Passage Maker trawler fest - worst money i have spent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fajah

Veteran Member
drove from Pensacola to Stuart to my first/last Passage-maker Trawler fest. I went to see vendors and hopeful find a couple that I am interested in for next projects.

I have read on forum about deals and vendors at past fest, boy what a difference. This on might have had 12 vendors, 3 or four were finance, insurance, or new boat sells. So nothing for me and $18 admission, I told the nice ladies on the way out, 20 minutes after going in, and got the usual deer in the headlight look from them.

Never get fooled again. Unless you want to look at some boats or need a seminar, don't waste your time.

I know this one is over today but just for the future.

That’s too bad. I used to live in Mobile and remember how long of a drive over to Cocoa.

However perhaps these boutique “Fests” like that aren’t so relevant anymore. There are almost infinite info and reviews available online, then you can always visit West Marine and other vendors for some hands-on time. Then there is the big Miami boat show. Etc.

Like the magazine...more about money than run of the mill boaters from many of the reports over the last couple of years.

Back in the 90s, I had a blast working a couple and I think the average visitor was getting their money's worth.

They used to have list of exhibitors in advance on the website. No more?
You can't beat the Miami show for seemingly everything under the sun (or should I say over the water) related to boats. I used to spend two or three days there just talking with vendors about my current or prospective equipment. Ft. Lauderdale is also excellent and even without a show going on, virtually every thing is available to buy or visit within a two mile radius of Lester's Dinner.

They used to have list of exhibitors in advance on the website. No more?
You can't beat the Miami show for seemingly everything under the sun (or should I say over the water) related to boats. I used to spend two or three days there just talking with vendors about my current or prospective equipment. Ft. Lauderdale is also excellent and even without a show going on, virtually every thing is available to buy or visit within a two mile radius of Lester's Dinner.

Let’s see, it’s 4:36...if I leave right now, I can be eating poached eggs on corned beef hash at Lester’s by 7...sounds good

Some years ago I attended the Trawler fest in San Diego. I lasted about 10 minutes before leaving as it was a real dud.:blush:

Since Bill Partalore sold PMM it has gone downhill. I used to spend a lot of time studying every issue of the magazine and then would refer to it many times in later years, now I read the magazine once and never find a need to go back and refer to it.

The Trawler Fests used to be really good as late as the 2000 era. Now I would not go since there isn’t much to see. Maybe if I was a newbie and wanted the seminars but otherwise not worth it.

I let my PMM subscription lapse a couple years ago and I haven't really missed it with so much information available online, including this site. It seemed like it was becoming pretty thin on content and ad-heavy although I did like reading what Zimmerman and Nigel Calder had to say.

We were planning to attend Trawlerfest Seattle in April. Maybe we should rethink. Last one we attended was 8+ years ago in Anacortes.

I went to Trawler Fest twice but it was to attend seminars: I went to Bob Smith’s diesel workshop twice and it was worth it because I knew nothing about Diesel engines...sometimes I think I still know not very much! Pam took the women and boating course. She quite enjoyed that. I also went to a short Steve D’Antonio lecture that was worthwhile. But the vendors? Not so much. I believe the Kadey Krogen folks were there, as were the Nordhaven people. But I probably won’t go to Trawlerfest again. There’s now point. Vendor wise, you are better off going to one of the bigger boat shows.

I had an e-subscription to the PM magazine, but i let it lapse and I don’t see the point to renewing it anymore. I get more out of Trawler forum than I do a magazine.

Jim

Ditto Trawler fest Stuart couple years ago disappointing so won't do that again.

Ditto on the Baltimore trawler fest in Baltimore last fall - we were disappointed. My first was just North of West Palm Beach in the spring of 2014? That's when we get hooked on the trawlers. That was a good but small show with tons of used boats for sale and vendors.

Jim

Agree 100%, my wife and I were firstimers to the recent Stuart TrawlerFest and we were grossly disappointed. We attended 2 seminars, one was simply a slideshow with a whole lot of superficial information on cruising FL waters. The other seminar was mildly useful but I would have probably got more useful information from the forum and books. As already stated there were few vendors and the ones there were not very interesting. Definitely not worth the time, effort or expense. Will not repeat in the future.

Interesting. The Easter Bunny isn't real?? Tooth Fairy?

We were planning to attend Trawlerfest Seattle in April. Maybe we should rethink. Last one we attended was 8+ years ago in Anacortes.
Same here. It's worth the drive to Seattle to see the kids and grandkids, drive by the marine stores, etc. I'd planned on going to Trawlerfest but I think I'll just spend that time bouncing a little one on my knee.

drove from Pensacola to Stuart to my first/last Passage-maker Trawler fest. I went to see vendors and hopeful find a couple that I am interested in for next projects.

I have read on forum about deals and vendors at past fest, boy what a difference. This on might have had 12 vendors, 3 or four were finance, insurance, or new boat sells. So nothing for me and $18 admission, I told the nice ladies on the way out, 20 minutes after going in, and got the usual deer in the headlight look from them.

Never get fooled again. Unless you want to look at some boats or need a seminar, don't waste your time.

I know this one is over today but just for the future.

I've heard about the amazing trawler fest for a few years and since I had just bought a trawler I decided to go. I also agreed to have my new trawler on display at the fest so it was really exciting. It was the 2018 Trawler Fest at Bremerton, Washington. Same thing, there were less than 10 trawlers on display and not many vendors. I was very disappointed. It turned out to be a very productive show for North Pacific Yachts so I'm happy about that but it was nothing like I'd seen on Youtube in the past. I don't know what's going on with Trawler Fest but it's going to be a thing of the past unless they get their act together!!!

Same. I stopped by the Anacortes show a few years back since I’m there already anyways. It was essentially indistinguishable from the Seattle Boat show, just smaller. But it makes sense. Today you can call literally anything a trawler, the word simply means powerboat, so how could it possibly be any different.

The marketing department won.

Ditto Trawler fest Stuart couple years ago disappointing so won't do that again.

I went to the trawler fest, in Stuart, more than 10 years ago. One walk through tent of 'toys'. Enough boats that one could take your time walking through and talk with the folks.
Yes, it is not Ft Lauderdale nor Miami but, I found the Stuart show worth the visit. One could actually see everything in less that 8 hours and then, go home.
My advice, if you have the time, the Stuart show is worth the visit. Dont go with the Miami or Ft Lauderdale boat show attitude.

Same here. We went to Stuart last year and left after about an hour. Very few "useful" vendors, although I did enjoy chatting with the Freedom Lift guy. We spent more time at lunch than we did at the fest.

Same here. We went to Stuart last year and left after about an hour. Very few "useful" vendors, although I did enjoy chatting with the Freedom Lift guy. We spent more time at lunch than we did at the fest.

Nice thing about the Stuart boat show is it is small and you can take your time absorbing all the information, taking with people. Miami and Ft Lauderdale..... hurry hurry hurry, you might miss something.

TrawlerFest

Full disclosure here...I am a frequent speaker at TrawlerFest events on the East coast.

The comments about the number of vendors is certainly fair - very limited number of booths and far below what any other boat show offers in that way.

As for the number of boats, that too is way less than the bigger shows. But it does have value - brokerage cruising boats for sale, and some good ones. But there might be 30-40 boats, compared to hundreds at a major show.

As some of you have said, the value is for newcomers. The classes I teach usually have 50-60 people eager to learn. Classes include how to buy a boat, how to handle a boat, how to cruise to Cuba, etc. In Stuart I taught a half day on how to maintain a cruising powerboat and another session on cruising the Downeast Circle.

In my view the event delivers on the educational side. The attendees I meet are new and thirst for knowledge. Many of the folks on this forum not only don't need those classes - they could teach them.

But if you are new to cruising or thinking about buying a boat, I think it is an excellent opportunity to learn.

Trawler fest

Totally off the subject, but where do you keep your trawler in Pensacola? I’m probably moving my trawler from its current marina there and I’m looking for some recommendations.

Too bad about the Fests - we went to the Baltimore show about three years ago, as relative newcomers, and really enjoyed ourselves - some good vendors, and about 25 boats. My wife picked out a relatively new Fleming 65 - told her great, just knock off a couple of zero's from the price and we are good to go :banghead::banghead: We have settled on our nice 42 CHB Sundeck, and she loves it also:thumb:

Fajah, I also went from Gulf Breeze, wanting to find out more about Mainships. Of a total of only about 30 boats, just 3 were smaller than 40', and they went up to about 70'+ at $2.5 million! But I stayed South and went to the Flea Market on Thursday before coming home - I just love that place!

I let all my subscriptions to all boating relatd periodicals lapse once I determined that I knew everything there is to know about the topic.:)

Bryant, The premier marina for live-aboards is Palafox, at about $14 per foot. It is at the end of the main street for life (Palafox) with a nice restaurant. Cheaper ones are in Bayou Chico, like Palm and 3 others. Retired military has the Navy slips; very nice and reasonable. I keep mine at my house on a canal at Villa Venyce, where other homeowners rent for income.

Full disclosure here...I am a frequent speaker at TrawlerFest events on the East coast.

The comments about the number of vendors is certainly fair - very limited number of booths and far below what any other boat show offers in that way.

As for the number of boats, that too is way less than the bigger shows. But it does have value - brokerage cruising boats for sale, and some good ones. But there might be 30-40 boats, compared to hundreds at a major show.

As some of you have said, the value is for newcomers. The classes I teach usually have 50-60 people eager to learn. Classes include how to buy a boat, how to handle a boat, how to cruise to Cuba, etc. In Stuart I taught a half day on how to maintain a cruising powerboat and another session on cruising the Downeast Circle.

In my view the event delivers on the educational side. The attendees I meet are new and thirst for knowledge. Many of the folks on this forum not only don't need those classes - they could teach them.

But if you are new to cruising or thinking about buying a boat, I think it is an excellent opportunity to learn.

From what I know, I also believe the educational side to benefit many. It does seem to me though that over the years there's been a huge swing. The educational side was increased and that was good, but then the emphasis on vendors and on boats was lessened. Clearly education and seminars pays more, but I'd suggest that it would be a better event if it was an event for all trawler and similar boaters. Established boaters are always looking at equipment and anchors. New and old are always looking at boats.

Sadly, it's hard to find shows with trawlers and trawler type boats. They are a small part of FLIBS and no one is going to put the used trawlers in the price ranges most of TF participants seek in FLIBS. The Miami shows just took place. No one could even figure out where these boats would be if they were there. One show which was primarily small recreational boats and the other which was Yachts. Yes, Swift Trawler was there, but Slow Trawler wasn't. Slow Trawler would have felt very out of place in both shows. Palm Beach does seem to attract some trawler types, but Stuart is where the trawler people expected to find boats and accessories aimed at them.

My criticism I'd offer of the shows as they've evolved is the same I'm offer regarding Passagemaker. Passagemaker had changed and the drive to generate income has superseded any drive to attract participants. At one time Passagemaker and Trawlerfest were "the places to be." Now, I see many saying they don't need to be there anymore. Both need to go back to filling the arena, not to the detriment of profitability, but to maintain the passion. The Dallas Mavericks have sold out every home game for 16 or more years, but only because they decided a full arena was key to maintaining enthusiasm. They would rather sell 2000 tickets for a dollar each than have 2000 empty seats. I would like to see them do whatever it takes to have more boats and more accessories and peripheral booths. While it may not be where Trawlerfest will make it's money, I do believe it will be a key to keeping attendance.

Take heart, trawler enthusiasts! PassageMaker's new editor-in-chief and its publisher seem to have realized that the magazine and its events have wandered from the passion and the desire for deep know-how that have been defining within the trawler community, and which PassageMaker exemplified for many years. As a trawler manufacturer, advertiser, and an avid boater I have observed (and bemoaned) the dilution and loss of focus that others have described in this thread. But I have it directly from PassageMaker's direction-setters that they are bringing back the focus on passage-making, and are intent on rebuilding their position as THE journal of the trawler community. The current issue of the magazine signals the shift -- a new look, and an encouraging editorial from Andrew Parkinson that communicates this course correction. In talking with these same people at TrawlerFest Stuart I suspect that we'll also see a reinvigoration of the TrawlerFest events. Looking forward to it...

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Take heart, trawler enthusiasts! PassageMaker's new editor-in-chief and its publisher seem to have realized that the magazine and its events have wandered from the passion and the desire for deep know-how that have been defining within the trawler community, and which PassageMaker exemplified for many years. As a trawler manufacturer, advertiser, and an avid boater I have observed (and bemoaned) the dilution and loss of focus that others have described in this thread. But I have it directly from PassageMaker's direction-setters that they are bringing back the focus on passage-making, and are intent on rebuilding their position as THE journal of the trawler community. The current issue of the magazine signals the shift -- a new look, and an encouraging editorial from Andrew Parkinson that communicates this course correction. In talking with these same people at TrawlerFest Stuart I suspect that we'll also see a reinvigoration of the TrawlerFest events. Looking forward to it...

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

That's great news and within just minutes of me suggesting the need. lol. It's easy to get a little off course and not realize it's happening until it's far off. Glad they've realized now instead of later.

Back
Top Bottom