Best online boating education

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_reality

I am looking for online education opportunities to better prepare for bareboat charter and eventually long term cruising a few years from now. Would be interested in gaining experience with boats 35 -45 feet capable of being handled by a couple. Are there courses/certifications available online that are helpful. Have 15 years of boating experience handing boats up to 25 feet on inland waters. Thank you for you help.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in the education opportunities available from US Power Squadrons - now known as Americas Boating Club.
I don't think you will find the breadth and depth of seminars and courses available at reasonable cost... instructors are generally very good and volunteers so you basically pay for materials and other misc costs. The material is well done and can be done independent/ self study either partially or in total if required.
Many groups are now offering a number of on-the-water training opportunities to complement the class / home study portions.
In addition to the courses you will expand your network of experienced boaters with similar interests.
See Americas Boating Channel for some brief training videos on a number of basic topics. Note... courses will go much deeper.

I'll second Bacchus' comments and add one additional one. The online courses are good, but I thing the classroom courses are much better because of the exchange of information between the people in the class. That sharing of information takes the learning to a whole new level you can't get from the online courses.

I'll second Bacchus' comments and add one additional one. The online courses are good, but I thing the classroom courses are much better because of the exchange of information between the people in the class. That sharing of information takes the learning to a whole new level you can't get from the online courses.
Absolutely agree... the only thing beats live classes is when it is complimented w on the water experience.
My only point was to encourage folks to sign up even if they have some issues and can't make all the classes.

Back
Top Bottom