Gelcoat or Awlgrip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holty

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
To those in the know is my 2003 dark blue 30' Pilot II have a factory Awlgrip or gelcoated hull? thanks

regards Holty

My '08 MS 34HT has a blue Awlcraft 2000 hull. I believe MS used Awlcraft on all their dark hills. My Bacchus website has Hull Paint & Care info in the Links section. Many people refer to it as Awlgrip but they are same Mfg but different systems.

Had the same question just today. We have a slate blue 2007 Pilot and was wondering if it was the color of the gel coat or was Awlgripped since we were getting the hullsides detailed and specifically asked whether it was Awlgrip and if so they need to use Awlcare. Well they detailed it using a light compound and a wax, so will see. I called boatbottompaint.com, an Awlgrip dealer, and had a good article on their website. It said if you scratch the surface, if the color stays the same thru the depth of the scratch, then it is gel coat. If it turns white underneath the color than it is painted. Going to look for a scratch on our boat as I'm sure there is one somewhere. Hope this helps.

You absolutely don't want to compound Awlgrip. The shine of Awlgrip is only on the surface. You can compound and wax Awlgrip to make it shine, but the shiny surface fades very quickly. Awlcraft can be compounded and blended. The shine is throughout the thickness of the paint.

Ted

Had the same question just today. We have a slate blue 2007 Pilot and was wondering if it was the color of the gel coat or was Awlgripped since we were getting the hullsides detailed and specifically asked whether it was Awlgrip and if so they need to use Awlcare. Well they detailed it using a light compound and a wax, so will see. I called boatbottompaint.com, an Awlgrip dealer, and had a good article on their website. It said if you scratch the surface, if the color stays the same thru the depth of the scratch, then it is gel coat. If it turns white underneath the color than it is painted. Going to look for a scratch on our boat as I'm sure there is one somewhere. Hope this helps.

boatbottompaint.com is inop?

A couple years ago my 10 year old Awlcraft hull was showing its age. Not bad but not that much shine. I'd faithfully washed it using only Awlwash. The yard tried to talk me into compounding the paint. Against my better judgement I let them.

The used 3M Finesse-it and knew what they were doing. It came out great. Far better than I expected. The paint still looks like new.

One warning: The yard told me they can only do this process once--more than that and they risk cutting through the paint. Fine with me if I only get 20 years from the original paint job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom