Top Ten Boat Names 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Per Boat US these are the top 10 most popular boat names from 2011.* Number 1 - 9;* *I can understand.* But for us, number 10, would be . . . .*at best . . . .in our dreams*
biggrin.gif

1.** Seas the Day
2.** Nauti Buoy
3.** Aquaholic
4.** Dream Weaver
5.** Pegasus
6.** Serenity Now
7.** Second Wind
8.** Liquid Asset
9.** Miss Behavin'
10. Blew By You

That list proves what I have believed all along--- sailboaters are far better boat namers than powerboaters.

Unfortunately, it seems, cutesy names are in vogue.

All found on sail boats

Sail Bad the Sinner

le poulet de la mar

Baby Doc towing Little Tender Behind

There are definitely some "interesting" sailboat names out there for sure. But by and large, the sailboat crowd seems able to resist the "cutsie" (aka dumb) names that so many powerboaters seem to go for. The sailboaters can come up wth some clever or obtuse names, no question, but they don't tend toward the "bubba" names so many powerboaters seem to like.

I'm sure one could make a psychological study of this for a PhD thesis. Personally I think it's to do with sailboaters viewing their boats as extensions of the environment they boat in where powerboaters are more inclined to view their boats as dick extensions and so name them accordingly.

But that's just a theory.......

I kinda liked "For Play" but my wife wouldn't hear of it.

Bill Noftsinger
Amazing Grace

Sailboats definitely have the most interesting and sometimes unintelligible names.* We passed one once called "Oti*OA OA" .* I asked him*how to pronounce it as we arranged an easy pass.* "O-tee-O-Ahh-O-Ahh" is how you say it.* Now how the Hell am I supposed to hail you on the VHF with a name like that?* And the ones you could pronounce either didn't write the name on the transom where you could see it or it was so small that you couldn't see it with binoculars.**

Since we are always being passed I made our name simple and easy to understand via VHF.* I hate being hailed as "the white trawler moving south near red marker 98..."

I don't care what your boat name is or what the story behind it is, I only want to be able to contact you directly via VHF with no confusion.

I keep my boat names simple....* A woman's name and nothing cute.* "Polly P." is our trawler.* "Sara Sea" (OK, maybe that is cute!) for our Grady White.* Our next boat, if we ever buy one, will be "Barbara D."

Moonstruck wrote:
All found on sail boats

Sail Bad the Sinner

le poulet de la mar

Some of*my favorites:

P'Sonya

LiL Lolita

And my favorite all time sailboat name (as seen at the Latitude's Festival last year:)

Filthy Rotten Whore*
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Thursday 9th of February 2012 11:05:32 PM

bnoft wrote:
I kinda liked "For Play" but my wife wouldn't hear of it.

Bill Noftsinger
Amazing Grace
*Bill, I knew two couples that owned a sali boat together. *The name of it was Four Play. *They kept in by the bridge in Bath, NC.

Egregious wrote:
Our next boat, if we ever buy one, will be "Barbara D."
You could use this for the inspiration for your graphic treatment on the boat.* Crabber Debra D out of Bellingham.

Attachments

• debra d.jpg
    debra d.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 124
Marin wrote:Egregious wrote:
Our next boat, if we ever buy one, will be "Barbara D."
You could use this for the inspiration for your graphic treatment on the boat.* Crabber Debra D out of Bellingham.

*Since "Barbara D." is my mother, that would be a huge hit !
biggrin.gif

Egregious wrote:
I don't care what your boat name is or what the story behind it is, I only want to be able to contact you directly via VHF with no confusion.
*Don't know how to pronounce this boat's name.* Besides, it has many too many syllables.

Attachments

• hard to pronounce.jpg
    hard to pronounce.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 228
All are loads better than Carpe Diem , the mirror worshiping set seems to prefer.

I was gonna name one of our sailboats "Puffy Galore"...but I didn't want to have to explain it to my mother....:-|

And Marin, I will agree with you to a point but you also have to admit that stupid names do come from sailboaters as well...."Wind Chaser"...etc. In fact, one trawler name we considered was "Wind Caught"... I have always LOVED "Clewless"!!!..... *We also considered "Rhumb Dumb".

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:01:00 AM

I'm glad Skinny Dippin' is not on any list. Yes, it is a "cutesie" name, but it ALWAYS makes people smile when we tell it to people. It's simple, easy to pronounce, BIG AS LIFE on the stern, and at the time we named her, it was totally unique in the Coast Guard registry. Score one for power boaters! (and for our ego :-D )

Right after his mother Ruth passed away we named our Grady White "Ruthless", I just lost my dad "Doc" and so the new name of our new trawler is "Doctail"

My first two boats were "O'Frigate". Dinghy was "Rubber Friggy".

My next one already had the name "Attitude Adjustment" and I was smart enough to keep it. * Our dinghy was "Minor Adjustment"

My current boat is "the new Attitude Adjustment". *Our dinghy is "Tweak".

One of the more memorable sailboat names I have seen was "You're Dead a Long Time". Don't know why that one stuck in my head
confuse.gif

Egregious wrote:
Sailboats definitely have the most interesting and sometimes unintelligible names.* We passed one once called "Oti*OA OA" .* I asked him*how to pronounce it as we arranged an easy pass.* "O-tee-O-Ahh-O-Ahh" is how you say it.* Now how the Hell am I supposed to hail you on the VHF with a name like that?* And the ones you could pronounce either didn't write the name on the transom where you could see it or it was so small that you couldn't see it with binoculars.**

Since we are always being passed I made our name simple and easy to understand via VHF.* I hate being hailed as "the white trawler moving south near red marker 98..."

I keep my boat names simple....* A woman's name and nothing cute.* "Polly P." is our trawler.* "Sara Sea" (OK, maybe that is cute!) for our Grady White.* Our next boat, if we ever buy one, will be "Barbara D."
*I guess I'm old fashioned also. My dad's first boat was "Lisa". When I asked him why he named it "Lisa", his reply was that all boats are supposed to be named after women. "Boomarang" was our boat. But I didn't rename it because I was too lazy to change it.

I dislike hard to pronounce names in some crazy script or other font. Also, 3 inch tall letters are hard to read from behind when you're trying to hail a sailboater to find out what the hell they are doing. (With the transom size of a 27 foot Hunter I guess you don't have much choice.)

One of the stupidest names I think I ever saw on a sailboat here on Clear Lake was "Emerging Sea". Brilliant.
furious.gif

-- Edited by dougd1 on Friday 10th of February 2012 09:43:36 AM

Old Stone wrote:
Love the thread - got me to thinking of my vessels and their names.

1) 48' OffShore ...."Nido del Mar"* (Sea Nest)

2) 42' Ocean Alex Sedan"..."Mariposa"* (butterfly)

3) 54' Sport Fisher..."Bank Shot" (9 & 12 mile banks for fishing)

4) 38' Sport Fisher..."Baby Bank Shot" (Smaller Sport Fisher)

5) 30' Mainship Pilot Sedan (Hard top) ..."Southern Striker"

6) 29' Chapparell ..."Just N Nuff" ( Twin gas cruiser)

7) 35' Tiara Open Express..."Diadema" (Spanish for crown)

8) 32' Halvorsen..SeaHorse II (Too lazy to change it)

Notice: I've finally settled on a 32 footer. "The smaller the boat...the more time on the water." This was true for the first 4 years but in year # 6 that hasn't been the case. :hmm:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 10th of February 2012 10:43:44 AM

Old Stone wrote:- Let's hear yours -
We've only owned two named boats, and we still have them.* La Pérouse is named for the French naval captain and explorer Jean-Francois de La Pérouse who was the first French explorer to visit the Pacific Northwest.* He was a ship captain of a French frigate in the fleet that fought the British navy on our behalf in the Revolutionary War during which he defeated some British shps up in Hudson's Bay.

Our other boat is a 17' Arima fishing boat named Malolo, which is Hawaiian for "flying fish."

Other boats I have been associated with over the years with names I liked are:

Sceptre, the 12-meter sloop that was the the first British contender in the revived America's Cup race after WWII in 1958.

Daedalus, Boeing's first corporate yacht that was used for hosting airline executives as well as being a site for high-level meetings with customers and suppliers.* The boat was originally built in Germany for Augie Busch of Anheuser Busch and named the A and Eagle.* A and Eagle is the registered name of the Anheuser Busch logo.* When Boeing acquired the boat the then-CEO's secretary suggested the name Daedalus, who was Icarus' father and who flew to freedom successfully, unlike his son.

Lucky Lady, a small San Francisco bay herring boat based in Sausalito.* It was the first boat I came to recognize by name when I was just a toddler and my mom would take me for walks on the docks.* It was painted green and yellow and is probably responsible for this basic configuration being my favorite boat design even today.

The "original" Malolo, a 28' Uniflite sportfisherman owned by a friend with whom I did a great deal of blue-water game fishing off the north shore of Oahu in Hawaii.

Mud Puppy, a surplus LCM landing craft until recently owned by a friend in the San Juan Islands.* The local name for a shallow-water fish common to the San Juans, Mud Puppy was named by our friend's daughters.

Other boat names I like because of the boats I associate them with:* Endeavour (12-metre), Elsie (Gloucester fishing schooner), Kingfisher (UK narrowboat), Ferret (UK narrowboat).

If or when we acquire another boat to replace the GB, if we don't retain the name La Pérouse we will probably name it Kingfisher both for the local bird of that name and for the unbelievably irridescent and jewel-like kingfishers that haunt the British canals.

So far I've owned three sailboats. Didn't change the first two names, but changed the name on our current boat (with an official denaming ceremony).

1. '84 Newport 28 MkII - Sakana (Japanese for "fish")
2. '76 Gulf 40 - Rukh (Rukh was a giant seabird that saved Sinbad on his second voyage. Couldn't change that one! Named the dink "Sinbad")
3. '78 North Sea 33 - was named "Aventura", but renamed the boat "Venus" after my wife (who is my goddess of love and beauty...)

The trawler we want to get is "Silver Lady". A William Garden designed 51 footer built by Willard, she was launched with that name 50 years ago. I think we'd keep the name on that one...

However, if I ever owned a racing sailboat, I'd want to name it "Bow Movement"...

When we bought our GB it was named Grand Destiny. I'm not a fan of the whole "grand" naming schemes used by a lot of GB owners. Grand Adventure, Baby Grand, Grand Slam, Grand Marnier, R Banks, and so on. We had long before determined that if we ever got a bigger boat we would name it La Pérouse so we had no compunction about having the yard sand off the beautifully painted name on the transom of the boat.

The boat's name prior to Grand Destiny was Christopher Robin, which we still would have changed but at least it was appealingly unique in our opinons.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 10th of February 2012 03:12:08 PM

Moonstruck wrote:
All found on sail boats

Sail Bad the Sinner

le poulet de la mar

*We have a "Sailbad THe Sinner" in our neck of the ICW....

If I ever own a big , loud, multi engine go fast with bikini's on the back (probably won't, married with an 18 month old daugher) ...than name will be :

"Sin 'er Swim" ...Sin or Swim....something like that.

If I ever get a go fast boat it will be a Donzi and I will name it "JOHNZI"!!!...:)

We also had *Prairie 29 whose name was Prairie Dog. *All of my sailboats were named after my mother....Miss Helena

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 11th of February 2012 10:13:09 AM

JMYSS wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
All found on sail boats

Sail Bad the Sinner

le poulet de la mar

*Yep, probably the same one. *I saw him waiting for the bridge to open at Wrightsville Beach just North of you.

Named my Dad's 28.5-foot sloop "Seeadler" ('Sea Eagle' after the German WWI square-sailed sea raider), my 24-foot pocket cutter "Windsong," and my present trawler.

Moonstruck wrote:JMYSS wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
All found on sail boats

Sail Bad the Sinner

le poulet de la mar

*Yep, probably the same one. *I saw him waiting for the bridge to open at Wrightsville Beach just North of you.

*Here all this time I thought he meant it was a sin as*in how bad he sailed his boat.* Who knew?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom