Ford Tri-motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
For the last several days I've heard strange multi-engine airplane noises flying overhead. Today, curiosity overcame and went outdoors. There it was! A Ford Tri-motor airplane there in the sky. Have fond memories building a plastic model kit of the same in the sixties. I'm presently grounded, but perhaps someone local might want to take a ride on an historic plane.

https://www.visitconcordca.com/events/ford-tri-motor-tour/

Oh no! Concord-based tours end today.

Good news! Flights will be available in Vacaville.

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-d...s-ford-tri-motor-aircraft-coming-to-nut-tree/

Last edited:
I took the ride a few years ago at Oshkosh. You had EAA's Tin Goose out there. The fact she still flys is remarkable. At Oshkosh that plane operates from dawn to dusk for a week - what a workhorse.

That’s an awesome looking airplane. I like the corrugated tin look.

That's also a great jump aircraft. I have fond memories of that when I was a smokejumper in Missoula, MT. Johnson Flying Service was our contractor. I had 8 tri-motor jumps under my belt when I entered the army jumpschool at Ft Benning, GA back in 1964. It is a bit noisy though! Ben

We had one back in the 80’s at Grand Canyon Airlines. I was really more involved with the parent company and our helicopters but I got some time in the old tin goose. I was really young back then.

tego - did the prior experience give you an edge at jump school or just make you a target for the black hats?

SBU22, I didn't tell them until I was halfway through, when I asked a question about the PLF (parachute landing fall). After that, they treated me almost like a human being most of the time. A couple asked me what it was like looking for a postage-stamp-sized DZ in the mountains. Ben

I took the ride a few years ago at Oshkosh. You had EAA's Tin Goose out there. The fact she still flys is remarkable. At Oshkosh that plane operates from dawn to dusk for a week - what a workhorse.

I should have gone for a ride..... my buddy was one of the pilots for the OSH gig. Neat plane.

Back
Top Bottom