Fridge door panel repair or replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
The teak veneer door panels on my Nova Cool fridge are looking really bad and have a couple of issues. Both the fridge panel and the freezer panel have big moldy stains on them. Also, because the fridge is right next to the main cabin door it gets wet and takes a bit of a beating (we have a 95lb dog who swims a lot).

I think the stains have some from condensation through the fridge door and from times when the door got really wet when the fridge defrosted. The water gets caught in the channel around the door that holds the panel which saturates the panel edges. Some wetness wicks up onto the panel as well.

Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Pull the panels off, clean them with an acid based teak cleaner, then stain both front and back with a dark oil based stain. I don't think I'll be able to get all of the mold stain off, but maybe the oil stain will cover it. Also, maybe the oil based stain will help keep it from getting saturated in the future?

2. Replace with a plastic panel from Nova Cool. The teak panel was an option with my fridge, they come standard with a black plastic panel. Seems like this would be easier to maintain. Probably pretty spendy for what it is.

3. Custom build some other sort of panel?

Anybody got any advice?

Thanks.

I would go with the black panel as long as your dog likes to swim.

That's a good idea, Larry. Did you just put formica on the existing panel or did you fabricate an entirely new panel?

Greetings,
Mr. D. I would think any plastic shop would have paneling that could be custom cut for an inexpensive replacement. Formica is a great idea as well. ONE advantage of Formica is a teak grain pattern should be one of a plethora of options.

Yea, give the dog a towel and tell him to dry off outside.

If you refinish the teak panel then soak the bottom edge and the part out of sight behind the trim metal with some epoxy resin so any errant water has no place to wick into.

I once redid mine with Formica. Then when I was adding Stainless Steel panels behind the diesel stove, I swapped out the fridge panels for Stainless Steel. Never go back.
Just take your measurements to any sheet metal shop and you can get brushed stainless. Tell them you want it to look like your fridge at home. Not expensive.

Same issue with mine (MS 400)... called the distributor last Friday to order the replacement black panels....I tried cleaning the old ones over the years, time for new ones.

Greetings,
Mr. D. I would think any plastic shop would have paneling that could be custom cut for an inexpensive replacement.
That's the route I would go..and probably will! :blush:

Attachments

• OA 42 Galley 2.jpg
    OA 42 Galley 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 28
We bought two small sheets of black acrylic. We used a long straight-edge and a utility knife to score the sheets. I improvised a break using the edge of a table and a 2x4. The sheets snap easily. (Ironically I have a small mini-break I made in my shop, but at the time, we were 100 miles away from shop).

I used 1/4", but you can buy 1/8" cheaper and pad the back with a sheet of cardboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom