How Heavy of an Anchor for MS 34' Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

Our new to us Mainship 34' Pilot has a Lewmar windlass but not sure what model it is so not sure how heavy of an anchor the windlass will handle. We have a combination chain/rode with I believe 1/4" chain. Would like to ask other Pilot owners what size/weight/type anchors you have. Also, would a Rocna type anchor with the roll bar fit on the bow pulpit? Thanks for your input!!

I used a 35 lb Manson Boss anchor without the roll bar. The Pilot 34 has a slot for its anchor roller so the roll bar of the standard Manson or Rocna anchor won't work. You could also use the Rocna Vulcan anchor which has no roll bar.

David

I/m not a Mainship guy but I've got a 34 Californian that weighs 24K loaded. I've got a Lewmar 1000 and I have a 33 lb Lewmar Claw with 120 ft of chain on a combo rode. It serves me very well with frequent anchoring.

If you look on the Lewmar site, you might be able to ID the windlass you have.

My 07 Pilot 34 came with a Delta 22, which was less than ideal. The windlass we have is a Lewmar V700, which was a direct replacement for the original ( model number escapes me). We now have a Manson Boss 35 lb like David suggested, and are thoroughly pleased. It is the largest of this type that will fit in the pulpit and sets fast and sure. Even overnight 180 degree windshifts and 20 knots have not been a problem, albeit in a well protected cove. We have 50 ft of chain and then nylon and the windlass is more than capable. Typical depths to anchor in for us are <20ft., and usually less than 10ft. Good luck with your new Pilot!

Brett

We have a 20Kg Rocna Vulcan. I'm sure that would be more than enough for a 34 Pilot which has less wind area. The next size smaller would be enough.

First choose the brand of anchor you want. Go to their website and see what they recommend for your length of boat, then choose the size ABOVE their recommendation. Ground tackle is not something to go cheap on.

I have a 2007 pilot 34. I have replaced the original Bruce anchor with a Ronca Vulcan 12 that perfectly fits in the bow roller, any larger will probably not clear the windlass

Buy 2 anchors. A folding Danforth anchor of the proper size as a spare.
One should always have two anchors.

Another positive note for the Rocna Vulcan but check your pulpit as it is a broad shank with an angle.

Also--remember when checking winch capacity if you are anchored in 100' --at some point your winch will be working on the weight of the anchor PLUS 100' of chain--so, depth and amount of chain matters.

The issue is for the shank to clear the windless. I found the Ronca Vulcan 12 fits perfectly. Although I understand larger is better, it still needs to fit.

Where is the issue with fit? Is the shank too long? A Rocna Vulcan 20Kg (44lbs) fits on my 350T with a swivel. The pulpit of my neighbors 34 Pilot looks identical to mine. I've honestly never taken a tape measure to them though.

Maybe the windlass is further back on mine??

My 30 P II is a bit lighter but the 35-lb SuperMax works well for it as well as for a much heavier Grand Banks 36 I ran a couple of summers ago. See how well it fits too. This was AFTER the plow in the avatar picture was removed. I have a Fortress 37 diassembled and stowed aft in the bilge as a storm anchor.

Attachments

• DSC00847.jpg
    DSC00847.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 66
I recently inspected a 395 with a Sarca Excel. I suspect it could not have accommodated the Super Sarca. Can`t say how well that translates to this boat.

I had to replace the windlasss when I purchased my 2004 Pilot. I went with a Lewmar pro-fish. Later I added a Manson Supreme 35lb anchor. Not a great picture but it gives you a visual.

Attachments

• 1272272C-C039-4E01-B43F-BDD148129912.jpg
    1272272C-C039-4E01-B43F-BDD148129912.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 108
Thanks all for the replies! Ended up going with the Rocna Vulcan 12. Got it at Amazon Prime for $329. Will install it next week. Thanks again, Sammy

I have a MS 34 Trawler (2007) and I use a 66lb Bruce anchor with 300’ of 5/16 G4 chain. The windless does work a bit at depths over 100’ but has always gotten the pick home. This may seem like overkill but piece of mind is worth it! One thing to note is the size/type of chain. Lewmar is a UK company which uses metric so when the previous owner put new chain on the boat he did not check the Gypsy on the windless. I noticed this and after a bunch of research needed to change to a imperial gypsy (the cheaper option). I always recovered my anchor however it would skip under heavy loads, now all is good and I have a metric gypsy for sale ?

Rob

Rocna 20

We have a 2000 Mainship Pilot 34 and dangle a Rocna 20 (44lb) anchor from the bow of Providence. There is no problem with the shank or the Lewmar windlass. We usually anchor in less than 10' of water and have not drug the anchor yet. FYI, we do our boating in the Thousand Islands area of the St Lawrence River in New York.

Attachments

• IMG_7819.jpg
    IMG_7819.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
I hate to think of the shipping cost on a 44 pound anchor.

Cost? Well my friend, my wife sleeps soundly at 2am while the wind is kicking up and so do I. That alone is well worth any shipping fees.

The best place to “spend” your ground tackle weight in in the anchor.

Back
Top Bottom