Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We keep a pack of disposable diapers onboard, highly absorbent for mopping up,useful working on fuel systems,oil changes etc, (perhaps even for those difficult moments on board which may necessitate a change of underwear). BruceK

Moonstruck wrote:
One of the handiest tools on the boat is a Yankee screw driver.

I'm going to make a guess that anyone younger than 65 years old has absolutely no idea what you're talking about.* :wink:

rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

I'm going to make a guess that anyone younger than 65 years old has absolutely no idea what you're talking about.* :wink:

*Lower that by 10!

Rob

37' Sedan

-- Edited by Datenight on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 05:59:25 PM

Datenight wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*Lower that by 10!

Rob

37' Sedan

-- Edited by Datenight on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 05:59:25 PM

*Alright, who let the kid in?
biggrin.gif

rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*Is that one of those old fashioned push on the end and that funny looking helix center portion makes the screwdriver bit turn thingys?*Often with purple colored wood*handle? Changeable bits and if you ever use a straight bit it's guaranteed to slide off the screw and gouge into your woodwork causing 4 hours more work than a regular screwdriver would?

I've never seen one and don't know what they are. Good call on the age, I'm 54, so I won't know about them until next year.
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:

One of the handiest tools on the boat is a Yankee screwdriver

*Unsurprisingly, quite unknown in Australia. Will it make coffee and toast?* Moonstuck having not leapt to its defence, is it a non-existent teaser? How about posting a photo.

BruceK

I use puppy training pads about 2'x2' they have an absorbent pad and a waterproof layer on the bottom Place it under the water pump when doing impeller shanges or other chores where I know water will spill.

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 10:03:45 PM

BruceK wrote:How about posting a photo.
Here you go.* Pushing down on the screwdriver causes the shaft to rotate.* The selector switch or slide determines the direction of rotation.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 11:56:12 PM

Attachments

• yankee.jpg
    yankee.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 75
Marin wrote:Here you go.* Pushing down on the screwdriver causes the shaft to rotate.* The selector switch or slide determines the direction of rotation.
Those were popular before they came out with those newfangled electric drills!

I've used them and yes, the bit would wander off the screw head and ruin your work.* As for drilling holes, they were slightly better than an ice pick and a pair of heavy pliers.

As with any tool though, you have to learn to use it properly and I suppose they are fine in the hands of someone who has used them for a while.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 9th of February 2012 07:17:18 AM

Hey!!! *didn't Elwood Blues use it to open that elevator controll panel.

SD

These are great for starting screws* this is an expensive wood handled model they are also available with good plastic srewdriver type handles for about $3.00 I carry one on board for small screws.

onepixel.gif

17P0101A.jpg

Isn't a Gimlet some type of drink?

Marin wrote:BruceK wrote:How about posting a photo.
Here you go.* Pushing down on the screwdriver causes the shaft to rotate.* The selector switch or slide determines the direction of rotation.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 11:56:12 PM

*Marin, you shouldn't have published that photo until next year when 2 Bucks would be old enough to view it. *Of course in the hands of an amateur they could cause much damage. *I, on the other hand, being licensed for high rise construction. am a professional
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 9th of February 2012 09:14:18 PM

Attachments

• enhancedmoonpics004copy.jpg
    enhancedmoonpics004copy.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 58
We used Yankee screwdrivers as well as other kinds in the set shop of the theatre in college. Back then stage sets were made of wood (today they are made mostly of metal). I don't recall having any trouble driving screws with the Yankee but we weren't doing finish work with them so we didn't need to be careful. Maybe that's why they worked so well-- we didn't care if they didn't.

Steve wrote:
These are great for starting screws* this is an expensive wood handled model they are also available with good plastic srewdriver type handles for about $3.00 I carry one on board for small screws.

onepixel.gif

17P0101A.jpg

I just use an ice pick and a pair of electrician's pliers.* :wink:

If you grind a flat side on the ice pick near the point it works even better.

Seriously, I usually use an electric drill, battery powered or plug in.* For hinges, I have a set of centering bits that put the hole in the exact center of the hinge recess.

I seldom use mine (never?) for hinges. But I use it often for starting holes in other places. Everything from cable hangers to picture frames. Often a lot quicker and easier than taking the cordless drill.

Back
Top Bottom