Illuminate a lightbulb issue, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Sea Fever

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 49 Classic
We have a 1983 Grand Banks Classic 49. The headliner throughout is in good shape. Most of my ceiling lights have one bulb that’s out, and I’d like to replace them.
I’ll be darned if I can see a way to open the light fixture to replace the bulb.
Here’s a photo...

IMG_1906.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Capt. Sea Fever

Does the plastic material push up enough to allow you to position it, possibly bend it a little, to get it out of the opening? My kitchen fluorescent light fixture at home works that way.

Does the plastic material push up enough to allow you to position it, possibly bend it a little, to get it out of the opening? My kitchen fluorescent light fixture at home works that way.

Greg,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I’ve tried to move the plastic material, but the PO must have glued them in place.
Ken

Though I’m not familiar with this fixture, it may have spring clips on the back that holds it tight to the headliner. Try gently pulling down on the frame and see if it comes out a little. You may have to work your fingers up inside to retract the clips to release the fixture. If so, you might be able to get to the bulbs from the back of the fixture.
We have small round spots that are flush mounted within the headliner and they are held in place with spring clips.
Gary

Spring clips were my first thought also.

That vid was lite on content.

How did they fish the added lines?
With the light on how did the dim feature look? (It is a vid after all)
How about a before and after shot with the lights on?
How did the wiring get hooked up?
And the original reason, how did the fixture come apart and go back together? - He did say they snapped and it is a vid, would have been nice to see them "unsnap" and "snap" the old fixture.
And how did the new fixture "snap" in?

That 2+ minute vid could have been done in a blog and have the same content. It is a video, they could have done much better shooting video instead of watching a guy crimp wire.

The OP wants to get inside the light fitting,if Benthic 2`s video answers that he has his answer. If not,try the GB forum.

Action.....this isn't an LED thread....the video shows an example of an overhead Grand Banks light being just pushed into place....I was just trying to be helpful.

I know you were and that is good.

Did you produce the vid?

A picture would be nice. On my GB you put your fingers tight against the frame and can pull one side down then the other. Skinny end down. The clips are brass with spring loaded ball bearings. To in stall line up and push home.

Mine are held up by velcro and clips, just pull them down , its easy

Thanks everyone for your input.
I got up the nerve to sneK my stubby fingernails between my delicate headliner and the frame, and sure enough, there are spring clips, one on each skinny end, that snaps into place.
Now my cabin is much brighter.
Problem solved!
Thanks!
Capt.SeaFever

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom