Corian Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
For those who have installed Corian countertops in the galley, did you:
1) use the recommended frame underlayment?
2) use the existing Formica as underlayment?
3) cut out sections of the existing Formica to create a “frame”?

What did you use to glue the countertop down with?

Just to be clear, I’m not installing the Corian, just preparing for the installers.

Thanks in advance.

I would ask the installer so that you get it they way they want it so they will warrant the installation. We had it installed in a previous boat and they just went over the formica laminate. However if you go over a solid subsurface be careful with hot pans since the heat cannot escape through the bottom of the Corian, it can melt the Corian. You need to use cutting boards and such to set hot pots on. They used silicon caulk to secure the Corian.

Thank you both. I think the installer wants to put it directly over the Formica, but I was concerned when I read in the installation guide about heat dissipation.

When I finally connect with the installer, I’ll see if cutting out the center portions of the laminate tops—leaving a three or four-inch-wide “frame” around the perimeter of each base cabinet—will serve the same purpose as a shop-built frame.

Thank you both. I think the installer wants to put it directly over the Formica, but I was concerned when I read in the installation guide about heat dissipation.

When I finally connect with the installer, I’ll see if cutting out the center portions of the laminate tops—leaving a three or four-inch-wide “frame” around the perimeter of each base cabinet—will serve the same purpose as a shop-built frame.

Heat dissipation like from a hot pan??.. who would think it is ok to set a pan directly from the stove to the plastic top?.

Although I have gone into homes with first gen corian and seen burn rings next to stoves.. but most have learned that hot on plastic is no bueno..

I would be more concerned with flex cracking of cutout corners.. I have seen a number of cracked inside corners of corian on boats.

HOLLYWOOD

...When I finally connect with the installer, I’ll see if cutting out the center portions of the laminate tops—leaving a three or four-inch-wide “frame” around the perimeter of each base cabinet—will serve the same purpose as a shop-built frame.

Ian: I'm not sure I see the need is to cut out the center portions. You already have a (solid) frame . When we did Hobo's counters (galley and head), we went right over the Formica. It's been stable with no issues. Our galley is not constructed as a house is with individual cabinets put together.

Attachments

• 1j.jpg
    1j.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 4f.jpg
    4f.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 56
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 66
I put Corian in my galley and heads a couple years ago. Since I was also re-plumbing the boat with Pex pipe at the time, I removed the existing plywood/Formica countertops to expose the plumbing below. After the Pex was in, 1/2" Corian was installed by a contractor with no underlayment. The cabinet framing below provided adequate support for the Corian and the result is plenty stiff and strong. I'm very happy with Corian as a countertop material.

Putting it right over the Formica isn’t a problem if you do not set hot pots directly on it. Just keep a cutting board near the stove in case you need to set a hot pot on it.

Heat dissipation like from a hot pan??.. who would think it is ok to set a pan directly from the stove to the plastic top?.

HOLLYWOOD

The answer: DuPont does . . . to a point.

Also, the tech specs for Corian require the use of a frame underneath with no other underlayment due to, as you point out, uneven expansion of Corian and the substrate.

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/assets/pdf/fabmanual/Ch09-CountertopSupport.pdf

The reason I asked originally is my installer wants to go directly over the laminate. I wanted to see how that works in the real world since Dupont’s installation instructions say it’s verboten. Glad to see that it works just fine, as it has for Larry.

Putting it right over the Formica isn’t a problem if you do not set hot pots directly on it. Just keep a cutting board near the stove in case you need to set a hot pot on it.

This is going to be our approach as well. Thanks.

Are you getting actual Corian? There are a bunch of different brands out there. We went with LG because they had the colors we liked

Are you getting actual Corian? There are a bunch of different brands out there. We went with LG because they had the colors we liked

Yes, we like one of the Corian colors a lot (witch hazel). LG has some great colors, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom