View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 PM  
dirtdoc1

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi, Selene 36, 40, 42 are just a certified CE-B category like Nordic Tug 34, 37 and 42. These smaller Selene trawlers are not better "Blue water" boats than NT because the manufacturer did not apply for CE-A certification from Europe, It would be better in marketing sense here, Any reason for preventing them from registering with CE-A, in fact, their stability curve is too poor vs exaple SD hull Elling E3/E4

CE category:

Category A Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes.
Category B Offshore: includes boats operating offshore with winds to 40 knots and significant seas to 13 feet.
Category C Inshore: is for boats operating in coastal waters and large bays and lakes with winds to Force 6, up to 27 knots, and significant seas 7 feet high.
Category D Inland or sheltered coastal waters: is for boats in small lakes and rivers with winds to Force 4 and significant wave heights to 18 inches.

NBs
Regardless of the CE rating. A full displacement hull is going to perform better than a semi displacement hull in heavy seas. My boat has a semi displacement hull and is considered a coastal cruiser because of that. I'm not going to be offended if someone states that it's not a blue water boat - because it isn't. I didn't mean to imply that the NT was lacking in any way because of the hull design. Am I incorrect when I state that the NT has a SD hull and the Selene has a FD hull? If I am incorrect about that then I will stand corrected, otherwise I stand by my statement.