KVH3 upgrade for Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OPUS

Vessel Name
Opus
Vessel Make
44 Tiara Sovran
Spring is just around the corner here in the NE. I’m starting to work on my spring commissioning to do list and have a new unpreviously dealt with challenge. The PO had his yard install a Direct TV KVH 3 Tracvision System. It’s worked well for 3 years but i’m Getting notices from Direct TV that they are making satellite transmission changes that are not compatable with my receivers.

I spoke briefly with a KVH rep at a fall boat show who said that I needed to do some upgrades but he was not very specific. I think the PO bought a used system as I have no system manuals for the KVH Sat receiver. The receivers appear to also be from KVH but require a Direct TV chip for each of the 2 receivers.

Thought I would check with the forum to see if anyone has gone through a similar issue this winter/spring?

I have a KVH M3 on my boat. I received the same notice from Direct TV that my boat receiver needs a upgrade or I will stop receiving Direct TV service in the near future. Apparently TV Broadcasters will not have to transmit analog and digital signals, everyone in the country with analogy (old) TV's or old Direct TV boxes will have to upgrade to newer boxes. My son just bought a new KVH TV5, it uses a KVH box and a Direct TV box. All of us with the older KVH M receivers will not have service. Mine is only 4 years old, I'm assuming KVH will come up with the necessary equipment to work with our older KVH antennas. I could be wrong but this is what the Direct TV technician told me. I'm hoping this is not the case and we do not loose our service. Mel

Opus

I was able to find the manual on line for the KVH TV3 system, and from what I could tell you will need to buy a DirecTV receiver and set up an account. It will connect to one of the output ports on the KVH box, the one labeled SWM, as I believe all new receivers must connect to a SWM switch, which is apparently contained in the KVH box. As far as format changes/upgrades, you will have to contact KVH to see if DirecTV is making any changes that would affect their ability to acquire and track the satellites.

From what I can tell in the manual on DirecTV you will not be able to get HD programming. You might be able to using DISH Network, but the manual is not written very well and doesn’t describe if it has the ability to provide HD on DISH.

Tom

First, I really can’t answer your question. From everything I am reading DirectTV is dropping all programming on one of its satellites. What they are replacing that programming with they haven’t mentioned. All of DirecTv’s HD programming is presently on Ka band. Your antenna can only receive Ku band. Your antenna can not be upgraded to receive Ka band. It may be that they are planning some HD Ku transponders. Even if this is the case i’m Not sure you can upgrade a Kvh TV3 to receive HD. Maybe KVH is working on a Ku HD upgrade for its smaller dishes.

Second, if you can still program your antenna. Point it at satellite 101, 110, and 129. You can then get all the SD programming from Dish Net work.

At this point in time you can only get affordable ($3000) HD programming from Dish on an Intellian antenna. To get HD from Direct takes a large $10,000 antenna.

It has been a few years since I researched Satellite dishes. HD is transmitted on several frequencies. It takes a MIPPS to put these pieces together for an HD picture. Intellian was the only antenna under $10,000 doing this last I checked.

I would call Intellian, pick their brains then call Kvh and see what they have to offer. Internet TV is taking off and the Satellite providers have experienced a shrinking market for years now, hence, DirecTV NOW.

Ok, I see that KVh has a receiver with mipps in it so you can receive Dish HD on your TV3.

It has been a few years since I researched Satellite dishes. HD is transmitted on several frequencies. It takes a MIPPS to put these pieces together for an HD picture. Intellian was the only antenna under $10,000 doing this last I checked.

I would call Intellian, pick their brains then call Kvh and see what they have to offer. Internet TV is taking off and the Satellite providers have experienced a shrinking market for years now, hence, DirecTV NOW.

That's the solution we decided to go with, TR. Smart TV, DirecTvNow, and a wifi range extender coupled with an LTE modem. Far cheaper than an upgraded dome and upgraded receivers. Plus, it's far more portable... meaning we can watch it from anywhere on just about any device.

John

DIRECTV is decomissioning the satellite that the KVH unit was using. (there are land based customers that this also impacts). I believe the new receivers have the software to interface with the other satellite.

I have some contacts in DIRECTV engineering. Let me reach out to them on possible solutions.

Looks like this is a problem that will affect plenty of boats and probably even more motorhomes in the near future. I have the last model M series from KVH, not the newer model KVH TV series. I never had HD on mine and don't need HD. I used to get satellites 101 and 119 which gave me local channels and the same Direct TV channels I have on my home package. I only receive one satellite signal now and don't get the local channels. This is OK for me. Sounds like this is not the time to purchase a replacement package (dome and receiver) until the satellite providers finish their upgrades.
There are plenty Direct TV customers out there and with ATT now owning Direct TV, Services will get worst. My opinion.
I haven't cruised my boat in over a year and probably won't use it this year except to rest from chemotherapy. If I lose Direct TV, no big deal. Mel

Opus,

I found this technical bulletin, https://www.sats2go.com/images/DirecTV-chages-2019.pdf, that pretty much explains what is going to happen. Since you don't have any receivers, the only ones you can buy new will be HD receivers. The major potential problem I see in the SD programming going away on the 101 satellite, is the channels being offered in HD may have some differences. DirecTV has always treated the channels they put on specific satellites as a state secret, so they (ATT) probably won't publish a list of the HD channels on the 101 satellite.

Tom

If I recall a few years ago, did not DircTV and Dish was changing frequencies and all the KVH units had to be reprogrammed. Same or different issue?

So I have a 2006 KVH M7. Non-HD with only 1 LRB. I use an old DircTV DVR as my receiver. When I checked into HD, it was a 14K nut upgrade. So I guess they will catch up with me sooner or later.

What I see a lot of folks doing instead of spending $12+ for a new KVH system they going to Camping World and getting these. I saw several on fishing boats in SE Alaska.

https://www.campingworld.com/winega...-receivers#start=17&cgid=satellites-receivers

The link that ASD just posted will work only with Dish. At the end of this month it will not work with DirecTV, maybe. It is possible that Direct will repopulate the KU transponders with HD. If this happens then this dish will pick up only the HD channels on the Ku band. It is not capable of picking up Ka band.

TracVision TV-series
The TracVision TV-series antennas will continue to operate with the DIRECTV/AT&T service on the 101W orbital slot1. Non-HD-compatible DIRECTV/AT&T receivers (D-series, r-series) will require replacement with HD-compatible (H-series) receivers. Refer to the Installation/User’s Guide for information regarding DIRECTV/AT&T receiver compatibility and configuration. Subscribers may be subject to a change in channel availability as DIRECTV/AT&T shifts channels to available orbital slots as a result of this transition.
TracVision M5, M7, and M9 Antennas
The TracVision M5, M7, M9 antenna systems will continue to operate with the DIRECTV/AT&T service on the 101W orbital slot1. Non-HD-compatible DIRECTV/AT&T receivers (D-series, R-series) will require replacement with H24/HR24 HD-compatible receivers (Note that H25 and Genie components are not recommended for this application). Refer to the Installation/User’s Guide and a forthcoming technical bulletin for information regarding DIRECTV/AT&T receiver compatibility and configuration. Subscribers may be subject to a change in channel availability as DIRECTV/AT&T shifts channels to available orbital slots as a result of this transition.
TracVision M1, M1DX, M3, and M3DX Antennas
The TracVision M1, M1DX, M3, and M3DX antenna systems are not compatible with the newer HD DIRECTV/AT&T receivers. See “Upgrade Opportunities” below for options.
TracVision A5, A7, R6, R6DX, and R6ST Antennas
The TracVision A7 and R6 family of land mobile antenna systems are not compatible with the newer HD DIRECTV/AT&T receivers. See “Upgrade Opportunities” below for options.

Upgrade Opportunities means you need to buy a whole new system.

I called kvh technical support yesterday great I was told by the technician that DirecTV it's not not activating or reactivating any M series receivers. What he told me is don't let your subscription to DirecTV laps. They will not reactivate your box

I don’t think what KVH said is entirely correct. DirecTV is doing away with all standard definition programming. That programming is formatted differently (MPEG-4 versus MPEG-2) and uses a more efficient modulation format. Simply put the old receiver can’t decode the format currently used for high definition programming. The satellite that carries the programming will begin transmitting programming in the format used for high definition but may not be in high definition. That programming may be identical to what is on the 101 satellite today and transmitted in standard definition resolution(480p). In the past when the satellite providers changed their signal format and rendered some receivers obsolete, they offered a trade up program. That is probably what generated the comment if you have an active account with an old receiver don’t turn it off.

This is an educated guess as to what’s happening as ATT/DirecTV treats their technical data as state secrets.

Gee. Glad I had my spare M10 box repair at the cost of $400. I guess at the end of March it will be worthless

The link that ASD just posted will work only with Dish. At the end of this month it will not work with DirecTV, maybe. It is possible that Direct will repopulate the KU transponders with HD. If this happens then this dish will pick up only the HD channels on the Ku band. It is not capable of picking up Ka band.

From the website:

RoadTrip T4 In-motion Automatic Satellite Antenna works with DISH, DIRECTV and Bell TV programming for ultimate viewing versatility.

So if..when we lose our DirecTV programming. What is everybody considering doing? A new tv 3 system cost over $3,500 off Bay

I am considering all options but it looks like I'll need new equipment either way

So if..when we lose our DirecTV programming. What is everybody considering doing? A new tv 3 system cost over $3,500 off Bay
Good question! After reviewing my $83/month Direct TV bill & asking myself if it's really worth it, the answer was "NO. I am presently removing & returning 2 Direct TV receivers and switching to a Glomex system. 3 other boats on my dock have Glomex and the resolution is fantastic! It also works in Avalon so that sealed the deal for me.:blush:

Its been a few years so I don't recall the specifics, but years ago, my KVH M7 stopped receiving some HD signals from Direct because they were migrating from Ku band to Ka band. The My was incapable of receiving Ka band signals and there was no upgrade path (other than a $500 discount on a new KVH HD antenna). I do recall that this problem was forseen by KVH when my boat was commissioned but they did nothing to warn potential customers, like myself, that the antenna would soon become obsolete. I switched service to Dish, and that worked fine for a while, but at some point several years ago Dish at least commenced a similar migration away from Ku in favor of Ka. As a result, I purchased an Intellian HD antenna and have been happy since. Meanwhile, Dish changed some other policy while DirectTV made me an offer I could not refuse to move my home and boat service, as well as cell service, to ATT / Direct.

ASD, sorry not picking a fight here. This is also from the same website.

Receives DISH and Bell TV SD and HD and DIRECTV SD programming on: DISH satellites 110°, 119° or 129°, DIRECTV satellites 101° or 119°, and Bell TV satellites 82° or 91°

Note Directv is limited to SD only and it goes away at the end of the month.

ASD, sorry not picking a fight here. This is also from the same website.

Receives DISH and Bell TV SD and HD and DIRECTV SD programming on: DISH satellites 110°, 119° or 129°, DIRECTV satellites 101° or 119°, and Bell TV satellites 82° or 91°

Note Directv is limited to SD only and it goes away at the end of the month.

Not at all. I guess I will find out on April 1st. So far I have NOT received a message from DirectTV.

This sucks...i have worked to keep everything on my boat 12volt. 32" jensen tv. Kvh m1 box...now i will have to use the inverter to run a 110volt direct box

ASD,

I don't think you will hear anything from DirecTV. They should have already contacted everyone with old SD receivers. Once they have replaced those receivers the SD programming will go away. Like any big operation, 5-10% will ignore the letters and not read the warnings, and they will learn on April 1. The only unknown I see is what programming comes over the 101 satellite after April 1. It probably won't be 100% that was available on March 31 since HD programming takes up more satellite space than SD programming.

Tom

...have a KVH M1 with a DirecTV RCVR, came with boat, never activated. Will probably do like Codger and go with a Glomex or some type of good cellular external antenna with booster and repeater.
TVs not that important to us, already get a few local channels on a UHF antenna when near certain urban marinas. Eventually 5G will likely change the game and the era of the big $$$ cable and satellite companies will come to an end and we'll be able to pick and choose a few things thru streaming...

We had a KVH TV5 installed when we refit Amazing Grace last winter. I had a Direct account and used it last summer, worked ok with standard def but never could get local channels. Talked to KVH and am switching out a couple of parts ($400) and dropping Direct in favor of Dish. Am told I will now receive HD programing. Here on the Chesapeake a Glomax or other over the air antenna is frequently out of range. They are Ok in the upper and bay but from about the York River to north of Solomon's I couldn't get anything with a mast mounted Glomax.
Really looking forward to all the "fine programing". (please note the satire)

We had a KVH TV5 installed when we refit Amazing Grace last winter. I had a Direct account and used it last summer, worked ok with standard def but never could get local channels. Talked to KVH and am switching out a couple of parts ($400) and dropping Direct in favor of Dish. Am told I will now receive HD programing. Here on the Chesapeake a Glomax or other over the air antenna is frequently out of range. They are Ok in the upper and bay but from about the York River to north of Solomon's I couldn't get anything with a mast mounted Glomax.
Really looking forward to all the "fine programing". (please note the satire)

We did the same with our M5: a new pcb and an outdoor contract with Dish got us up and running. We have the cheapest satellite box and then added an external hard drive we got from Dish. Now we have a DVR and can pause and rewind live tv and it’s all HD.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom