Marina Costs along ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfr51

Hello, :angel:
I have a whole bunch of questions but let's just start with Marina Costs, say from North Carolina down through Florida.
I have tried calling around and folks are not too helpful over the phone.
For Liveaboard? Do they charge by the LWL or LOA?
For Transient docks? LWL or LOA
Is there a Hotel tax tacked on top of that? Other tax?
Any other common marina fees?

I have read that in North Carolina you can apply for and receive a rebate
for part of your fuel taxes paid?

Since I am asking How often along the ICW can you find anchorages for a day or two or three or a week?
Boater friendly Stretches say from Oriental south?
Unfriendly stretches from Oriental NC South?

I am hearing that Florida has a thing about Anchors rather a thing against them...Anyone care to Expound on that?
Thanks in advance for all of your knowledge.
Regards, Gary

well there all different in nc you will pay 1.00 a foot to 2.60 a foot a night. more if over 40'.most charge by overall length some bump it up to the slip size .

what size boat do you have ?

all this is available at the waterway guide or dockwa .

a lot of marinas don't allow live aboard

I'm with Boatpoker, I travel 50 to 70 miles a day and can anchor every night. Most would be suitable for multiple days if you want. I have my list of normal stop marinas that run from $1 to $1.5 per foot. I'm probably in a marina or on a mooring every 4 or 5 days.

Ted

Not being flippant here.

But if you are that concerned about the minutia of marina costs to the extent that you have detailed.

Sell the boat.

Not being flippant here.

But if you are that concerned about the minutia of marina costs to the extent that you have detailed.

Sell the boat.

Actually it's a pretty reasonable question. There are a number of places (cities) where dockage can run multiple dollars per foot plus electric. Everyone has their threshold and yours might be $10 per foot, where mine is $2. Frankly, I'm not interested in spending $3,000 a month on transient dockage when I'm cruising.

Ted

Not being flippant here.

Sell the boat.

I think he may be asking because he has never done this before and he just wants to know what to expect. Isn't that one reason for this forum, to help new people out thru others knowledge.

Not everyone wants to hand out money every night to a marina just to enjoy the trip on their boat.

If you are running the ICW, there may not be many places to anchor.

Yeah, saving money is a silly concept.

Ballpark...figure $1.75/ foot per night from the Chesapeake on down. That's an average on random picks. You can target cheaper marinas and offset with free docks....

But you have to plan and accept strange length days to get cheaper marinas, or go your planned distance and take what's there.

I budget for $30 per day average....using free docks, cheap marinas, mooring balls or anchor out to hit that average...and the last few years I found it easy to average $25/day.

There are TONS of places to anchor along the ICW. Only a few stretches can be difficult but plan well and do a long day through those stretches and there are usually good anchorages at either end.

Last edited:
So... about those fuel rebates, how do you guys do on those?

So... about those fuel rebates, how do you guys do on those?
With a 2,000 mile range, I fuel based on price. For mt trip North starting in about a week, I see prices ranging from $2.37 to $3.50 for diesel. I can more than cover my marina costs for the trip with the fuel savings. :)

Ted

After a short search , I believe you have to be a resident of SC to be eligible for the rebate.

With a 2,000 mile range, I fuel based on price. For mt trip North starting in about a week, I see prices ranging from $2.37 to $3.50 for diesel. I can more than cover my marina costs for the trip with the fuel savings. :)

Ted

Ted, wasn't my question. Do you get the fuel rebates from the states where you can?

Ted, wasn't my question. Do you get the fuel rebates from the states where you can?
Truthfully, I haven't looked into it. Have you done it?

Ted

Truthfully, I haven't looked into it. Have you done it?

Ted

Exactly my point.

If I was so focused on potential "hotel taxes", fuel rebates, being charged by LWL or LOA, I don't think I would be actually enjoying the trip.

If you are running the ICW, there may not be many places to anchor.

We rarely stay in a marina (special occasions only) and have done the trip between Toronto and Bahamas several times without staying in a marina at all.

I have a friend who has been summering in Ontario and wintering in the Bahamas for over 20yrs., he has not stayed in a marina for over 20yrs.

There are some places (e.g. Albemarle Sound) on or just off the ICW where docking (up to 48 hours) is free.

Maybe its an Irish social thing but I find it strange that so many people prefer to be insular, whereas we tend to moor up and go and search around for interesting things to do, see and visit. We usually end up in a bar or restaurant to meet the locals, if its unsavoury we simply move on. Being Irish we carry loads of small Irish flags and if people are nice to us in a bar we give one to them

There are hundreds of anchorages. I have never not been able to anchor.

When we brought the N46 down from Long Island..... I will admit, where possible we rant 24 hrs/day outside. So I stand totally corrected.
Anchoring on the ICW, we spent 2 nights in 2 marinas. The rest of the time, outside.

Based upon my one trip from Long Island and refueling in New York...... Dont refuel in NY. The price of fuel was high and the piling on of taxes make the refueling experience very expensive. Refuel before you get into NY waters or after you leave NY waters. This was about 20 years ago. I hate to think of the cost today.

Maybe its an Irish social thing but I find it strange that so many people prefer to be insular, whereas we tend to moor up and go and search around for interesting things to do, see and visit. We usually end up in a bar or restaurant to meet the locals, if its unsavoury we simply move on. Being Irish we carry loads of small Irish flags and if people are nice to us in a bar we give one to them

Interesting. As you know I am Irish, and pretty much generally avoid people when boating.

Other than other boaters. I can break bread and sup with those all day every day - but landlubbers, who I am sure are mostly nice people, I avoid!

Horses for courses I guess!

Not being flippant here.

Sell the boat.

Respectfully, telling someone to "sell the boat" very much meets the definition of 'flippant'.

Whether someone can afford, or not afford, to boat is a very personal decision based upon a personal review of their finances.

I know of a couple who has made several seasonal cruises from Maryland to Florida in their 30 foot boat. They always stay in marinas overnight as, for them, they like staying in marinas. They also love to explore the destinations they visit.

Most folks budget for extended cruises, be it fuel, food, marina fees, equipping their boat, whatever. Telling someone to "sell the boat" is not a helpful answer. Telling a fairly new forum member to do so is not very hospitable.

Jim

Respectfully, telling someone to "sell the boat" very much meets the definition of 'flippant'.

Whether someone can afford, or not afford, to boat is a very personal decision based upon a personal review of their finances.

I know of a couple who has made several seasonal cruises from Maryland to Florida in their 30 foot boat. They always stay in marinas overnight as, for them, they like staying in marinas. They also love to explore the destinations they visit.

Most folks budget for extended cruises, be it fuel, food, marina fees, equipping their boat, whatever. Telling someone to "sell the boat" is not a helpful answer. Telling a fairly new forum member to do so is not very hospitable.

Jim

I did not tell him to sell the boat. Read my post again.

What kind of boat do you currently own? Difference between LOA and LWL isnt huge and I have a hunch you are in the pre planning phase- there are a lot more things to worry about than that while calculating. Use daily averages while mocking up your spreadsheet and refine it later. ActiveCaptain and Dockwa have a lot of it.

I did not tell him to sell the boat. Read my post again.

I read your post several times before making my post. Maybe you meant to convey something different, but the earlier post reads: "But if you are that concerned about the minutia of marina costs to the extent that you have detailed. Sell the boat."

What am I not reading! :confused:

Jim

While I often go into town when stopping at a marina, part of the reason I cruise is to experience nature and escape civilization. I find a quiet late afternoon into the evening at anchor to be very relaxing watching birds, fish and an occasional porpoise.

Ted

I have a whole bunch of questions but let's just start with Marina Costs, say from North Carolina down through Florida.
I have tried calling around and folks are not too helpful over the phone.
For Liveaboard? Do they charge by the LWL or LOA?
For Transient docks? LWL or LOA
Is there a Hotel tax tacked on top of that? Other tax?
Any other common marina fees?

You can get some of that $$$ info from Active Captain, plus or minus whether entries are current or not, and the Waterway Guide. In general, "transient" rates are higher than weekly rates are higher than monthly rates are higher than annual rates.

The calculation varies, but plan on using LOA, and be happy if some lesser length satisfies. Either A) a couple feet is only a couple $$$, or B) the difference will add up to real money eventually, depending on your outlook and your budget. But also remember if you ask for a 35' space, for example (maybe based on your boat's model number name or whatever) and you're really 38' or 39' LOA, they just might assign you a 35' space and you're outa luck.

I haven't noticed additional taxes on slip fees, but maybe 'cause I didn't pay enough attention, only looked at the bottom line. Fuel varies; some docks include taxes, some add taxes... It pays to ask if posted prices are inclusive or not...

We've not had problems finding anchorages. Look at AC or WWG, or other cruising guides.

-Chris

When I had a crew with a dog aboard, marinas were mostly way of life to keep things simple on a few levels.

By FAR, my biggest expense every year was marinas.

Transient prices can stagger many new boat owners if they plan on spending more than a few months underway yet taking their time getting places.

So yes it IS a very personal issue to what kind of "excess" expenses one chooses to spend....and for some it can be the single biggest on the spreadsheet.

Only a few places I have stayed had anything more than sales tax, and even many don't have that. Many do have a small discount for belonging to varied boating organizations. One even doubled down when they found out I was retired military..can't remember where though..and asking never hurts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom