View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Seductive Cruising Books

Quote:
Metafora wrote:
I am looking to this forum to help me in a seduction. My wife of Can anyone suggest books by cruisers that would make the whole adventure so deliciously exciting, so blissful, so joyous my dear wife will beg me to cast off from the dock and never return?
*Yes, but...... the books I can recommend and that have the potential to do what you desire are very specifically related to the Pacific Northwest, primarily the BC raincoast.

The absolute best cruising book my wife and I have ever read is The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet.* Recently widowed, the author took her five young children and their dog and explored the lower BC coast in a 25 foot cruiser (the dog rode in the dinghy towed behind) in the late 1920s.* The book is the story of their adventures and the people they met along the way.* Probably the single best book about boating in this area.* Out of print for many years it is now back in print..

The problem is that while it might give your wife a real desire for boating, it will be for boating in this area.* There is a major difference beween boating in the remote mountain fjords and among the thousands of bays, channels, and inlets in the islands of the inside waters of Washington and BC and the flatlands of the ICW, Chesapeake, etc.

There are a number of other books that I and my wife have enjoyed and have contributed greatly to our continuing love of boating, but they are all related to Puget Sound, the BC raincoast, and SE Alaska.* I have never read any book about cruising in the US southeast but I have to believe there are some.

But The Curve of Time is well worth reading, in my opinion, regardless of where one lives and boats.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 12th of February 2012 01:03:45 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote