Thread: Balmar SG 200
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I’am giving serious thought to installing one of these to monitor the house battery. I have a 8D start and another 8D house battery plus a grp 27 generator starting battery. A ProMariner 1260c3 60 amp charger, I replaced all the batteries in 2016 before our cruise to Lake Michigan. The only thing I have to monitor batteries are the panel volt gauge for each and a volt gauge with a switch to check each one. I anchor out several days at a time, using the generator a couple times a day to cook meals seems to maintain the house battery. The normal loads are fridge/freezer, lighting - mostly LED, fans, electric head and cpap machine while sleeping, sometimes I also have a ARB 60 qt freezer. When checking voltage I can’t remember it ever being below 12 volts.
QUESTION — does anyone on the forum have one and what is your opinion of its usefulness? I thought having more information might keep me from replacing batteries sooner that necessary. Thank you.
I've installed one, but it is a bit early to pass judgment. I measure SoC pretty easily from an amp counter, and the SG200 displays what I would expect. I bought it for the SoH, which is a novel measure not readily or easily available by other means. It does not appear accurate yet, but I have only a couple of charge cycles so I hope it will settle down and be accurate. Mainesail had done testing and said it is quite accurate, so I am optimistic.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote