3.5 cubic foot freezers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bajabuzz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Simbalaut
Vessel Make
Navigator 5300 Sundance
Hi all, I have to replace my current flybridge freezer and have narrowed it down to a couple of units.
Looking for advise and or experience with either of these two models and brands.

Current top choice is the Dometic CRX100 aka CRX1110. It is 3.8 cubic feet, compressor style AC/DC. This unit can be either all freezer, all fridge or a combo by removing the plastic freezer compartment. The lowest temp stated by MFG is 17 F. I have to confirm this will fit into my current spot. It is a couple of inches deeper than my current unit. Amp draw at 12v is rated at 6.2A.

Other option is to go with the same unit in place. This is the Novacool F3800. Can be bought as D.C. Only or AC/DC for about $150 extra. Also a compressor style unit. This is a freezer only unit and does not state the minimum temperature. The current one in the boat is still functioning but is badly beat up. And is just too rough for me to deal with. Amp draw on this unit is stated at 4.4 amps so considerably better as far as battery life goes.

Any wisdom on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, a bit too small. I am looking in the 100qt. range.
Too bad they don't make a bigger one. They are known to make a good product.

we have the Dometic, they work better if you them in an insulated box. They do keep ice cream hard . They are used in RVs also so some good prices can be found on RV related web sites.

All my experience is with Seafreeze out of Bellingham Washington. If you have already dropped them from your short list than i’m No help. If they are new to you check them out. My unit is 30 years old and this is its 3 rd boat with me.

Ditto Tiltrider's comments on Sea Freeze. Give David Lehman the owner a call and tell him what you need. A custom build to your size and specs might be realistic price-wise. I have two freezers: a Sea Freeze DC-only 6 cubic foot for food and a cockpit Magic Chef household AC-only power hog for fish and bait when we're in Alaska. I liked my Sea Freeze freezer so much I had them convert my 12 cubic foot AC household galley reefer to DC.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will check out Sea Freeze!

A quick look at their website doesn't show what I am looking for but I will call them anyways to see if they would make a 3-3.5cubic foot upright freezer.

Thanks for the tip!

That's about the size of my vitrifrigo freezer.
I like an external compressor.
And i don't understand that if you use it as a freezer it only gets to 17°. That's too warm for a freezer.

The Dometic unit is kind of a hybrid. It can be a fridge or a freezer or a combo if you install the removable freezer compartment.
Not sure why it does not go colder than 17F.

I've had Dometic and they're OK but spares are eye watering.
I'll go with Richard on this one. I bought a Vitrifrigo unit 12/220 automatic changeover and while it was expensive its worth every penny and I would have no hesitation in buying again.

Other option is to go with the same unit in place. This is the Novacool F3800. Can be bought as D.C. Only or AC/DC for about $150 extra. Also a compressor style unit. This is a freezer only unit and does not state the minimum temperature.

Can't speak to that specific unit, but our two are both 17-year-old NovaKool and we've had decent luck with them. I do prefer the AC/DC models, since that gives me the quick option to run on AC with shorepower or DC when underway (if the genset isn't running) without dedicated inverters.

I've asked their customer service questions before and they've been very responsive, could probably speak to the temp info if asked...

-Chris

A quick look at their website doesn't show what I am looking for but I will call them anyways to see if they would make a 3-3.5cubic foot upright freezer.

Thanks for the tip!

For a price, they will build you whatever you need.

I have a Waeco, about that size, it is 10 or so years old and continues to work well. Goes on the boat in the spring off in the fall, power usage is low 4-5 amps, used as a freezer. It came with a insulated blanket type cover. I normally also cover it with a space blanket to reflect sun. Waeco and Dometic, May be the same, not sure.

I've had Dometic and they're OK but spares are eye watering.
I'll go with Richard on this one. I bought a Vitrifrigo unit 12/220 automatic changeover and while it was expensive its worth every penny and I would have no hesitation in buying again.

I checked the Vitrifrigo website and all of their freezes show an external cooling unit. I don't know f I have the room to make that work. I don't live near the boat so will have to have the current unit pulled to see how much room exactly I have to work with.

We are leaning towards to Novacool unit since it is what is in place and has provided many years of service.

Back
Top Bottom