View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
There's probably more the story, but there's a number of ways this could happen.

And, true, it's not hard to get "brain dead" flying 5 or 6 legs a day, 15 days a month. There's lots of reroutes, changes, etc., and perhaps someone told the dispatcher to send this plane to Edinburgh and the pilots could have thought this is appropriate. Who knows.

And there's PLENTY of screw ups in the flight planning and also in the final phase of the flight.

And there's a ton if times planes have landed at the wrong airport, but close by and "seems" correct.

Miami area has several airports with the same runway configuration, two east west and one diagonal southeast/north runways. I personally almost fell victim to that one.

Ellsworth AFB looks like Rapid City, SD and a few commercial planes have landed there.

There was a plane bound for Omaha and landed at Council Bluffs, a significantly shorter runway.

However, most of the time these diversions are only an embarrassment and some time or and retraining, rarely dangerous.

Gives one a chance to see new areas......

Isn't there GPS on the plane showing where they are, and presumably a mark for the destination airport, kind of like what we have on our boats?

And doesn't ground control track the plane's position via transponder and radar, and provide flight vectors?

And doesn't a flight talk to the airport for final approach?

And doesn't the airport monitor the incoming flight's position etc via transponder and radar?

I just don't see how this could happen for anything other than an purely VFR flight. And I would thing everyone involved would have to figure out what's happening well before a landing, but I could see them deciding to land anyway with heads down in shame because they are beyond the point of no return, or whatever other reason.

No?

Again, I'm asking, because this is all foreign to me.