WestMarine antifouling paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
From what I can tell, Westmarine PCA Gold is the same thing as Pettit Ultima SR 40.* The WestMarine paint is exactly $50 / gallon cheaper and I really believe it is the exact same paint.* Both contain the same copper content (40) and both contain the same slime ingriedient (irgarol).* Is this a case where the same product is sold with a different label?*

It would not surprise me at all. I know of several products that are "rebranded" as a west marine product but also available directly from the manufacturer under their own brand name. Perhaps call west marine and ask them or call Pettit and see what they say?
I guess pricing on boat products are getting like drugs...we need generics!! :)

Woodsong wrote:
It would not surprise me at all. I know of several products that are "rebranded" as a west marine product but also available directly from the manufacturer under their own brand name. Perhaps call west marine and ask them or call Pettit and see what they say?
I guess pricing on boat products are getting like drugs...we need generics!! :)
*A very sensible answer!* Think I'll call up WestMarine and ask them!* Now why didn't I think of that!** I'll be sure to post the response, but I wonder what that will be since they sell both products at different prices.* Like anything else I guess it is up to the consumer to ask questions.*

Woodsong your new boat looks very nice.* Please keep us informed.* Sell the old Monk to a loving owner.

Woody

Egregious wrote:
From what I can tell, Westmarine PCA Gold is the same thing as Pettit Ultima SR 40.* The WestMarine paint is exactly $50 / gallon cheaper and I really believe it is the exact same paint.* Both contain the same copper content (40) and both contain the same slime ingriedient (irgarol).* Is this a case where the same product is sold with a different label?*

Only Pettit or West Marine could answer that question and I don't mean the sales person at a West Marine store.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that they are the same product just because two ingredients are the same.* You're forgetting about binders, solvents, pigments, etc. and you're forgetting that the ingredients can be prepared in different ways (how fine the copper is ground, for example).

Does your mother make lasagne?* Does your wife make it?* Do they use the same ingredients?* Do they taste the same or different?

Chrisjs wrote:
How do you get the lasagne to sick to the bottom of the boat??
*Probably the same way as some get all kinds of stuff to stick to their running gear that they swear keeps growth of them.. :)

rwidman wrote:Egregious wrote:
Only Pettit or West Marine could answer that question and I don't mean the sales person at a West Marine store.
I think it would be a mistake to assume that they are the same product just because two ingredients are the same.* You're forgetting about binders, solvents, pigments, etc. and you're forgetting that the ingredients can be prepared in different ways (how fine the copper is ground, for example).

Does your mother make lasagne?* Does your wife make it?* Do they use the same ingredients?* Do they taste the same or different?
*This falls under the "no free lunch" saying.* I can't believe that Pettit*would use exactly the same ingredients or formula for their paint and have a cost of say $75 a gallon and then sell that same item to WM for 25% less.* Maybe it is like batteries.* I wonder*how the weight of the two one*gallon cans compare.* In batteries it can very by a bunch.* Same size, same voltage, same amps but the plate thickness is vastly different. Thus the weight is different.

Most*product manufacturers*sell a product for a reasonable mark up or go out of business.**Yet WM does not follow the rule.*They are over priced, by a lot, on every thing they sell.* It gets to be a PIA to have to price check them on everything but that is pretty much what I do.* Defender is the bench mark most of the time.** WM counts on folks coming in and just picking stuff of the shelf or buying for resale and the customer (end user)*takes a double hit.

For the most part*the lower price item is made to different standards.

Now back to the Lasagna.* I make it and it is just like moms.* Or so I think.**

*That brings us to the sign in the Cafe window:

"Pies like your mother made $4.00.* Pies like your mother thought she made $7.50"

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 09:39:27 AM

West Marine has taken to stocking items from manufacturers who are willing to produce and label a product with the West Marine label. According to an acquaintance who used to work at West Marine, many of the "West Marine" products they sell, including line and paint, are made to a lower or less exacting standard. For example they might tell you that "West Marine" line is made by New England Rope (which is what they told me a few years ago). It may be, but in examining the packaging, West Marine mooring lines are made in China. Doesn't mean they're no good, but it tends to indicate that the quality may not be what you think it is.

I have no idea if West Marine paint is made by Pettit. The only known fact is that West Marine itself doesn't make it. Paint ingredients are pretty standard so it would not be difficult to find a supplier, here, China, or wherever, to make up a bottom paint similar in specs to a paint made by Pettit or any other reputable paint manufacturer.

We have used Pettit Ultra SR on our boat since acquiring it 13 years ago with excellent results. So we have continued to use it. West Marine may carry a cheaper paint that has the same or similar formulation as Petit Ultima SR, but I have no way of knowing how closely it matches Pettit's branded paints, nor how well the quality of it is monitored. For this reason we do not buy "West Marine" branded products of any kind.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 11:37:52 AM

The consensus is "Nobody Knows" and so*I will let you know in three years!* I got three gallons of the stuff and so I will paint my bottom with it.

Paint has probably the highest markups from Mfg to retail of any product , home or boat.

A discount for a retailer that purchases by the box car would be closer to 50% than 25%.

Chrisjs said "How do you get the lasagne to sick to the bottom of the boat??"

That has got to be the best*followup comment*I have ever seen on this forum!*If you missed it, go back and appreciate it in context. I'm still laughing at it.

Anyone using Hempels?

*It's now available here in NZ and looks to be a bit cheaper than the local and other imported antifoulings. Hempels Olympic is the product I'm looking at. Aka*in some countries as Blakes.

Since it's still a big investment- about*1 boat unit*- I'd like to hear of any members' experience.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom