32

Your reference is in regards to the destruction of aircraft. That is not the case here. The counter measures deals with the operating frequencies and the ability to sent it "home" before it reaches your boat.

However as explained in the article this system is geared toward super yachts

I’m waiting on the upgrade that excludes both airborne and subsurface drones.

:oldman:

But damn! . . . that still leaves burrowing drones! :banghead:

and water borne drones.

The scary drone are the swamp of drones used against surface craft.

Last edited:
The American Government flies many drones. The first drone I ever saw was taking off to surveille the Washington/British Columbia border, American drone. Canada is too cheap and laid back to fly a drone over the border. That is why it is illegal to take down drones. It could be your local tax man looking at your yacht after you declared zero income for a few years.... lol.

What a crock!

The drone operator simply has to where an aluminum foil hat (Monty Python's "My brain hurts!" shape is best) and affix a similar aluminum foil hat atop the drone and Bob's yer uncle; 100% stealthabilty!

A couple of years ago, we dropped anchor near Don Pedro State Park on the west coast of Florida. My petite, little blonde wife decided to do some fishing off the bow... in a bikini. About ten minutes later, a drone swooped in and was hovering just out of reach off the bridge. In retrospect, I should have grabbed the gaffing hook. When the drone operator saw my face pop up in front of it, the drone flew off. It's getting so a hottie in a bikini can't go fishing in a remote area without someone spying on her from the air. :D:thumb:

Don’t flatter yourself guys. Everyone I know who flys a drone is trying to avoid people.

A couple of years ago, we dropped anchor near Don Pedro State Park on the west coast of Florida. My petite, little blonde wife decided to do some fishing off the bow... in a bikini. About ten minutes later, a drone swooped in and was hovering just out of reach off the bridge. In retrospect, I should have grabbed the gaffing hook. When the drone operator saw my face pop up in front of it, the drone flew off. It's getting so a hottie in a bikini can't go fishing in a remote area without someone spying on her from the air. :D:thumb:

I guess you should be thankful she remembered to wear her bikini. LOL
Oh BTW, the pictures came out real nice. (just joking)

Next time rack the shotgun so the drone can see you. LOL

I'm not seeing any reference to drones in that. Also it's limited to flights in the federal aviation zone or some such terminology. I expect that's the portion of air space where there is federal right of way. The layer of airspace from ground to some level that I can't recall is yours, and anything in it I would expect to be subject to prevailing trespass and entry laws for private property.

We have on more than one instance heard a drone buzzing outside our top deck bedroom and bathroom windows and looking in through our double opening doors on the top deck, again, straight into the bedroom.
In all instances I'd guess less than 30 feet away so would have got an eyefull.

Okay, so now we have to be worried about drones and the Federal Govt..... and of course, idiots with drones.

Gotta 12 ga?

Someone wants to fly their drone over my little bitty boat, I have no problem if they radio me explaining their intentions. Of course it would be nice if they sent the pictures too.

That being said, when and if things turn sour, remember, the Feds just outlawed anything that makes your AR-15 into a rapid fire rifle.

We all remember the guy who mounted a hand gun on a drone and fired it remotely. Maybe not everyone knows, the Feds went to talk to this guy.

IF people keep screwing with us using drones, the Feds will make them illegal and make everyone turn in their drones or destroy them.

The first bomb dropped from a private drone or someone fires a semi-automatic pistol from a drone and people are killed, kiss your drones goodbye
Wow. Who knew that an AR-15 wasn't already a rapid fire rifle? And, yes, I own firearms and have a Mossberg pump on board.

We have on more than one instance heard a drone buzzing outside our top deck bedroom and bathroom windows and looking in through our double opening doors on the top deck, again, straight into the bedroom.
In all instances I'd guess less than 30 feet away so would have got an eyefull.

Throw one of those big nets over it

Guess you will have to close the drapes or dance naked for the guy.

Some guy wants to view my almost 76 year old naked body really need some emotional help LOL
Come to think about it, some woman wants to see my almost 76 year old naked body with lots of scars, she needs some serious emotional guidance. LOL

Last edited:
"Gotta 12 ga?"

Actually an AR 7 uses 22 long rifle ammo and does not take up much room (stows in its stock) and with a liter soda bottle stuck on the end makes it almost silent!

"Gotta 12 ga?"

Actually an AR 7 uses 22 long rifle ammo and does not take up much room (stows in its stock) and with a liter soda bottle stuck on the end makes it almost silent!

And it is gooooood too. And like Ivory soap, it floats when disassemble and put into the stock.
You should specify the soda bottle should be empty and the small opening goes over the barrel, sort of. LOL

1. Drones are best for high level landscape shots, that's what I use mine for. If I do decide to checkout a boat, I try to stay at least 100' elevation and not directly overhead. At that level it's barely audible and I'm just getting a nice shot of your boat as part of the surrounding area.

1a. Very few drones have a zoom lens. Most all are wide angle, similar to a GoPro. A person on shore with a telephoto lens camera will get a closer shot of you/your boat than your average drone, even hovering close.

2. The boat anchored a few hundred yards away that spends all afternoon in their cockpit staring at the other boats through their binoculars is much more annoying. At least the drone has a limited battery life and will be gone in a few minutes. Creepy dude who thinks we can't see him is there for hours.

3. When you're on deck you are in public. You should have no expectations of privacy. The drone is no different than the fishing boat that trolls past, the kayak cruising the anchorage, or the snowbird boat that decides to drop the hook 25' away.

Back
Top Bottom