Hervey Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Duck44

I am interested to hear from any members based in the Hervey Bay, Queensland area.
Wondering what you think about the area as a place to live and to boat.

Thanks,
Richard.

Not based there but recently did a road trip from Mackay to Brisbane scouting marinas and co-located realestate as possible retirement options. The great sandy bay marina at Urangan (Hervey Bay) was excellent. Good marina and lifestyle facilities (clubs, bars, restaurants etc). Generally a great vibe to the place. Some really affordable waterfront units around the marina ($300k range) but note that most are leasehold (not freehold) and there are big question marks over long term risks. Some background at
http://greatsandystraitsresort.com.au/role-of-association/

One of my daughters works in HB, so I've been there a bit including staying in a resort property for a period. And I have spent some time in two of the three marinas on my boat. Reading the link that Robert posted you will see that precinct (mostly the land, but boardwalk etc which affects the marina) is quite a mess. Whilst I hope it can be resolved soon, it is hard to see it happening as there are some difficult issues involved. There is a big risk to buying into real estate there. But for transients, or renting there, its pretty good. I enjoyed it a lot.

The broader region is justifiably popular with the land-based grey nomads, and the place has enough critical mass to have just about all the retail stuff you could want. Real estate in the broader area seems quite strong and secure, to me at least. Brisbane is only 4 hours away, with that time likely to shrink once Gympie has a bypass.

From a boating perspective, its at the top of the Great Sandy Straits so has access to all the fishing in those areas, although personally I don't like the murky water. Some reported croc sightings in the Mary River. However, HB itself has sandy swimming beaches, and its not that far across to the Western side of Fraser Island which also has clear water and good swimming. Its about 100nm up to Lady Musgrave and the Bunker Group, which are fabulous boating areas. If I lived there I imagine that I would have a trailer boat for fishing and day trips to Fraser, and use my larger boat for trips to the southern Great Barrier Reef (including the Swain Reefs) when conditions were favourable.

Thanks Robert and Brian for your info - will head up there in a month or so and have a look.
I noticed that pretty much all the houses on sale have security screens on any openable window or door - maybe that indicates a high crime rate.

Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited:
Have been considering moving there, up from the Gold Coast as its starting to get real
crazy here, busy boating and gridlocked roads, have berthed at Hervey Bay Marinas several times, reasonable rates and quite friendly. Real estate prices are much cheaper as well. Big plus, it is past the Wide Bay Bar.

Thanks Robert and Brian for your info - will head up there in a month or so and have a look.
I noticed that pretty much all the houses on sale have security screens on any openable window or door - maybe that indicates a high crime rate.

Cheers,
Richard.

My guess is that the screens are for cooling breezes. No need to close up at night or when off to the shops. I'm not aware of abnormal crime rate there.

Back
Top Bottom