Ventusky/predict wind/ Windy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
I have been using Predict Wind for a few years. I have also been using Windy. My neighbor just recommended Ventusky. While the $2.99 price is no big deal it sure is more than free for Windy or Predict Wind. I would like some one else’s opinion before I add another unnecessary app to my iPad.

I have Ventusky. Seems as accurate.......or not as the rest and is very reliable. (Never down) Uses several different weather models. You can choose the model you want to look at or combine. Has a nice real-time radar function. Clean and well thought out software.

Most of those apps just use the same modeling as each other... so one really isn't "better" than another..just prettier other a few more features.

There are a few NOAA programs Desi go need for specific areas like the Chesapeake and NY bight areas that are different, but not sure what other area.

If using an app for a specific I temp such as wind, find out what the source of data is before paying for something that is usually free.

Most of those apps just use the same modeling as each other... so one really isn't "better" than another..just prettier other a few more features.

There are a few NOAA programs Desi go need for specific areas like the Chesapeake and NY bight areas that are different, but not sure what other area.

If using an app for a specific I temp such as wind, find out what the source of data is before paying for something that is usually free.

Agreed. I thought the Ventusky software had a better feel to it on my iPad. That was worth the price of admission. Do I rely on my / it’s interpretation? Nope. I have a good look / compare to what .gov says in the forecast discussion.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Windy gives me wind, waves and swells all for free.

Predict Wind gives me only wind for free. Monthly subscription for waves & swells

Ventusky gives nothing for free. I don’t know if there is a subscription.

I find the Windy forecast is similar to the 8 km Predict Wind forecast. I use the Predict Wind 1 km forecast in the San Juan Islands which is many times different from the 8 km forecast. None of the wave forecasts seem to be granular enough for my use among the islands. I also like the split screen which allows me to look at 2 different models.

I've only played with Windy.

We use Predict Wind regularly to augment the Gov. forecasts.

When we went to Barkley Sound last year we bought the P.W. short term upgrade package for about $12. It was 2 or 3 months. Well worth it.

Ive poked at others but because I've poked more at P.W. I am comfortable with it.

They all use the same BASE information I believe. It's each services interpretation and presentation that make the difference.

One thing we learned is to check more than one source. If the predictions are similar for winds and swells then likely it is a decent prediction.

Look out though and be cautious if there is a good size discrepancy as someone got something wrong.

I'll add that in some areas it doesn't matter who you use the weather may have other ideas. Local winds and conditions can turn those predictions into a dream/nightmare where inlets, tidal currents and large projecting land masses can strongly affect local conditions.

Last edited:
Have used Windy for a couple of years it seems.

Started playing with Predict Wind earlier this year.

Never used Ventusky - but will probably try it.

My thought is they all use the same source - just different UI. That said, User Interface can make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom