CETOL C Retool olours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Shamu
Vessel Make
Albin 36' 1979
Hello to all Teak Re-Finishers,
I just scraped 20 years of Cetol that my dear old Dad put on the teak on our Albin 36. Comes off very easily btw. Just put one one coat of the new option Cetol Marine Natural Teak. It gave a gorgeous rich finish on the teak showing all the wood grain beautifully . But looking in the can I see the teak cetol is a dark brown solid mixture and so wondering if continuous coats of it will turn the teak to a darker more solid colored look? That's what I just scraped off and it was very, very dark after 20 years. I want to keep the teak lighter . Should I move over to the Marine Cetol or Light Cetol (I will finish with a clear) to keep the beautiful color I have now? Can anyone tell me what those cetols looks like when the can is opened ? Thank you :)

If you continue with that product it will get darker with each coat and the grain of the wood will begin to fade away. If you are happy with the shade you now have, switch over the the Cetol gloss and build up to about 5 coats or so. This past summer I did two coats of Cetol Marine and then 3 coats of the gloss. Now every season I will give it a lite scrub with a Scotchbrite pad and apply another coat of gloss.

This is what cetol marine light looks like. Kind of a golden orange glow to it. In the can it is a creamy golden orange color.

Attachments

• fishin (Small).JPG
    fishin (Small).JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
If you continue with that product it will get darker with each coat and the grain of the wood will begin to fade away. If you are happy with the shade you now have, switch over the the Cetol gloss and build up to about 5 coats or so. This past summer I did two coats of Cetol Marine and then 3 coats of the gloss. Now every season I will give it a lite scrub with a Scotchbrite pad and apply another coat of gloss.
Moreover Cetol gloss is the finish that contains UV inhibitors to protect the underlying cetol.

L

I will also add go to the Cetol Gloss.. I use Cetol , the Natural Teak 3 coats, and then the Gloss, 3 or 4 coats initially. The Naural teak will break down in the weather, sun, rain without the Gloss. The GLoss will protect it although it too will need to be renewed each year with a quick sanding and an overcoat or two or three more coats.

Agreed.....3 Natural Teak and 2-4 coats gloss down south. It will not darken like the older Cetol. This is 3 and 2.

Attachments

• 2018-07-21 08.33.16-1.jpg
    2018-07-21 08.33.16-1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 72
What I like most of Cetol is its not so weather dependent, I use to use the more old school varnish and you really need to plan doing that work with perfect weather (low humility etc) and those were the days I wanted to use the boat.

On bare wood I'm 2 coats base then 2-3 coats gloss.

Back
Top Bottom