Cleaning Diaphragm Shower Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I'm having similar issues since I replaced the pump and replaced a section of 1/2" hose from sump to pump with all 3/4" hose. Seems the pump couldn't suck and lift as well on the larger diameter line so I relocated the pump to a lower mount.
It worked for a while but not consistently and now it won't push the water out the 3/4 line to the thru-hull. I suspect it's due to the vertical lift to the thru-hull. My next step is to replace the 3/4" hose with 1/2" hose from Pump to thru-hull to improve the lift capability.

Now I think I know why the PO had a 1/2" hose joined into the circuit.

Maybe a smaller diameter hose will help in your case?

Hi,
I have 2 of this model of shower/sump pumps on the boat and the one in the master shower isn’t working well, it runs slowly and also water comes back up to just above the drain.
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Jabsco-36600-Belt-Driven-Diaphragm-Bilge-Pump-p/jab36600-0000.htm

What’s the best way to clean these and the overall drain? Does anyone know if there is a check valve to keep the water from coming back up?

Thanks!
Arthur

I have the same pump to scavenge the bilge water, it slowed down to the point of not pumping in taking it apart I found the check valves (item #11 in the attachment) clogged with debris being sucked up. Replaced the valves and installed an inline filter to prevent this, it now works like new.
Hope this helps.......:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 10.19.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 10.19.52 AM.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 69
You remove the 4 bolts holding the diaphragm in place. You'll find the valve area full of debris, hair. If the motor is turning slow check the voltage. You may need to clean contacts or run a heavier line on a more direct route from the battery.

A easy to clean strainer before the pump will help.
The pump should easily elevate from any yacht bilge, thru a vented loop, to a outlet above the water line unless you own the Queen Mary.

Is a vented loop required on a fresh water shower sump to an above water thru-hull?

If you ever have to replace the pump, buy a Whale pump. You can replace the entire wet side of the pump (housing, valves, hose connections, and diaphragm) for $21.

Whale pump rebuild kit

Ted

Is a vented loop required on a fresh water shower sump to an above water thru-hull?

Is this a requirement? Seems unneeded to me, like a bilge pump thru-hull.

Correction to my above post re: hose dimension. Yesterday's maintenance proved that it was my pump, not my hose diameter, that was causing the shower sump issues.

Problem solved, strainer on order. :facepalm: Thanks, guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom