Old 03-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
IMO; each thru hull is a liability. Especially those that might hang out, like a transducer. I would remove ALL the unwanted parts, and fill the holes. I don't have direct experience with u/w plugs on wood hulls, so get a informed opinion on that one. I have done a number of u/w plugs on glass hulls. Up to about 2" dia. BUt that doesn't count for your hull!
Thus my comment. Which is less worse, through hulls not causing problems versus repairs of unknown quality? I'm all for minimizing complications but I'd want to be damned sure about any repairs that eliminated through-hull fittings.

As a side note, when talking to my boat guys yesterday, one of them lamented installing some pretty big through-hulls for sonar, in a Boston Whaler. For two reasons, one being the big-ass holes needed (much more than typical 2" units, apparently) and then discovering the sheer thickness of the foam in the Whaler's hull was longer than the transducer's standard threading. A bit of a scramble with the vendor to get appropriate length solutions and then the open-ended worry of getting a phone call about a leak/sinking episode...