Who /How Many Are Doing Trent-Severn / Georgain Bay 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
Just wondering if there are others headed for the Trent - Severn and/or Georgian Bay for the 2019 Season?

there are at least a couple of us headed that way and wondering if others want to connect to swap / share info & plans and maybe connect along the way.
I am NOT interested in or trying to organize a flotilla as that gets rather complicated IMHO... just willing to network and share info and think it would be fun to connect at one or more places along the way.
Anyone interested chime in and we will maybe swap contact info re PM and share plans & info.
Loopers including the T-S in their itinerary? or other cruiser welcome.
If interested - have you ordered your TF Burgee?? FYI they are selling fast and may be on our second order soon.

Our home base is Bay Port in Midland. Plan for this summer is to visit the North Chanel again (we were there 2 years ago - last week of August/first week of September). We travelled up and back via the small craft channel, stopping at different marinas and anchorages whn we could. A 3-week trip.

Last year we went across Georgian Bay and then north as far as Tobermory. This was a 2 week trip.

And we do shorter trips also - often during the week since we're retirees!

2006 Mainship Pilot 34 Hardtop
Norlund

Our home base is Bay Port in Midland. Plan for this summer is to visit the North Chanel again (we were there 2 years ago - last week of August/first week of September). We travelled up and back via the small craft channel, stopping at different marinas and anchorages whn we could. A 3-week trip.

Last year we went across Georgian Bay and then north as far as Tobermory. This was a 2 week trip.

And we do shorter trips also - often during the week since we're retirees!

2006 Mainship Pilot 34 Hardtop
Norlund
We will likely be headed back towards NY by mid Aug so will miss you.
We do plan to spend a week at Honey Hbr S Bay Cove Marina early July if interested in connecting then?
Any must see / do or highly recommended Anchorages or marinas along the SCR?

Baccus - would like to meet and chat over a glass of red wine!

We can come up to the Honey Harbour Marina, or we could both cruise northward and anchor out somewhere along the small craft channel - lots of places to chose from. To avoid the weekenders during the week is best.

Will you be updating your website as you proceed along the Trent Canal?

Norlund

Norlund
Thanks for the response.
Would love to get together... either or both options OK w me.
Not sure yet how to document the trip and update friends. I'm not a big fan of advertising were away for 3 mos but would like to do something and provide others a link.
I'll drop you a PM w my contact info.

We are headed back through the T/S this summer. Plans are to leave Grand Haven Michigan in early June, spend time in North Channel, Georgian Bay, transit from Port Severn to Trenton then the Rideau to Ottawa, over to Sorel and down the Champlain to NY and then points south for the winter.
Here is a link to our travels through the Trent last summer. It may give you some tips.
https://sumescape.blogspot.com/2018/06/travelling-beautiful-trent-severn.html
Perhaps we'll see you along the way....safe travels.

Sum escape
Thanks for the link will check it out. We have done the TS before so have some good ideas.
Any recommendations for GB appreciated... that will be all new for us.
Your Rideau Lk Champlain trip is a great one - you will enjoy it. Deep Bay, Mallets Bay and Burlington good stops. Reservations a must at Burlington if you want to get a slip vs mooring. Good public transportation to get anywhere in town.
Hope our wakes cross!

Last edited:
We will be doing the TSW this year. We will probably be at Trent round the 1st of July. We would be interested in meeting fellow travelers along the way to the Georgian Bay.

Don
Annie, NT 32'

We will be doing the TSW this year. We will probably be at Trent round the 1st of July. We would be interested in meeting fellow travelers along the way to the Georgian Bay.

Don
Annie, NT 32'
Don
Are you planning on back tracking TSW or loop back to Erie?
I think I mentioned before that our rough plans are to stop at Trent Port early June and be roughly at Port Severn by July 1 w plans to spend a week at Honey Hbr before heading N through the GB islands.
I have been working on learning more about GB options but no schedule or itinerary yet.
Hope to connect somewhere along the way.

Don
Are you planning on back tracking TSW or loop back to Erie?
I think I mentioned before that our rough plans are to stop at Trent Port early June and be roughly at Port Severn by July 1 w plans to spend a week at Honey Hbr before heading N through the GB islands.
I have been working on learning more about GB options but no schedule or itinerary yet.
Hope to connect somewhere along the way.

We will be going on to Lake Erie after the TSW. We plan to travel on the West (South?) side, working our way to Tobermory in a leisurely fashion - arriving around the first of August. You will be way ahead of us, but it would be fun if we could connect at some point. I will be interested in your recommendations on places to visit and to avoid along the way.

Don

While we will be ahead of you on our way N our plans are to backtrack. Hope we can connect at some point and will try to post some updates along the way.
I am exploring some options to share info and photos reroute but haven't settled on anything yet.

Cartouche will be going up the Rideau Mid July let us know if anyone is traveling that way, we are out of Collins Bay in Kingston, and if anyone feels like stopping on your way by we would love to welcome you to Canada and a very Nice Provision stop, with Best Chandlery right on the bay, even has a dingy dock a day from Trenton, on the North side of Lake Ontario Live Web Cam | Collins Bay Marina

We expect to make it to the TSW sometime this summer. Our schedule is weather dependent, starting out from the west coast of Florida. It would be very cool to meet up with experienced TSW cruisers at some point. :socool:

We have admired your boat and website for several years, Don.

Cheers,
Pea

We live a short walk from Lock 32 in Bobcaygeon but boat out of Lake Simcoe. We will be going north at some point to the Killarney area. We also spend a weekend or 2 in Orillia. We invite anyone in our area to get in touch to see if we can't hook up on or off the water.

WOW ! Got that on my bucket list looking forward to navigating the Trent in a couple of years ( Hope its still there )
Have a great time

Miz Trom, LaBomba,

Glad to hear there will be a few of us in the area.
I will send a PM w my contact info and update our status & plans as we progress.

Our rough schedule at this point is to be in Trenton for a couple days around the end of 1st wk in June. Spend a couple days in Orillia about 2 wks later and be in Honey Hbr GB the first wk in July before heading N towards Parry Sound and exploring the endless anchorages and highlights along the way.

Miz Trom, LaBomba,

Glad to hear there will be a few of us in the area.
I will send a PM w my contact info and update our status & plans as we progress.

Our rough schedule at this point is to be in Trenton for a couple days around the end of 1st wk in June. Spend a couple days in Orillia about 2 wks later and be in Honey Hbr GB the first wk in July before heading N towards Parry Sound and exploring the endless anchorages and highlights along the way.

:thumb:Look forward to it! FYI June 22nd weekend is Christmas in June weekend in Orillia and is usually a sold out event and very busy. You may want to either book early or avoid that weekend if noise bother you.

Last edited:
Vingilot ll is also headed to the Trent Severn around mid July, but from the west.
We think we will spend about a month on the TSW, but we don’t know if that is realistic with August water levels? Comments appreciated. We aren’t in any hurry.
Vingilot ll is currently in winter storage in Whitehall MI until the end of May and expect to be in Alex Bay, NY for winter 2019. We are retired and are greatly appreciating the fresh water, cooler temperatures and kayaking in the Great Lakes. We have enjoyed Green Bay WI, east and west coasts of Lake Michigan and the North Channel in recent years. We look forward to crossing Georgian Bay on the north side, “outside”, with channel marked entrances for anchorages. Any advice?

We would like to share contact information for folks going either direction from Michigan to the Kingston, ON. Also anyone with local knowledge about anchorages in the Canada Parks of the Thousand Island area.
Thank you.
Gary and Sharon Groves
MV Vingilot ll

Baccus - would like to meet and chat over a glass of red wine!

We can come up to the Honey Harbour Marina, or we could both cruise northward and anchor out somewhere along the small craft channel - lots of places to chose from. To avoid the weekenders during the week is best.

Will you be updating your website as you proceed along the Trent Canal?

Norlund

Norlund
I have been doing some GB cruise planning and have been trying to get back in touch - Sent you a PM
Please check your PMs and respond
Thanks

Not sure yet how to document the trip and update friends. I'm not a big fan of advertising were away for 3 mos but would like to do something and provide others a link.

Bacchus,

We created a boat Twitter account just for this reason. Small posts with videos and pics. Others can follow at their convenience and select their own notification preferences. You can control access as much as you like.

So far we have been happy, and have no plans to change.

Best Wishes

Bacchus,

We created a boat Twitter account just for this reason. Small posts with videos and pics.

Best Wishes

I'll put that on the list of possibilities and check it out.

Thanks for responding

Our plans are to leave Saginaw Bay around July 1 and go counterclockwise. Lake Erie, part of the Erie Canal to Oswago River. Then north to the Rideau, Trent Severn. Ending up in the North Channel for the balance of the summer. I will be monitoring this thread for ideas and places to see on route. We have spent many years going straight to the North Channel so we thought of trying something different.

Mike
"Emma Jean "
Monk 36 #93

Mlm2
PM sent - just check yours and respond

I am in Peterborough and have a truck. Happy to help anyone who needs supplies picked up in exchange for an hour or two over a beverage!

I plan to do the Loop soon and would love to chat about your travels and all things boating.

Liz

Liz
You're on!
We are hoping to spend a couple days / nites in P'boro and always happy to talk boating... especially over refreshments.
I will PM you.

Any one out there that would recommend the size of a boat for the Trent water way.
I want to be comfortable, Me and the Missus, little entertainment, Would like to continue on to the Mississippi and than the Gulf of Mexico. I was thinking of a 34ft Aluminum single engine.

Any one out there that would recommend the size of a boat for the Trent water way.
I want to be comfortable, Me and the Missus, little entertainment, Would like to continue on to the Mississippi and than the Gulf of Mexico. I was thinking of a 34ft Aluminum single engine.
I know a guy that did most of the loop in a 24 C Dory. He was solo but had company periodically.
There are loopers here on TF that can answer better but I'll give you my opinion...
Fuel is no problem in TSW or other inland routes. I believe there are stretches heading S from Chicago that fuel has to be considered carefully and/or extra carried. The other consideration is ability to run / cut across the Gulf.
That's very Wx dependent and smaller will cause more Wx delays.
Other than that it's a matter of what space you need for comfort for an extended period of time.
Are you the type that could tent camp or need a 45 ft motorhome.
We are planning about 3 mos on our 34 ft Mainship and we consider it adequate but probably wouldn't be comfortable in much less.

Back
Top Bottom