Wiring in New Oven and Cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Just idiot-checking my logic here. Please let me know if I’m off-base.

We’re thinking of replacing the all-electric Princess range with a new GE convection microwave and a separate induction cooktop. I envision using the cooktop and convection features only while on shore power or the genset. We want to continue to be able, when underway or just getting up in the morning, to run the microwave off the inverter.

We have a Magnum 2812 and a 1250 a/h house bank that allow us to run our current ancient microwave easily for brief periods.

So if I wire the new combo GE conv/mw unit to run off the inverter circuit—which has pass-through for shore power when I’m hooked up—will I be OK? I’m thinking I’ll have the option to run the microwave on both inverter and shore power, but would only use the convection oven and cooktop on the purely 120-volt sources.

We’re thinking of replacing the all-electric Princess range with a new GE convection microwave and a separate induction cooktop. I envision using the cooktop and convection features only while on shore power or the genset. We want to continue to be able, when underway or just getting up in the morning, to run the microwave off the inverter.

We have a Magnum 2812 and a 1250 a/h house bank that allow us to run our current ancient microwave easily for brief periods.

So if I wire the new combo GE conv/mw unit to run off the inverter circuit—which has pass-through for shore power when I’m hooked up—will I be OK? I’m thinking I’ll have the option to run the microwave on both inverter and shore power, but would only use the convection oven and cooktop on the purely 120-volt sources.
Ian, on our DeFever 44, there is a 120VAC supply at the back of the oven enclosure that is wired to a breaker panel that is powered only by shore power or the generator. It is likely your Princess oven-stove is powered in the same way. You can use this feed to power an induction cooktop.

Our microwave and our Oster tabletop convection oven plug into AC outlets that are supplied through our Magnum 2812. All play well with each other and we don't hesitate to use the microwave on the inverter when we do not have shore power or the generator running. However, we don't use the oven while on battery power. It draws way too much current to use that way.

So, to answer your question, you will be okay wiring your combo unit to run off the inverter circuit. Just don't run it while on batteries even with your huge battery bank.

Ian, on our DeFever 44, there is a 120VAC supply at the back of the oven enclosure that is wired to a breaker panel that is powered only by shore power or the generator. It is likely your Princess oven-stove is powered in the same way. You can use this feed to power an induction cooktop.

Our microwave and our Oster tabletop convection oven plug into AC outlets that are supplied through our Magnum 2812. All play well with each other and we don't hesitate to use the microwave on the inverter when we do not have shore power or the generator running. However, we don't use the oven while on battery power. It draws way too much current to use that way.

So, to answer your question, you will be okay wiring your combo unit to run off the inverter circuit. Just don't run it while on batteries even with your huge battery bank.

Excellent, Jack! Thanks.

It’s great to find somebody with the same boat who’s made the same mods I’m considering. Looks like your progressing on the loop as well. Where do you finish?

You should be able to use the microwave while on inverter. Most microwaves are 900-1200W. Your 2800W inverter should work fine. Using the convection part of your microwave might be a different story. You'd need to look at the combined power consumption of the microwave+convection feature.

Excellent, Jack! Thanks.

It’s great to find somebody with the same boat who’s made the same mods I’m considering. Looks like your progressing on the loop as well. Where do you finish?
Although we started our continous loop last May and will be back in Galesville, MD by 5/15 this year, we bought our boat in Palm Coast, FL and drove her home to Maryland five years ago. That means we completed our loop about three weeks ago when we arrived in Palm Coast.

You will be perfectly ok....we do exactly that. With a better inverter you could also run the induction cooktop for decent periods...your house bank is big enough.

Induction Curious

Angus99,
I'm in the same boat (sorry) that you are..DF44, vintage 1983. My Seward Model P34-7, 120 volt, 3 burner/oven combo is original. The oven is ok but the hob is unreliable. I've replaced some components...burner elements, controls and burner receptacles....with unsatisfactory outcome.

So I'm considering a drop-in induction cooktop. I might abandon the oven entirely and replace it with always needed storage space.

Which induction cook-top unit have you selected? Brand and model? Thanks

We haven’t nailed down which induction cooktop completely, but leaning toward a 24” two-burner unit, since it’s very unlikely we’d ever need more. That’s still wider than the 21” range we have now. We like the clean, no-knob look of the insignia below. And they’re under $200 at Best Buy.

We’re close to declaring victory on the conv oven/microwave and I believe the 27” GE Profile unit will fit nicely after some cabinet alterations. Pricey though!

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Attachments

• 3096653E-1721-4439-A699-B74F711B2FE4.jpeg
    3096653E-1721-4439-A699-B74F711B2FE4.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 136
  • C4C7F429-04FF-40B6-AB0D-F565F67475B7.jpg
    C4C7F429-04FF-40B6-AB0D-F565F67475B7.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 38
Angus99,

I found this True Induction brand model MD2B cooktop which Amazon says measures 20 1/2 wide X 14 deep. This might fit the space now occupied by my Seaward if it's the same size as your Princess. I'm not at my boat, so I don't know the exact measurements.

I stumbled across this YouTube vid of a DIY replacement of a gas range/oven with an induction cooktop and a convection only oven below.

https://youtu.be/SAz8O0brU8I

Angus99,

I found this True Induction brand model MD2B cooktop which Amazon says measures 20 1/2 wide X 14 deep. This might fit the space now occupied by my Seaward if it's the same size as your Princess. I'm not at my boat, so I don't know the exact measurements.

I stumbled across this YouTube vid of a DIY replacement of a gas range/oven with an induction cooktop and a convection only oven below.

https://youtu.be/SAz8O0brU8I

Thanks, John. I’ve been looking at True Inductions myself. They should work with my install pretty well. Appreciate the video, too. Good to see how somebody’s done this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom