Ferry & Container ship collide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru

Attachments

• Collision.jpg
    Collision.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 247
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 235
Bulk oil carrier right?

Distracted driving on a grand scale.

Built as a containership according to name and flag.

Last edited:
Distracted driving on a grand scale.

Lol that's one of those that make people think. "How the hell did you not see a 1000ft long ship in front of you". I guess it isssame for cars. I've seen people rearend highway patrol cars with all the lights going on a clear day. :facepalm:

Lol that's one of those that make people think. "How the hell did you not see a 1000ft long ship in front of you". I guess it isssame for cars. I've seen people rearend highway patrol cars with all the lights going on a clear day. :facepalm:

But those are just average people with just a driver's license. Presumably this captain has spent a career showing sound judgement and responsible action, or he wouldn't be in his position. I'm not sure of the process to be in charge of a vessel like that, but its more than a few box tops and an entry form. And....just how distracted do you have to be. I'd guess he's been on the same course for about 4 hours....all he had to do was look up every 20-30 minutes or so for crying out loud!!! I get that it was dark, and a ship shouldn't be anchored in a shipping lane....but WOW!! I'd be willing to bet there was a little buzzer going off, or red light flashing somewhere, so even if he didn't look up he could have still managed to avoid the other ship.

Last edited:
..... Presumably this captain has spent a career showing sound judgement and responsible action, or he wouldn't be in his position....... And....just how distracted do you have to be. I'd guess he's been on the same course for about 4 hours....all he had to do was look up every 20-30 minutes or so for crying out loud!!!.....

Complacency, boredom, and perhaps laziness. Running a ferry is like being a yo-yo on a short string. You've made the crossing dozens, hundreds, thousands of times. It's much easier to remain sharp and focused when entering a harbor you've not entered before, or seldom enter. I'm not cutting the captain any slack, just offering one possible explanation.

But those are just average people with just a driver's license. Presumably this captain has spent a career showing sound judgement and responsible action, or he wouldn't be in his position. I'm not sure of the process to be in charge of a vessel like that, but its more than a few box tops and an entry form.
Yup, and he just sank his career in a few short minutes.

Don't the ferries have more than one person on the bridge at all times?

IMO and I think the Regs.....
Every boat at least two people. One to steer the ship. One as a lookout who shall not have other duties.
I wonder if the RADAR was set for alarms.

I always always assume the worse .... boats traveling near me do not see me and will not see me so I must maintain safety distance, whatever that maneuver entails

I always always assume the worse .... boats traveling near me do not see me and will not see me so I must maintain safety distance, whatever that maneuver entails

Always assume that you are surrounded by idiots, and you’ll greatly decrease your chances of ever having a problem. Keep options in mind, don’t box yourself in.
Just because you have right of way does not mean ****, don’t lean on that.
Just like driving on our streets and freeways, drive defensively.

Always assume that you are surrounded by idiots, and you’ll greatly decrease your chances of ever having a problem. Keep options in mind, don’t box yourself in.
Just because you have right of way does not mean ****, don’t lean on that.
Just like driving on our streets and freeways, drive defensively.
Within the regs if course....otherwise it's a free for all and last minute course and speed changes not within the intention of the regs makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

I see the " tonnage rules" types every day making some large boats ife more difficult by having to out guess the free for all captain.

Back
Top Bottom