Thread: Teak
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Comodave
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Well, I have teak decks on my sundeck which is well protected but the caulking finally bit the dust. So over the winter I stripped out the old caulking, sanded the grooves and then sanded the varnish off the teak. Waiting on warmer weather to put in the new caulk but I probably have 80+ hours on my hands and knees so far. That is what I meant about back muscles. The coring I was referring to is the wood between the top fiberglass and the bottom fiberglass. The teak decks are screwed through the top fiberglass and into the coring. Over time water can work it’s way down into the coring and the core will rot and loose it’s strength. The water can get in by going down along the screws or more likely by the caulking going bad. To repair the core you need to remove the teak, cut out the top fiberglass, tear out the rotted core, replace the core and then replace the top fiberglass and refinish the deck by either glassing and painting or putting on new teak since you probably destroyed the old teak getting it off. It isn’t had technically just a lot of labor, on your hands and knees, there go those back muscles again. I havd back issues as you may have figured out, maybe your back isn’t an issue. Personally I wish my sundeck did not have teak decks. They are beautiful but a PITA as far as maintenance. Good luck with whatever way you go.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote