The SOB Ran My Damn Boat Aground!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlyWright wrote:
Two years ago, I was traveling across a flooded tract called Sherman Lake.* I had taken this route a half dozen times after being shown the route on my boat by a delta striper fishing legend, Mark Wilson.* I was following my waypoints.* As the depth shallowed, I slowed to 3 kts or so.* Then I hit something very hard and the boat abruptly listed to 20-30 degrees to stbd, ...
*Al, remind me not to follow you in uncharted waters.

markpierce wrote:FlyWright wrote:
Two years ago, I was traveling across a flooded tract called Sherman Lake.* I had taken this route a half dozen times after being shown the route on my boat by a delta striper fishing legend, Mark Wilson.* I was following my waypoints.* As the depth shallowed, I slowed to 3 kts or so.* Then I hit something very hard and the boat abruptly listed to 20-30 degrees to stbd, ...
*Al, remind me not to follow you in uncharted waters.

*Don't know about the Bay area...but don't follow an assistance tower through unknown waters...I've missed my sweet spot in shortcuts by a few feet every now and then and have to back off very carefully.* :)

One of the choices should read..."You are not aground until the Rum is gone!"...my wife's mantra!!!!

I have not run aground (underway) in my current boat--But I have anchored too close to a shallow spot and swung until the keel touched.

Being a Summer Day a quick dip in a good push and I was back in deeper water.* I moved out and anchored futher off the sand bar.

Thats what I like about small boats, you can push them around, If the wind and the current allow.

Notice the anchor rode in the attached image--boat is touching bottom and not riding on the anchor!

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 10th of February 2012 06:47:14 AM

Attachments

• adagio3.jpg
    adagio3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 100
John, Come on now my friend.

Aground is aground.
no.gif
Welcome to the club.
biggrin.gif

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 10th of February 2012 04:03:11 PM

markpierce wrote:sunchaser wrote:
The SF Bay estuaries continue to silt in as mountains erode and developments spring up. ...
*The San Leandro Marina is likely to close down in a few years.* It hasn't found money for dredging the marina and the two-mile approach channel to handle the silting.

They actually dredged "recently", after all the hue and cry that there was no money and they were doomed.* We just had lunch there in December...

Back
Top Bottom